Simple, Cheap, And Easily Mass-produced Cache Design.

Me_Rock

ok, i was just thinking about how i could make a cache...and then my brain jumped to pvc pipe. you know, the white plastic pipe that comes from hardware stores. ok, so you could get an 8 foot long section of 4" or so diameter pipe (or whatever you want) get a couple end cap fittings, and a couple screw cap fittings. get some pvc glue and primer, glue the permanent cap on one end, glue the screw cap and lid at the other, and you have a very nice-sized, waterproof, rugged, and simple cache. these things are so waterproof, you could put them underwater if you want. if you wanted to get really fancy, you could get a can(s) of paint made for plastic, and you could paint it orange (high visibility) or camo (duh) or any color you want. anyway, just an idea.

happy caching,

Phil "fredbobjoe"

Is it a full moon or what? What IS this recent of forum posters with pipe caches made of PVC pipe? This is all like, like, soooo retro! Like, gag me with a geocache! First, due to a hundred years of historical experience in the Western world with real-world IEDs (improvised explosive devices), they are a big red flag to both police -- and particuarly to bomb squads -- and even to ordinary citizens in terms of high risk for being a pipe bomb. Secondly, those coarse threads on the threated fittings invariably leak water. Oh, and those threaded fittings are also notorious for jamming and getting stuck, unless you lube the threads with silicone lube spray every two months.

It's not as funny as you think. Do a search for "pipe bomb" or "bomb" in these forums and read up on how many caches you can find that have been mistaken for a bomb.

Of course, if you do that search, you'll discover that gladware has about the same odds of getting destroyed by the men in blue as does PVC pipe.

Maybe, but why make it worse for our reputation by making a cache that actually looks like a bomb?

Oh, please tell us what a bomb looks like.

Oh, you got me. You're right, it's impossible for me to show you one thing that is "a bomb" and therefore there are no containers that are more alarming than others to the non-caching public.

I guess it's good that you approve of the container. If it were hidden in your area you'd steal the cache if you didn't approve (just based on your history).

Well - I apologize for upsetting so many people.

I was just trying to do something nice for others.

Next time I take my time to put together a step by step tutorial

on how to build a crappy container that doesn't stay dry - looks like

a bomb - and has been known to flare tempers - I'll go caching instead <_<

*laughs out loud*

Thanks

<3 BigMahma

Edited by BigMahma

BigMahma, you put together a very nice tutorial, it was sad that as I was looking through it I knew exactly what the responses would be :(

Yes, there are a few issues with this cache type. Some of the responses pointed this out in a constructive way, and thats fine. Some were one step above full out bashing. What a great way to treat a fellow cacher who was just trying to be helpful. :shocked:

I think you've hit the right idea, go have fun caching and forget the negative folks here.

Disregarding that it looks like a pipe bomb, that it leaks and that it's more expensive than a more voluminous ammo can - why would anyone want to copy your idea rather than thunk up their own? I certainly don't want anyone leading me by the hand to their caches, nor would I want to see a bunch of Carbon-Copy Cache Containers...

Edited by salmoned
Disregarding that it looks like a pipe bomb, that it leaks and that it's more expensive than a more voluminous ammo can - why would anyone want to copy your idea rather than thunk up their own? I certainly don't want anyone leading me by the hand to their caches, nor would I want to see a bunch of Carbon-Copy Cache Containers...

So, I guess none of your caches are in ammo cans, decon containers, tupperware, nalgene bottles, match containers, or film cans. After all they would be copies of other containers. You probably also hate the CCC thread and those that discuss camo techniques.

Frankly, yes, your guess is correct. However, even were I to use a one of those containers you mention, I wouldn't be copying someone else, I would use it as an independent idea of my own. It doesn't matter that that idea may have also been thought of by others. In fact, I do have ammo cans (none deployed as yet), but they will each have their own individual 'look' once deployed.

Addendum - My obviously constructive criticism is oriented toward the philosophy behind this thread, not the specific content. I don't believe there is much of an audience 'out there' wanting to be spoon-fed ideas for caches, cache containers, etc. Those seeking such advice are fully free and capable of asking for it, and they can be informed directly without unnecessarily impinging upon the collective consciousness. :shocked:

Edited by salmoned

BigMahma,

Thank you for taking the time to put together this excellent tutorial. I, too, have experienced some of the shortcomings of the PVC containers, but I still can appreciate the time and effort you put into this posting. Please feel free to continue to contribute in this constructive manner and make use of the constructive criticism offered. The rest can be ignored.

Frankly, yes, your guess is correct. However, even were I to use a one of those containers you mention, I wouldn't be copying someone else, I would use it as an independent idea of my own. It doesn't matter that that idea may have also been thought of by others. In fact, I do have ammo cans (none deployed as yet), but they will each have their own individual 'look' once deployed.

Addendum - My obviously constructive criticism is oriented toward the philosophy behind this thread, not the specific content. I don't believe there is much of an audience 'out there' wanting to be spoon-fed ideas for caches, cache containers, etc. Those seeking such advice are fully free and capable of asking for it, and they can be informed directly without unnecessarily impinging upon the collective consciousness. :(

If your addendum was true, then there wouldn't be threads like the Cool Cache Container thread, or people buying pre-made cache containers on eBay. And as far as 'impinging upon the collective consciousness', as its been said plenty of times before, if you don't like the thread or info and don't want to read it, don't read it. Simple enough. :shocked:

Yes, I could easily bypass threads of this sort, and usually do, but then perhaps the damage being done would remain neglected. I'm not posting to say "I'm right", I'm posting to point out a different perspective. Even if that perspective is ignored, it's the least I can do to make it available.

It's not as funny as you think. Do a search for "pipe bomb" or "bomb" in these forums and read up on how many caches you can find that have been mistaken for a bomb.

Of course, if you do that search, you'll discover that gladware has about the same odds of getting destroyed by the men in blue as does PVC pipe.

Maybe, but why make it worse for our reputation by making a cache that actually looks like a bomb?

Oh, please tell us what a bomb looks like.

bomb.jpg

Having posted that pic........... I won't use PVC either. I just don't want to mess with the folks who will take it wrong when they see it.

Edited by Thrak

I'll go caching instead <_<

*laughs out loud*

Thanks

<3 BigMahma

Nice healthy attitude BigMahma. Sometimes you just need a thick skin and a healthy sense of humor. :unsure:

I'm married and my first child is a girl.

I have to have a sense of humor - or i'd commit suicide.

I noticed the trouble people have been having with moisture. I recently put out a cache where I arc welded the sides of the container, then incased the cache in 25lbs of concrete, then wrapped it in a large ziploc baggie( man was that size bag hard to find!) I then vacummed sealed the bag and placed it inside a locked temperture controlled room especially created to house the cache. Its been active for six months and I'm still waiting on a FTF, but I bet that log is dry!

I've been trying to work out ways to build/camo containers, and while i don't plan to use PVC for the reasons you mentioned, I did appreciate seeing the steps taken by other cachers to produce containers. I won't be putting out a carbon-copy of anything, but seeing the ideas/processes of other people has helped me come up with my own ideas (which I probably won't post for fear of being ridiculed and told it won't work). So, thanks to the original poster for the ideas!

I've been trying to work out ways to build/camo containers, and while i don't plan to use PVC for the reasons you mentioned, I did appreciate seeing the steps taken by other cachers to produce containers. I won't be putting out a carbon-copy of anything, but seeing the ideas/processes of other people has helped me come up with my own ideas (which I probably won't post for fear of being ridiculed and told it won't work). So, thanks to the original poster for the ideas!

Browse through the 'Cool Cache Container' thread. You may get some ideas from what was posted. In the current 'ammo box' thread, I've posted a pic of my camoed box and a few suggestions on painting them. A search of the forums will turn up a few other threads on painting ammo boxes. In one (or more) of them, Criminal (I think) posted detailed instructions on painting them.

Unfortunately, the local rodents (desert packrats are VERY curious about new objects in their territories) will smell the coffee residue and perforate the container. They especially like the rim of the lid for some reason.

I used a folgers can like the ones shown and that was exactly what happened to it - rodents made a nest in it and it became one of the grossest things I've ever had to deal with. Replaced with a screw-top food storage container. Lesson learned.

AFA containers go, the oldest caches I've ever found have invariably been plain white-top rubbermaid, hidden in really nice spots. It's the really nice spot that is important, the container less so.

ok, i was just thinking about how i could make a cache...and then my brain jumped to pvc pipe. you know, the white plastic pipe that comes from hardware stores. ok, so you could get an 8 foot long section of 4" or so diameter pipe (or whatever you want) get a couple end cap fittings, and a couple screw cap fittings. get some pvc glue and primer, glue the permanent cap on one end, glue the screw cap and lid at the other, and you have a very nice-sized, waterproof, rugged, and simple cache. these things are so waterproof, you could put them underwater if you want. if you wanted to get really fancy, you could get a can(s) of paint made for plastic, and you could paint it orange (high visibility) or camo (duh) or any color you want. anyway, just an idea.

happy caching,

Phil "fredbobjoe"

...or I can go over to munitions and pick up a few free ammo cans.

Exactly.

I used an old coffee thermus as a cache recently - could that be a bomb?

A mentos container - could that be a bomb?

A gladware container painted camo - could that be a bomb?

In the history of geocaching - I truly wonder how many times a bomb squad has actually

been called to blow something up 600 feet in the woods.

With a little searching - I did find this. It's basically a little common sense - LABEL the Cache.

http://arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?name=...56c6bdb65e97f3a

Thanks for this information! With the national heightened state of preparedness over the past three (3) years, relating to IED’s (improvised explosive devices), police departments everywhere treat such “finds” with extreme caution. As is required for such possible serious/sensitive events, I was immediately contacted about this “emergency”: additionally our Fire Department’s Bomb Squad was tasked to respond. We all were greatly relieved when it was determined to be a harmless ammo box containing fill matter (rocks & earth) that was related to your group’s GPS hunt.

Our comfort zone may be less taxed, as well as our budgets, by diminishing our “off-duty” callout of emergency services personnel, if each “cache” had a label affixed externally that clearly explains this GPS game, to include 24/7 contact names and numbers. I genuinely support your group’s goals of litter clean up and outdoor activities; however, to preclude subsequent diversion of Officers to set up a perimeter and/or the unnecessary calling in a municipality’s bomb squad, etc., a phone call to you or whoever would probably clear up the issue.

Please think on this and let me know if this is plausible.

Thanks!

Randall

Chief Randall Aragon

Conway Police Department

1105 Prairie Street

Conway, AR 72032

(501) 450-6126 (ofc)

(501) 733-2111 (cell)

cpd.aragon@conwaycorp.net

I think that it isn't possible to determine what types of containers are more or less likely to cause bomb scares. In order to do so, you would have to know how many of each type of container has been used for geocaches. If you read through this of Bomb Scares and Other Funs Stuff, however, you will see that pvc causes more than its fair share of incidents. At the same time, it's apparent that no container is immune even if it's labeled. I'm convinced that hiding caches in places that could be perceived as a threat is the most likely cause for a cache to be mistaken for a bomb. Container choice and labeling are certainly important secondary considerations that reduce the chances of a cache being blown up. The recipie for a cache becoming a bomb scare is pretty simple: If somebody sees the cache, think that it could be a bomb, and calls the authorities, it's probably a goner.

This type of container has been used quite effectively before. It's just lately that people have become paranoid when they see it. I think that as long as it was clearly marked, and placed in the proper environment, it can still be used.

NOW, as for the water problem. I found a local cache (actually my first FTF, and my 100th cache find) that was so well planned and executed, (by local cacher Bluejaytoo, to give credit where due) that I would consider it the "perfect" cache. It was a multi, with all three stages placed on an island. The last stage was made from 6 inch PVC, with a solid cap on one end, and a threaded plug on the other. Now, here's where a simple modification makes the difference. In the end with the solid cap, they inserted an eyebolt, using washers and sealant to insure waterfroofness. It was hidden in a hollow tree. a short dog leash was screwed near the top of the hollow, just out of sight. pull it out, and unsnap the leash to open it. close it up, snap the leash, and drop it back in, and the container hangs with the threaded end down. Any water that finds it"s way in there just drips off the flange. Dry as a bone!

So, fredboboie, there's nothing wrong with the container. It just has to be used in the right place, and placed so it is waterproof. :laughing:

Edited by H2OBob

A Paramedic for the FD I work at bought a length of piper and two caps to do some work at home when he got off duty. he stored it (assembled) in a compartment on the ambulance then forgot it when he went home.

The next morning guess what the on-coming Medics found...thats right...the EOD team was called out and the Fire Station evacuated etc.

Believe me when I tell you that ANYTHING that even resembles a bomb will be taken very seriously by Law Enforcement and it won't matter what it has stenciled on it.

In the Post 9-11 times people call in reports of "Suspicious Person" snooping under/around bridges etc.

Don't do anything tomake it worse.

GL and Good Hunting

A Paramedic for the FD I work at bought a length of piper and two caps to do some work at home when he got off duty. he stored it (assembled) in a compartment on the ambulance then forgot it when he went home.

The next morning guess what the on-coming Medics found...thats right...the EOD team was called out and the Fire Station evacuated etc.

Believe me when I tell you that ANYTHING that even resembles a bomb will be taken very seriously by Law Enforcement and it won't matter what it has stenciled on it.

In the Post 9-11 times people call in reports of "Suspicious Person" snooping under/around bridges etc.

Don't do anything tomake it worse.

GL and Good Hunting

I suspect that location played a big part in your example. It also plays a big part in our game. Obviously, we should match each container to the location. For this reason, PVC pipe caches and ammo baxes play better in the woods than they would in urban settings (or inside ambulances).

BTW, PVC pipe caches can be camoed to look very much like a broken limb. Food for thought...