Choosing Pictures For The Main Page

Thot

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I tried searching but was either buried in hits or got none.

Seems like I read somewhere how the pictures for the front/main page are chosen. If I remember right the staff chooses them.

I suggest a voting line of radio buttons be added below the photos in logs and galleries 1 worst to 5 best. Then display the photos with the highest member ratings. I realize there's a potential for abuse but ask people not to vote multiple times and see if it turns out to be a problem rather than imagining it will be.

Doesn't anyone else think this is an idea worth pursuing?

Only if material reward was involved in some way.

I think the staff is doing a good job picking photos representing the people and location of Geocaching. You can always e-mail Groundspeak to let them know that you like or dislike a certain photo. No need to make it a contest. (otherwise, why vote?)

[No need to make it a contest. (otherwise, why vote?)

It's not to make it a contest -- the current method is as much of a contest as what I'm suggesting. My objective is to try to get a broad selection of good shots. There must be 10s of thousands of pictures posted every week. The staff can't hope to do anything but sample a small number of the shots posted. My suggested method would cross all pictures posted.

Edited by Thot
I'd like to know this too, some of my caches have some cool photos...

I'm guessing they put a dipper in the ocean and choose the best from what's in the dipper. Chances any of yours are in the dipper is not very great. They do choose some terrific shots, but others -- not so much. My idea is to have thousands of eyes looking over the entire ocean for good shots.

In addition to the use on the opening screen, maybe create a "Best of the Gallery" page with thumbnails of the top few hundred listed in order.

Edited by Thot

Yep. Selecting from the most recent pages of the photo gallery also ensures that the banner photos are topical. For example, in April we see lots of CITO photos. Right now we see Green Jeep Photos. Around Memorial Day weekend we see pocket cache photos.

:):):):huh::P

I'm guessing they put a dipper in the ocean and choose the best from what's in the dipper.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they just look at the recent images every day and choose a few from that.

And do they look through all of the pictures for each day, or just a sampling? In the set you linked to there were 1000 pictures dated today, and I couldn't tell if that was all of the pictures for for today or that list just cuts off arbitrarily after 50 pages. Seem unlikely that there have been exactly 1000 pictures today.

I could easily be mistaken, but it seems like I remember seeing same pictures on the front page for more than one day.

Edited by Thot

Yep. Selecting from the most recent pages of the photo gallery also ensures that the banner photos are topical. For example, in April we see lots of CITO photos. Right now we see Green Jeep Photos. Around Memorial Day weekend we see pocket cache photos.

That wouldn't affect my proposal. They can have any age cutoff they want.

That wouldn't affect my proposal. They can have any age cutoff they want.

[No need to make it a contest. (otherwise, why vote?)

It's not to make it a contest -- the current method is as much of a contest as what I'm suggesting. My objective is to try to get a broad selection of good shots. There must be 10s of thousands of pictures posted every week. The staff can't hope to do anything but sample a small number of the shots posted. My suggested method would cross all pictures posted.

Having a [Rate This Photo] button will influence some people to change their photo taking habits. It can be a good thing, since people will try to take better ones. Personally, I'd ignore it, since I take photos for TBs, cache owners, and next visitors and don't care whether they end up on the main page or not.

Since I'm not TPTB, I can only speculate on what they think. Since this requires writing more code, they'll have to decide whether the additional work and consequences are worth it.

I'm guessing they put a dipper in the ocean and choose the best from what's in the dipper.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they just look at the recent images every day and choose a few from that.

And do they look through all of the pictures for each day, or just a sampling? In the set you linked to there were 1000 pictures dated today, and I couldn't tell if that was all of the pictures for for today or that list just cuts off arbitrarily after 50 pages. Seem unlikely that there have been exactly 1000 pictures today.

I could easily be mistaken, but it seems like I remember seeing same pictures on the front page for more than one day.

They don't update the pictures very often. Maybe every few weeks they'll add a few?

Doesn't anyone else think this is an idea worth pursuing?

Bubbling up content is always fun. It's something I'd like to get to someday but it keeps dropping off the priority list. It's definitely a cool idea!

It was a good idea in February 2005 when I first suggested it. :lol::ph34r: But when I look at all the more substantive improvements since then, like Google map integration and caches along a route, I can't get too impatient about the window dressing!

Too much trouble for the suggested purpose. Although it would be cool to be able to vote on photos, it would be for other purposes than the main page.

For the main page photos, how about a permanent forum thread where members can suggest photos instead of creating a new topic or email each time?

Okay, how about this. Until a voting scheme can be produced (and I still support one), how about a button at the bottom of each photo. Members could click the button if they think the picture should be featured in a "best" collection. There would be a "best" area where all these "featured" pictures are displayed. It would

show the name of the cacher who featured the photo. Start with no constraints.

Then abuse becomes a problem (some people featuring every picture they come to, limit the number of photos an individual can feature in some period of time (10 per day, 30 per week, etc.) and have a total number limit with a FIFO cutoff. Perhaps don't let a person "feature" pictures from their own logs.