"discovered On-line"

wendoger

Hi Wendoger

You have a picture of your Travel Bug listed on the TB webpage.

If you look at that picture you can clearly see the number on the tag. This Tracking Number is what allowed AzQuadRyder to "discover" the bug. The "discover" log type means that a geocacher has seen the bug or the number but has not picked up the bug.

In this case it is not a legitimate log but the "discover" option was used correctly. You can prevent this from happening by making sure that any pictures, especially those in a TB gallery, do not show the TB tracking code.

You wil have to revist the picture and use a graphic software program to edit out the tracking code.

Good luck with your new cache!

You can send an email to the geocacher who "discovered" your TB's secret tracking code, I am not sure whether you want to curse them or thank them though. ;)

Seems this cacher has logged over 20 travel bugs this way.

For awhile logging "virtual" travel bugs was a practice that I am ashamed to say early on I did myself in my early enthusiasm for the hobby (which in a way is realted to this incident). I now however limit myself to only logging TBs that I have actually physically encountered.

Check any one of the green jeps, that tracking number is shown in the picture. If "they" didn't want it discovered why show the tracking number?

The same picture is used for all the Jeeps, so they all show the same tracking number (JP8M3W). And as thehaggishunter pointed out, that particular Jeep ("Copper Mountain (CO)") has since been locked. Looks like people will have to actually find a real GJTB to get that little icon. <_<

But they have now deleted all the "discovered" logs and locked the TB - I had a green icon for a couple of days - lol

Why did they delete, because the contest hasn't started yet?

Check out the "How to Log a Travel Bug" topic that's pinned at the top of this forum. Near the end it says

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play.

Virtual logs go against the spirit of geocaching, which is to go out into the great outdoors to find things.

dave

Purposely allowing people to log your travel virtually can result in the TB page being locked. Posting photos showing the numbers is a no no. Remove the photo, or smudge the numbers in the photo with a photo editor. DELETE all virtual logs when they happen. Virtual logging is abuse of the system and just plain cheating. You don't want your TB page being locked, so it's best not to post the numbers where others can pull this stunt.

What does this mean?

I made a new cache and before it was ever found a guy had discovered the travel bug I put in it. How can ya do that? I dont get it. I looked around for some info about it but alas, nuttin'.

Thanks....

Wendoger

A "quirk" of the system that may have led the cacher to the TB in your cache is that TB drop logs show up based on the posted date of the log, not the cache approval date on the "Geocaching in <State> page which is accessed from the upper right-hand corner of the geocaching.com home page. Here's an example for my home state. This is not an issue if the TB number cannot be seen on the TB page.

Purposely allowing people to log your travel virtually can result in the TB page being locked. Posting photos showing the numbers is a no no. Remove the photo, or smudge the numbers in the photo with a photo editor. DELETE all virtual logs when they happen. Virtual logging is abuse of the system and just plain cheating. You don't want your TB page being locked, so it's best not to post the numbers where others can pull this stunt.

I'm seeing an increasing number of people (and not always newbies) referring to the TB by number when logging it (not any of mine though!).

Could the problem occur that people could later "virtually discover" the TB and so have the TB page locked, although the owner didn't ever give the number away?

Presumably it's down to the owner to stamp on this when it happens?

I'm seeing an increasing number of people (and not always newbies) referring to the TB by number when logging it (not any of mine though!).

Could the problem occur that people could later "virtually discover" the TB and so have the TB page locked, although the owner didn't ever give the number away?

Presumably it's down to the owner to stamp on this when it happens?

Did you want this to be owner controlled?

Wow, thanks so much to all ya'll!!!!

I am obviously new at this and didnt have a clue what that meant. I have just deleted the old pic, smudged the number, posted it back up and deleted the guy's 'discovered on-line' log.

I e-mailed the guy 2 times asking him what that meant and I never got a reply, so I am guessing he didnt wanna say ;-)

I will be more careful in my future photography with TB's.

Thanks again to everyone!

Wendoger