Has The Heat Affected Your Caching?

Oops -- subject should say "heat", not "hear"!

We're going caching today and since we'll probably be doing some bushwacking, we're going to wear long pants (it's usually a good idea anyway since you never know where you'll be walking around). Anyway, we're in Michigan where it's 84 and very humid -- not very comfortable with long pants on. And this is the cool time -- it's supposed to hit 90 later. :rolleyes:

Are those of you experiencing this heat wave holding back on caching till it gets a little cooler? We'll be bringing LOTS of water today.

Edited by TeamDelight

I only wear shorts in the summer. Long pants would keep me inside.

My legs are all torn up, with bruises, scrapes and peeling skin. They look awesome! My badges of honor from my all-too-frequent bushwhacks! :rolleyes:

The heat is a bit much lately, however, so I try and keep my hikes short and in the deep woods to keep the temps down a bit. I've also been using my mtn bike more even on walking trails, keeps my hunts a bit shorter, keeps me moving (cooling) and seems to use less total energy. I do manage to find trails where I end up carrying my bike a bit, but it's been working out pretty well lately.

I wear grey Ripstop pants. They are cooler than jeans and give you some protection from brush and mosquitos. Thorns are still a problem so you have to watch out. When they get wet they dry out quickly. I used to wear them at work, but we got new uniforms so now I cache in them, along with boots. The heat has never been a factor for me, but my wife can't stay out in the heat too long. During the summer months, which in Texas can start as early as Feburary and last till October, our caching slows down a lot. Sometimes I just go myself. There was one year where we just put Winter off till the next year. We had 80 degree weather through December and didn't get cold till January.

f1304wn2.jpg

We're not doing any 8 mile hikes in hilly terrain in this weather, but we'll still go out and do shorter hikes of 2 -4 miles on flatter terrain.

I start wearing shorts as soon as its warm enough and keep on wearing them until late fall or early winter. Sure my legs look like I spent the afternoon in a slaughterhouse rather than hiking and I go through a few large bottles of peroxide and rubbing alcohol every summer, but I still prefer shorts.

My wife on the other hand always wears long pants even on the hottest day. Lightweight, nylon hiking pants which are very cool and comfortable in hot weather.

I always wait till the weather gets cooler to do some nice long pants caching. I hate wearing long pants in the summer. I've found that usually foilage is less in the winter anyway.

It sends us up into the mountains, where it's cooler!

I live in Nebraska. Not all of us have the privaledge of mountains.

Lightweight convertible nylon pants. I rarely actually remove the bottoms, but they have a long side zipper at the leg end for pulling on over boots, which you can upzip, then roll them up nicely to just above or below the knee. If you find you want them back to protect your shins, just unroll. Love 'em.

It's a normal summer here and it doesn't change our caching routine much, we're both quite heat tolerant. Did a long hiking series in the swamp last weekend, planted some more swamp hikers this weekend. Hard to carry enough water, though. Need a burro for that.

Lightweight convertible nylon pants. I rarely actually remove the bottoms, but they have a long side zipper at the leg end for pulling on over boots, which you can upzip, then roll them up nicely to just above or below the knee. If you find you want them back to protect your shins, just unroll. Love 'em.

It's a normal summer here and it doesn't change our caching routine much, we're both quite heat tolerant. Did a long hiking series in the swamp last weekend, planted some more swamp hikers this weekend. Hard to carry enough water, though. Need a burro for that.

I generally seek a cache wearing t-shirt, shorts and tech sandals. I admit that this does result in some scrapes & cuts on my legs, but that beats the hell out of sweating to death in 90°F + weather. In my experience, shins heal - but heat frustration* takes its toll.

*(no, that is not a misspelling)

This might not have been the hottest July on record, but it sertainly seems like it has been... And, I'm pretty sure that the tick that gave me Lyme did not crawl up my leg. And that spectacular case of allergic dermatitis did not start on my leg... But the blue jeans did save me from the geenbriar (Nice geocaching patch over the hole.) And I've never seen poison ivy like it has grown this year! I think that I would have givenup on half the caches and benchmarks that I've hunted this year due to the poison ivy, if I weren't wearing my long pants. Yes, they're hotter, but I consider them protective gear.

90 degrees is actually a bit cooler than what we've had recently in northern Virginia. We have been wearing long (cotton) pants, though, because the poison ivy has been terrible this year. An article in the local newspaper said that poison ivy is especially poisonous and widespread now because of higher CO-2 levels from global warming. That isn't very encouraging; also the tick population seems to be increasing around here. We have been looking mostly for urban caches or those right off paved paths, and saving the wilderness hikes for better weather in the fall.

We're going caching today and since we'll probably be doing some bushwacking, we're going to wear long pants (it's usually a good idea anyway since you never know where you'll be walking around). Anyway, we're in Michigan where it's 84 and very humid -- not very comfortable with long pants on. And this is the cool time -- it's supposed to hit 90 later. ;)

Are those of you experiencing this heat wave holding back on caching till it gets a little cooler? We'll be bringing LOTS of water today.

I wish it were "only" 90 here, we have had several days of over 100 degress with humidity in the 80% range and expect at least one more day in this heat. Like someone once said "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

I wear lightweight "convertible" hiking pants. The long legs unzip into shorts if necessary, but the material is so lightweight that it's usually not necessary. Saves me from briars, bugs, and poison. But I will admit the heat and humidity here in PA is definitely keeping me away from the high-exertion hikes. These near 100 degree temps kinda sap your strength.

Get out early. Wear shorts, ride bike, breeze feels good. Stay away from wide open paved places

I always try and get out at 6AM, this was today around 8, it was 20 degrees cooler than at noon.

Which is right where that picture was taken ;) .

Like someone once said "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

...and soccer players. My daughter started soccer camp yesterday. Temps are expected to reach the high 90's today, with a heat index of 110. And tomorrow its predicted to be hotter. 6 hours of soccer instruction followed by 2 hours of games. Then they get to go back and sleep in un-airconditioned dorm rooms. ;)

Edited by briansnat

Shorts for urban caching, jeans in the woods (although those rip stop pants look cooler). I just douse my legs/pants/shoes in DW Off and go.

Over 100 this week in the ozarks, yet Friday I was running around our state capitol, and logged 16 caches in a little over 4 hours.

speed = cooling breeze. ;)

I always wear long pants... The glare off my white legs would blind anybody that gets within a mile of me...

Dale

Same here, being of the Irish Race my fair skin is not designed for bare legs in the summer. But shorts while sitting on a pub stool is ok.

I always wear pants year round, you never know when it will drop into the lower 40's while hiking in the backcountry of Colorado.

Pants year 'round here in Alaska. I'm with those who've mentioned the rip-stop stuff - and Cabela's sold me some kind of meshlike stuff that's wonderful in the Arizona sun when I visit down there; otherwise, polypro or fleece is great. My approach to heat here is to sweat and hope it doesn't bring in the skeeters or bears. Of late, the sweat has been washed away by the cold rain showers. My wife was in Tacoma WA area last week at a camp with no air conditioning & temps just below 100. It was in the high 50s here. I related by putting my hand in the oven to pull out my pizza. Ditto on the white skin issue; I'm English pale white (like halibut belly, we say here). When I bike to work folks think I've got reflective white leggings on.

Now, none of this applies to my upper noncontiguous American brethren from interior Alaska - they wear shorts often in the summer. Don't know how they handle the heat up there around Fairbanks - it gets so hot the forests up there burned to the tune of over 5 million acres last summer...

On a different note, two close friends are serving in Iraq right now, with temps averaging 120 daytime in the shade. One's in a Stryker brigade - imagine being inside an armored tin can in the sun in that kind of weather. He says he wears every pound of protective gear he's issued, no matter what the temp. Makes me feel pretty puny worrying about 'protecting' myself from a few mildly aggressive thorny plants... (and after a weekend of bear encounters, well - we won't go there!). :(

I placed a cache just the other day that was a mile away via bike from where I had to park. It was pushing 95. All I can say is, you can NEVER bring too much water. Water = life.

P.S. I wore long pants, I almost never wear shorts. Also the downhill trip was a breeze! The uphill, not so much.

Down here near Houston, our caching is more limited in the summer. I can't believe the humidity... the only way to beat it is to get up at 4:30am and drive out to our location of choice to start caching with the dawn. Only confirms to folks that we truely are nuts... But, what can we say? It's that or not cache at all. We usually are out until noon or so, then head home. State parks are our favorites, and the new state park pass that we just got will be paying for itself shortly. As far as what we wear - hubby (Wile E.) wears jeans and a T-shirt and running shoes. I have some of those convertible nylon hiking pants and like them OK, but the beggars lice really likes to attatch to the pants and it's hard to get off. Still, better than the briar leaving marks on my legs and catching PI. I would prefer a slightly heavier hiking pant... But, it was so hot recently, wore shorts out yesterday. Have the scars to prove it. :( My favorite thing is a sunscreen shirt that I got at REI on clearance. Keeps the sun out without the mess of a cream. Am putting a long sleeved sunscreen shirt on my birthday list and may buy a big brimmed sunscreen hat soon, if I can find one. I love my shirt, drys quickly and washes easily in a sink, so can clean it before heading out again the next weekend. Plus, it's really cool and allows for a bit of evaporative cooling (depending on the humidity level...)

OH - and my sister lives in CO and finds that most caches are not visited at all once the snow covers the land... so all in all, TX heat is OK. I can still cache in it - and come December when she's only dreaming of caching (or freezing her fanny off snowshoeing up to a cache that she might find under 10 feet of snow) we will be happily out and about enjoying all of the weather and caches that were too far to hike to in the summer!

Edited by Wile E. Dragonfly

I usually don't mind hot weather, but at 10:00 a.m. here in Louisville, KY, the official temperature is already 86-degrees Fahrenheit with a heat index (what it feels like) of 96. The heat index was over 100 yesterday, will far surpass it today, tomorrow, and probably on Thursday too, with additional heat advisories in place.

I know it's hotter elsewhere and I've been out west several times, but the 100-110 just didn't seem as hot there. Maybe it's just because I want to go caching while I can before the school year begins and I won't have the time. Of course, it may finally start to cool down in two weeks when classes begin. <_<

Also on topic, I do wear long pants in the form of tropic-weight cargos. I want to make it a little tougher on the briars, ticks, and mosquitos.

Yes, it sure has affected my caching this past week. Today is the worst - it's 94 right now and the weather channel says "feels like 105". That's why I'm in here (the forums) instead of out there! Today is my husband's birthday and I didn't even BAKE him a cake...got one at the local supermarket!

On the pants topic, I wear those light nylon thingies with the zip-off legs too. That way, when I'm done caching and need to stop at the store, I can just unzip the muddy, full of briars part on the bottom and look halfway decent. :shocked:

It was 99 in parts of Massachusetts today and I hear its supposed to pass 100 tomorrow. Municipal centers have been opened to the public as cooling centers, Mass Electric is workin overtime and pools and lakes are getting extended hours. This is the first time I've thought twice about caching because of the heat.

I actually took a trip to a military surpluss store to see what they had that could make caching a bit more comfortable (actually I needed more ammo boxes). After seeing that the army uses UnderArmour, I decided to pick up a couple. I got these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WCCL...0428064?ie=UTF8

They work quite well. I don't know if they actually make you any cooler, but it removes moisture better so you feel cooler. $30 bucks a shot but worth it in the long run.

Robert

We're going caching today and since we'll probably be doing some bushwacking, we're going to wear long pants (it's usually a good idea anyway since you never know where you'll be walking around). Anyway, we're in Michigan where it's 84 and very humid -- not very comfortable with long pants on. And this is the cool time -- it's supposed to hit 90 later. :shocked:

Chico, CA July 2006:

17 days over 100 degrees including:

8 days over 105 degrees

4 consecutive days of 110 degrees or more

1 day of 113 degrees

Sadly this isn't even a record breaking year. 90 degrees feels NICE!

Chico, CA July 2006:

17 days over 100 degrees including:

8 days over 105 degrees

4 consecutive days of 110 degrees or more

1 day of 113 degrees

Sadly this isn't even a record breaking year. 90 degrees feels NICE!

Just checked the Weather Channel for Chico, California.

At 5:53 p.m today (EST, probably 2:53 or 3:53 PT), the temperature is 89 degrees (with a predicted high of 92), but the heat index only feels like 89 with low humidity and fair skies.

In Louisville at 5:53 p.m. today, the temperature is 93 degrees, but feels like 101 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Mostly cloudy still feels like over 100 degrees--not good.

Today I'd definitely trade with Chico, CA! I have a feeling that much of the Midwest and Northeast would too. The predicted low in Chico is in the low to mid-60s each night this week...aaahhh, natural A/C. Tonight's predicted low here for tonight and tomorrow night is a muggy 76...yuk.

(edited for spelling and to add local times)

Edited by Teach2Learn

High 90's - Low 100's are the norm for a Central Texas summer. Long pants (5.11 Gear) and long sleeves is my norm year-round if I'm hitting the brush. Short sleeves if I'm doing urbans. The heat kinda grows on you. Don't forget that Camel-Back with some nice cool water.

There is a saying, "it ain't the heat, its the humidity". I've been out in 100 degree weather in the west, but the air is very dry. Hot, but you can deal with it. When you add 95 percent humidity, it makes it unbearable.

I actually turned on my air conditioning yesterday and I hate airconditioning. I'm also considering getting the AC fixed in my car. Black car with black interior does get a tad uncomfortable. My wife and daughter refuse to ride with me.

High 90's - Low 100's are the norm for a Central Texas summer. Long pants (5.11 Gear) and long sleeves is my norm year-round if I'm hitting the brush. Short sleeves if I'm doing urbans. The heat kinda grows on you. Don't forget that Camel-Back with some nice cool water.

There is a saying, "it ain't the heat, its the humidity". I've been out in 100 degree weather in the west, but the air is very dry. Hot, but you can deal with it. When you add 95 percent humidity, it makes it unbearable.

I actually turned on my air conditioning yesterday and I hate airconditioning. I'm also considering getting the AC fixed in my car. Black car with black interior does get a tad uncomfortable. My wife and daughter refuse to ride with me.

Roger on the humidity! Know all about it as I grew up in New York City and am now a transplanted Yankee. Man has proven himself to be fairly adaptable to many environments. Improvise, adapt, and overcome! I spent a year living in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia where temperatures can top 125. Learn how to effectively deal with it. It's only going to get warmer!!!

My local forecast for today:

Forecast for: Middleboro, MA 02346

Updated: 8/2/2006 4:27:00 AM

Important Message

Excessive heat warning in effect until 5 PM edt Thursday.

Today

Mostly sunny. Hazy...hot. Humid with highs around 100. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat Index values up to 116.

Tonight

Partly cloudy. Hazy. Humid with lows in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening. Heat Index values up to 110 early in the evening.

Nope, I'm not geocaching today. No, I'm not wearing long pants today.

Edited by Boot Group

Yes.. home all week and zero caches... It's just too hot to be outside. Too hot to be dressed let alone in pants... The AC is good but we were without power for 2 hrs yesterday. Thought I'd die... Have my eye on one for Saturday if it is cool enough.... or maybe Monday....

We're looking at Saturday also.

We'll be down on Long Island for a few hours on Saturday. I notice there is park immediately adjacent to where we are going with a very high-density of caches in a small area. Looks like 50-60 caches in an area of like 2mi x 6mi, mostly traditionals.

Anyone familiar with Connetquot River State Park & Heckscher State Park in Central Islip (ZIP Code 11722)? This place is loaded with caches. <_<

I'll see if I can convince my wife to do a quick run through!

I find that my caching improves in the warmer weather. First it's the perfect excuse to take a long road trip through the mountains. Second I get to get some of those pesky micros hidden in parks. When the temperature hits 110 all those pesky muggles seem to stay inside in the airconditioning, allowing me to look as long as I want. Lots of water and SPF 50 get me through the day just fine.

We're going caching today and since we'll probably be doing some bushwacking, we're going to wear long pants (it's usually a good idea anyway since you never know where you'll be walking around). Anyway, we're in Michigan where it's 84 and very humid -- not very comfortable with long pants on. And this is the cool time -- it's supposed to hit 90 later. :laughing:

wow i wish it would be 84 here in Florida! I would have no problem wearing pants. I have seen the day where i was wearing pants and it was 96 outside. The heat dosent affected our caching here but once in a while if it's really humid it does.