I've Decided To Start Keeping Jeeps And Coins

Lemon Fresh Dog

Yes, it's true....I really like the little Jeeps and coins that I find, so traveller or not -- I am going to keep them.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

3) I release them....but I KEEP the PHOTO!

Now...I have a PICTURE and the REAL object can continue to travel. Isn't that cool?

Yes, it's true....I really like the little Jeeps and coins that I find, so traveller or not -- I am going to keep them.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

Now...I have a PICTURE and the REAL object can continue to travel. Isn't that cool?

I knew I was doing something wrong:

1) I Find Them

2) I Photograph them

3) I released the photo

<_<:blink:

Alright I am just kidding, I do not do that!!!!! The reason I said that thought is because I have seen that done. I went to a cache the other day and inside was a baseball card holder that had a picture of a jeep, on the side of the Jeep they photoshoped the TB number so it could be logged. So someone took the picture released the picture and kept the Jeep.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

1) I Find Them

2) I Photograph them

3) I released the photo

:rolleyes:<_<

Alright I am just kidding, I do not do that!!!!! The reason I said that thought is because I have seen that done. I went to a cache the other day and inside was a baseball card holder that had a picture of a jeep, on the side of the Jeep they photoshoped the TB number so it could be logged. So someone took the picture released the picture and kept the Jeep.

That is just so......wrong. <_<

Oh well.....folks are very strange ... n'est pas?

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

1) I Find Them

2) I Photograph them

3) I released the photo

I'm thinking that we should all just photograph our tb's and tags and send out just the photo. Much easier to replace and not nearly so collectable. And there would be so many more tbs in caches to find 'cause they wouldn't get stolen.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

1) I Find Them

2) I Photograph them

3) I released the photo

I'm thinking that we should all just photograph our tb's and tags and send out just the photo. Much easier to replace and not nearly so collectable. And there would be so many more tbs in caches to find 'cause they wouldn't get stolen.

Oh boy, a quoting contest!

One problem I see with photographing TB's (even though you where joking) is that it makes it way eiseier to copy a bug number. Someone could just scan your TB and make a copy...end result: Chaos. Website wouldn't know whitch TB to access. Unless there is something that makes it access only the origonal. But I don't think any such block is in place, otherwise, you would always get the origional TB if a TB had been lost and its copy was in circulation.

I don't release photos - -I release TB's. The idea of taking a photo of the TB is so that I can "keep" the memory of the TB that I helped along, post it to the TB page and the like. It is important not to post the TB number.

Personally, I would rather have a photo of a coin, Jeep, or beanie baby than having the real thing -- first, it is theft and second - how much "stuff" do I really need in my life? I already have a huge geocoin collection built from trades and purchases.

So, the whole point of the thread was to get folks thinking about other ways of keeping Travel Bugs. I am thinking of placing the quote:

"If you want to keep this coin/bug, feel free to take a photo! Please let the original move from cache to cache as it is intended to do."

If someone wants to keep my TB because they like it (and most of mine are very cheap keychains) then they are allowed to keep them, as long as they promise to cache with it and continue to log the miles.

I simply love it when a cacher takes the time to photo a TB with the cache or with something the TB is related to and post it on the TB's web page. I check for photos, and some cachers are the coolest people for doing so!

And what fun there would then be in discovering and moving TBs? I once found three photocopied geocoins in a cache and because I didn't like the idea at all, my "revenge" was to place them in very remote caches that are visited extremely infrequently. None of the three have moved ever since.

And what fun there would then be in discovering and moving TBs? I once found three photocopied geocoins in a cache and because I didn't like the idea at all, my "revenge" was to place them in very remote caches that are visited extremely infrequently. None of the three have moved ever since.

Can't resist this one. You just proved my point. You were not tempted to keep them but still moved them. Not everyone would go to that much trouble to leave them in remote caches.

I have seen people that photograph their own coins and send the laminated coin photo out instead of the real thing so that people won't "collect" their coin up and stop it from moving. I figure if that is what they want to do with their own coin, which I guess are expensive to have made, then good for them. I will log the laminated one, even though I would have loved to have seen the real deal.

I think "collecting" other people's travelers, be it TBs or coins, is stealing and I would never do it or condone it.

I have seen people that photograph their own coins and send the laminated coin photo out instead of the real thing so that people won't "collect" their coin up and stop it from moving. I figure if that is what they want to do with their own coin, which I guess are expensive to have made, then good for them. I will log the laminated one, even though I would have loved to have seen the real deal.

I think "collecting" other people's travelers, be it TBs or coins, is stealing and I would never do it or condone it.

Personally I think coins make terrible travelers, there's no handy way to add things like instructions tags, short of drilling a hole through it.

Mine are still carried by cachers and are moved from cache to cache, they just aren't left in one for anonymous retrieval. They can still be enjoyed and should survive much longer this way.

I'm thinking about setting a new geocache out there that is just a photo album. If you see a picture of an item that you wish you had, take the photo to remind you about it...but you have to replace the photo with a picture of something that you would normally have put in the cache. I think I'll put a photo of an ammo box on the front so people know what to look for. Maybe I can just get a photo of the log book and staple it to the pile of pictures. Took NOTHING, Left NOTHING, Found picture of TB and still took NOTHING...because there's NOTHING THERE...just a picture.

Um....this has sort of morphed into a "send a photo INSTEAD of a real TB" thread. The original post was intended to be more of a "see real TB, move real TB, take photo if you want, but don't keep it" thread.

Sending out a photo instead of a real TB has been discussed pretty extensively -- especially in the geocoin forum.

They took my Cache away from me, it's time to take it back.

You have not heard the last of the CACHE MUGGLER!

TB and Caches will not be safe from me!

Hopefully you are joking. Who are "they" and are you not simply repeating the same pain on others?

With only one post -- I suspect you are a SOCK PUPPET -- which of course means you have no spine.

opps.... my bad. I didn't realize that this was indeed someone serious -- I thought they were really joking.

It's always interesting to see how people that lack power or direction in their lives choose to manifest their psych into activities such as this. Ruin others fun, build false "empires", and otherwise try to be something...anything for attention. It's ussually someone that has a lot of other "struggles" in dealing with others or their own self-image. We should all hope they get the help and balance they need sooner or later.

It appears that these types of unstable folks are in several areas and countries (there is one that took one of my Travel Bugs as part of their "agenda")

Oh well....so be it.

Sorry. I was just blowing off steam like an idiot. I had collected bugs with the attention of putting them other places, but it turns out I had to leave to go on assignment. It turns out that after a good while I had collected 9 TB. That is my fault, I should have never kept them as long as I did.

But, I did return them. I put them all in one Cache which is now stolen. But the good news is that the last log said there were no TB in it. So, hopefully they all are on their way somewhere.

I know it was wrong, and the Post I made above was after I received numberous emails calling me every name in the book. One guy thinks I stole his Cache, which I guess is because of the name I picked. But I thought the name was funny, and I thought it would get the term Muggled out more. I was wrong. Instead, I'm getting blamed for everything that is missing in the Pittsburgh Area. Great!

The whole point of this message is to let anyone who reads this that I know now that I was wrong, and I returned all of them. Maybe somewhere someone is happy to see their TB moving again.

Once again, I'm sorry!

Sorry. I was just blowing off steam like an idiot. I had collected bugs with the attention of putting them other places, but it turns out I had to leave to go on assignment. It turns out that after a good while I had collected 9 TB. That is my fault, I should have never kept them as long as I did.

But, I did return them. I put them all in one Cache which is now stolen. But the good news is that the last log said there were no TB in it. So, hopefully they all are on their way somewhere.

I know it was wrong, and the Post I made above was after I received numberous emails calling me every name in the book. One guy thinks I stole his Cache, which I guess is because of the name I picked. But I thought the name was funny, and I thought it would get the term Muggled out more. I was wrong. Instead, I'm getting blamed for everything that is missing in the Pittsburgh Area. Great!

The whole point of this message is to let anyone who reads this that I know now that I was wrong, and I returned all of them. Maybe somewhere someone is happy to see their TB moving again.

Once again, I'm sorry!

Keep on caching! The choice of name is a little unfortunate, but keep having fun and once you've gotten the reputation as a TB mover I am sure that the ones you kept a little too long will fade from peoples memory.

Personally I think coins make terrible travelers, there's no handy way to add things like instructions tags, short of drilling a hole through it.

Mine are still carried by cachers and are moved from cache to cache, they just aren't left in one for anonymous retrieval. They can still be enjoyed and should survive much longer this way.

I've seen coins put in larger square coin holders where they can superglue it shut with instructions to keep it moving along in the open space in the holder. I have started scanning the coins we have found in caches, then we have a nice picture of the design and we can move it along.

I've seen coins put in larger square coin holders where they can superglue it shut with instructions to keep it moving along in the open space in the holder. I have started scanning the coins we have found in caches, then we have a nice picture of the design and we can move it along.

I think that's a great idea! I've been dropping my coins into a small ziplock baggie with a label to keep it moving like a travel bug. I store my coin in the square cardboard and mylar coin holders, but didn't think about releasing them that way.

Um....this has sort of morphed into a "send a photo INSTEAD of a real TB" thread. The original post was intended to be more of a "see real TB, move real TB, take photo if you want, but don't keep it" thread.

Sending out a photo instead of a real TB has been discussed pretty extensively -- especially in the geocoin forum.

We always take photos.. trying for something good to put on the bug page but often end up with something we'd hate to post but love to keep! Usually, thanks to the dog, who'd love to keep nearly all the plushie tb's we find, :laughing::ph34r: we get some shots of tb's just barely hanging from her mouth.. those we keep (the photo that is) while the tb gets moved on with a less, ah, revealing? photo :rolleyes:

(she doesn't damage them, other than a bit of spit)

It steams me with one of the GJTBs I passed along. I wish people had just taken the TB# and the photo.

I was the last person to place it in a cache. Then it disappeared out of that cache. Someone wanted to keep one badly enough to take it and leave the cache page showing it was there in Rider's Joy cache.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

This might be mildly OT, and I'm sure it has been discussed before, but when I type the word "Whore" into the search nothing comes back... (insert joke of your choice here)

I've discovered that not only am I an FTF whore/ho/addict, but I'm also extremely addicted to GeoCoins and travel bugs. It has been explained to me that there is something new called "discovering" TBs and coins, and I've also been directed towards 12-step programs, but I LIKE being a HO!

I don't keep the TBs or coins of others, I'm happy to move them along. But it is tempting to spend the grocery money on coins and TB tags.

Is there a support group out there (so that we self-admitted whores/hos (is that spelled 'hoes'?)/addicts can get together to support our addiction?), besides events, I mean.

Here's how it works:

1) I find them

2) I photograph them

1) I Find Them

2) I Photograph them

3) I released the photo

:laughing:<_<

Geesh, that was probably the same guy that took the Jeep Wrangler matchbox off my son's TB and that was not even an official Jeep TB. Why do people do that?

I retrieved a TB that was "advertised" as a Jeep TB. It was to be the first Jeep TB I had found so I was pretty excited. To top it all off, the Jeep had arrived in one of my own caches!

I go running out to the cache to log the Jeep, and to my dismay the Jeep was actually a plastic toy with a key chain on which someone had printed the number. What a freakin' bummer THAT was! I did NOT log the Jeep since it wasn't a TB at all...it was a surrogate!

Yes, folks, there are problem children EVERYWHERE. I quit the game for a couple of months because of a couple in my 'hood, but then I thought (FAMILY FRIENDLY) them! I'm not quitting the game because of a bunch of maroons!

The behavior of these folks, however, never ceases to amaze me :laughing: it's supposed to be a game...