No More Iframes?

Yellow ants

Don't laugh but, what is an iframe? I'm taking it that it is something that comes up automatically when i click to see someone's profile? If thats the case then i'd rather it not be used. The profile layout on GC.com works just fine for me and it certainly wouldn't thrill me to see something different come up when i went to look at someone's profile. Put a link in there if you want, but let me decide if i want to click on it to go look at your achievements...

Don't laugh but, what is an iframe? I'm taking it that it is something that comes up automatically when i click to see someone's profile? If thats the case then i'd rather it not be used. The profile layout on GC.com works just fine for me and it certainly wouldn't thrill me to see something different come up when i went to look at someone's profile. Put a link in there if you want, but let me decide if i want to click on it to go look at your achievements...

Frames were a early and failed experiment in HTML design. They allowed designers to devide up a browser window in to designated areas or frames. For example you could make a left frame and a main frame then put a menu in the left frame. If the main frame filled up with information and the user had to scroll to see all the information the left frame would stay put. This would keep your menu in the same place all the time. You can do all this and more with much more control by using style sheets.

An IFRAME element allows someone to insert a frame within a block of text. They don't have to devide up the entire window. They can set aside a designated area on the page as a frame.

The problem comes because the information in a frame doesn't have to be from the website that the frame is on. You can pull information from other websites and make them look as if they are from the website you are currently on. A side effect is that because this information is being pulled by your browser from another websitethe website you are currently has no control over anything that your web browser pulls from the other site. So if the website in the iframe has some bad javascript it can look like GC.com is the webpage with the bad javascript, the information on the other website never goes through the GC.com website to be filtered.