Nano Multi Cache

I'm sure nothing would happen to rice hanging outside somewhere. There's nothing that would eat it, and if it got rained on, no problem.

I'm not a big fan of nano caches, especially outside. But that's me.

Oops, guess I forgot to explain myself. The nanos would obviously lead to an ammo can or equivalent as a final container. I was just wondering if the rice would be too hard to locate. I actually had someone suggest that the special grain should be mixed in with more rice in a small container. That just sounds cruel.

I'm sure nothing would happen to rice hanging outside somewhere. There's nothing that would eat it, and if it got rained on, no problem.

Arpegio: The information is written on a grain of rice, and then the grain of rice is sealed in a glass vial. There is a solution in the vial that isn't easily absorbed by the rice (so it doesn't become soggy and bloat).

Team LaLonde: You would have to include the liquid. If you just put out a dry rice grain (with or without other rice) they would absorb moisture and swell--ruining the writing. It won't be smaller than some nanos because the vial to hold it will have to be at least the size of a pencil eraser. The liquid will make the coords large enough to read for most folks, so it won't be harder than the typical nano. Still, it will introduce people to rice writing and be sort of interesting--at least the first time they see one of these.

Of course, someone is going to break the vial or open it to see what the liquid is inside-- eventually. If you can write on the rice yourself, that won't be a problem. If you have to pay for it, that could add up over time.

I am of the belief that you should hide a cache of whatever size you want, if that's what you want. Just because you CAN put a larger clue in your multi stage it doesn't mean that you SHOULD. However, with a clue that small, expect a lot of DNFs. If you're happy with that, go for it.

You never know, putting out a cache that some people say is too mean, or too difficult, could turn out to be a great cache! I have one that is a large ammo can full of 35mm containers. Only one container has the coordinates to the final cache, and the rest are either empty, or they have laminated paper with things like "This isn't it, keep looking" written on it.

When I came up with this idea my brother, a cacher too, said it was too mean and people would hate it. He thought that if he opened a stage of a multi like that, he'd be so frustrated he'd just close it and walk away, and would log a note saying it was too much. He also said I'd get a lot of other cachers upset at what they'd have to go through.

I put the cache out anyway, and almost everyone that's found it has loved it. It's even been copied at least 3 times. The cache page has links to the copies that I know about.

So that just goes to show you, that if you think you have a good idea, go for it, and let the people that find it let you know if it's a good idea or not.

Idea itself sounds great, abet that my feelings are that it does need to be in an appropriate setting. When cachers are being creative with micros & nanos I love them, what I do hate is poorly constructed multis in which you have to hunt for an age for a micro that you eventually discover 40 feet from where it should be - however spending 20 minutes trying to find a nano on a bench/notice/... when you are rightly convinced that it is there always brings a sense of achievement and a salute to the cache setter. salute.gif

My only concern would be the glass vials and how tamper proof they are. I should also mention that those infected by swap fever will take anything - I have a nautically themed series in which each cache contains a small charm bracelet sized item, firmly fixed to the log book with pink climbing cord and with a water proof label also attached, they have been taken by swap fever victims (one even posted complaining that it was hard to undo the knot to get the item). Mind you if it is a nano/micro it is likely to be ignored by victims of the dreaded swap fever. <_<

I am also a proponent of the "Hide what the area will support" principle. Certainly it's your cache, and you can set it up however you want, but I personally don't enjoy hunting for something like a film cannister amongst 500 acres of palmettos. As long as the rice grain stage was in what I would consider an appropriate location, I would love it. If it was hidden in an area that could easily hide a Greyhound bus, I would hit my "Ignore" button faster than Rosie O'Donnell opening a quart of Ben & Jerry's. That being said, hide it however you want. Somebody, (or several hordes of somebodies), will enjoy it. I think the rice writing is a way kewl idea.

You never know, putting out a cache that some people say is too mean, or too difficult, could turn out to be a great cache! I have one that is a large ammo can full of 35mm containers. Only one container has the coordinates to the final cache, and the rest are either empty, or they have laminated paper with things like "This isn't it, keep looking" written on it.

I put the cache out anyway, and almost everyone that's found it has loved it. It's even been copied at least 3 times. The cache page has links to the copies that I know about.

That is soooo evil...... ;)

I like it! ;)

Make that 4 :)

Personally I would like to see something bigger or please make a note that it is a micro-nano so I can bring my daughter along to read it for me. Otherwise I would have to take it home and put it under a microscope so I could read it. Of course that's assuming I would be able to see it in the first place. So if you don't mind us old blind guys taking it home for a few days while we decipher the small writing go for it. ;)

YCYC - Your Cache - Your Call.

I think you have to be real careful with these types of caches. I know you can put one out, but I believe you should always ask yourself should you?

I believe that people who post here looking for affirmation about a cache placement are either very new or they want agreement on a questionable cache.

I say questionable because they may feel in the back of their minds that the cache does not adhere to the spirit of geocaching. Why are you asking us? If it is a good cache idea and you believe it will be well received or that you would enjoy hunting one similar, then place it. If on the other hand you are seeking approval for a shakey idea then rework it until you feel comfortable putting the cache out.

If you place a cache that local lore says is cruel, I'm going for it. However, while you WILL get lots of DNF's initially, that will be followed by a whole bunch of people who got the info from someone who legitimately found the clue.

That's life.