City Select

8mmag

Does the CS that comes bundled with the GPS18 contain unlock codes for two GPSr's or only one?

Is it already unlocked to the GPS18? That wouldn't make sense to me since you can't load maps to it, but that also made me wonder if it might only contain a single unlock code too, since you have to use the GPS18 with a PC, and if the intent is to limit each piece of software to two GPSr's, then the CS that comes w/ the GPS18 would only conatin a single unlock code.

The GPS18 dongle uses one of the unlock codes. You can't load maps to it, but you can use it with a laptop to plot your position. You still have the other unlock code to use.

I looked at getting an 18 (about the same price as City Select without it), figuring I could unlock 2 units and still use the little receiver if I wanted toi when traveling. Not the case.

Still not a bad way to go if you don't have 2 other GPSrs.

The GPS18 dongle uses one of the unlock codes. You can't load maps to it, but you can use it with a laptop to plot your position. You still have the other unlock code to use.

I looked at getting an 18 (about the same price as City Select without it), figuring I could unlock 2 units and still use the little receiver if I wanted toi when traveling. Not the case.

Still not a bad way to go if you don't have 2 other GPSrs.

Sounds about like I suspected, thanks.

Taking this a step further then, if I wanted to use the two unlock codes on GPSr's other than the GPS 18, could I do that? Then I could use the GPS18 with other PC mapping software via the new Spanner software, I think.

Taking this a step further then, if I wanted to use the two unlock codes on GPSr's other than the GPS 18, could I do that? Then I could use the GPS18 with other PC mapping software via the new Spanner software, I think.

That should be no problem. We use our GPS 18 with Streets & Trips fopr our road trips. Works great!

That should be no problem. We use our GPS 18 with Streets & Trips fopr our road trips. Works great!

Thanks, that confirms the Spanner part, are you also confirming you can unlock 2 GPSr's with the CS that comes bundled with it, and neither unlock is tied to the GPS18 by default, until/unless unlocked to it by the user?

Thanks, that confirms the Spanner part, are you also confirming you can unlock 2 GPSr's with the CS that comes bundled with it, and neither unlock is tied to the GPS18 by default, until/unless unlocked to it by the user?

Good thing to clarify. I can't answer definitively, because I went ahead and unlocked a map set for the GPS18, and I've unlocked the same set for another GPS. What I can tell you is that the coupon containing the registration number and unlock code also bears the serial number of the GPS 18. So I suspect one code will be tied to the 18, leaving only one unlock free for another unit.

sputnik's reply is correct. the gps18 uses one of the 2 unlocks in the package and the unlock is hard-coded to the 18 right from the factory - you do not have any choice in this. the second unlock can be used for another garmin gps.

you can also use the gps18 with other non-garmin software packages (if they support it) without using any unlocks - garmin unlocks are there to protect garmin's proprietary mapping information - city select, city navigator, bluechart, etc.

there are other nuances to this but this is it, in a nutshell...

Edited by Vlad