New Caches

I've also noticed that the rate of new caches has slowed down loads thanks to the hot weather. Just wait till it gets cool again...! :P

Nope you're all living in the wrong place, our rate of new caches is up by a third this month compared to the what we have experienced this year so far. Its also the secondhighest rate ever and three times the rate we had last year.

How many new caches do I hear you say - 12 :blink:

I've also noticed that the rate of new caches has slowed down loads thanks to the hot weather. Just wait till it gets cool again...! :(

Nope you're all living in the wrong place, our rate of new caches is up by a third this month compared to the what we have experienced this year so far. Its also the secondhighest rate ever and three times the rate we had last year.

How many new caches do I hear you say - 12 :unsure:

I suppose that when you live in the flat lands people are more likely to walk out for a placement. When like where I live, everything is uphill, people are less prone to walk-the-walk. :lol:

I've also noticed that the rate of new caches has slowed down loads thanks to the hot weather. Just wait till it gets cool again...! :(

How many new caches do I hear you say - 12 :unsure:

As I've said in another thread, we had 15 caches released in a 4 miles radius last week. Looks like I'll be saving on milage this week end :lol:

Around Tyneside last year (or within 10 miles of my house to be exact) it felt like a new cache appeared every other week, and most of them were either in an interesting place or just clever. As I have highlighted in another thread it seems that only one cacher is placing caches around me and doing several every couple of weeks.

At first this sounds great, but most of these caches are all the same and rather unexciting as a result. To highlight the issue I could not even be bothered to go for a FTF that was a few hundred yards from my home. I would love more cachers to be placing caches near me to up the variety of cache available.

Here's a map showing all the caches placed in the UK in the last two months.

Interesting stuff. Do also remember (unlike me at first) to log in to see the images though.

But surely there must be an equal amount of downhill too. :blink:

No. it's a scientific fact that any circular route does not have as much downhill as up. Not sure why but it's the same with cycling - it's always up hill and into the wind, whichever way you go round! One of those strange, inexplicable realities. <_<

I suppose that when you live in the flat lands people are more likely to walk out for a placement. When like where I live, everything is uphill, people are less prone to walk-the-walk. :blink:

Ah John tha whir yor wrong. Yis thas a lot flaaatr thi'n west of tha Fens (Lake District tha's round Cambridge roight Rutland Water, Grafton Water, Billing Aquadrome, ...) Being flat thars liss to slow the wind a blowing so tha's roight fast round herr.

Did 11 miles along loose gravel on a spit yesterday John, made Striding Edge seem like a breeze. If you send me the price of a pub meal I'll send you the photos and a beer mat for your easy walks <_<:)

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

For the whole UK, its somewhere on the region of 600 caches a month, of course this will come in bits and bursts, and will vary by area.

I've just realised that my 19th PQ is full - I've now amended it so that between June 26 2006 and July 27 it returns 485 caches - and that's within 200 miles of Swindon, as I've long since given up trying to maintain PQs for the whole country.

Quite a rate of growth anyway - just have to get out and find them now.

civilised

Is no one even slightly concerned about this, or is it just me

Not sure what you mean by this lathama. By my calculations there is one cache per 25 km2 in the archipelago called the British Isles. Even if you go to the six original hearth areas (see this post) there is only one cache per 11 km2, so it obvious that your concern is not about cache density. If its about quality control then I don't think that that is the responsibility of the local Reviewers and any attempt to impose it by GC.com would probably lead to an exodus to Navicache or Terracache. In any case if people don't like caches they don't need to visit them and they will probably disappear due to poor maintenance/muggling/... after a while. <_<

Is no one even slightly concerned about this, or is it just me

Not sure what you mean by this lathama. By my calculations there is one cache per 25 km2 in the archipelago called the British Isles. Even if you go to the six original hearth areas (see this post) there is only one cache per 11 km2, so it obvious that your concern is not about cache density. If its about quality control then I don't think that that is the responsibility of the local Reviewers and any attempt to impose it by GC.com would probably lead to an exodus to Navicache or Terracache. In any case if people don't like caches they don't need to visit them and they will probably disappear due to poor maintenance/muggling/... after a while. <_<

No my concern is not about cache density (thats for another topic which has been left well alone), i just mentioned to see that no one else ws concerned that we have had such a placing % increase. If 1200 were placed over the period of 3 years....by MY calculations that is around 1.1 caches placed per day. NOW THOUGH it has been quoted above that there were around 1200 caches placed in the last 2 months, which makes it around 20 caches a day being placed. IF this trend continues this will mean that there will be around another 3020 caches placed before christmas alone. OVERKILL?????

Edited by lathama