Hidden Mickeys In Disney World

I was just reading the post on searching for caches in Walt Disney World, and I was reminded of "Hidden Mickeys".

For those of you who don't know what they are, they're hidden all over the parks, and it is rumored that every ride has at least 1. The Hidden Mickey will be a Mickey Head or entire body hidden somewhere.

For example:

PICT0311.jpg

PICT0317.JPG

PICT0254.jpg

I am posting this because it sorta along the same lines as a geocache.

Maybe we can have people post coords to each one as they find them?

i go to disney all the time since i live in florida, i would not have time for geocaching there, nor would i want to carry around my gpsr while going on rides, there are so many caches that you can find without paying 60 bucks for...in my opinion.

What on earth does this have to do with geocaching? :unsure:

You can always count on the moderators to throw a wet blanket on the fun. I happen to find the Hidden Mickeys interesting and very much related to what we do in caching.

You all (moderators) need to lighten up on the forum participants, I'm really suprised anyone comes here anymore.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

This forum is for Geocaching.com topics. The site administrators saw to it that premium members have an "Off Topic" forum where geocachers can go to discuss non-geocaching things.

I'm not a moderator for this forum, just the Getting Started forum, but I would agree that this thread doesn't belong in THIS forum, but the off topic forum.

This forum is for Geocaching.com topics. The site administrators saw to it that premium members have an "Off Topic" forum where geocachers can go to discuss non-geocaching things.

I'm not a moderator for this forum, just the Getting Started forum, but I would agree that this thread doesn't belong in THIS forum, but the off topic forum.

I agree and this could be explained to forum posters as you did instead of the snarky remarks or comments. I am afraid many new visitors to thses forums could be easily turned off by such responses and either make them afraid to ask open, honest questions or never return here again.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

1. Team GPSaxophone is a moderator only in the Off Topic Forum. If he posts in that capacity, he makes that fact quite clear. When he's unchained and allowed to roam freely in the other forums, he is entitled to express his opinion just like anyone else.

2. Moving this thread to the Off Topic forum wouldn't help the OP much, since he is not a premium member.

3. I believe the topic of discussion has at least some promise as a Waymarking concept, so that's where I'm moving it.

I agree about Waymarking. Become a premium member and start a group. I'd be an officer in that one. It would be a great one for Disneyfiles.

It would be at any Disney property not just Disney World since they are at Disney locations worldwide. That makes it even more useful as a waymark category.

Go for it.

JD

I agree about Waymarking. Become a premium member and start a group. I'd be an officer in that one. It would be a great one for Disneyfiles.

It would be at any Disney property not just Disney World since they are at Disney locations worldwide. That makes it even more useful as a waymark category.

Go for it.

JD

I agree that it sounds like a great Waymarking category, though it might require a clarification to distinguish it from Hidden Mickey benchmarks, since I believe those may already exist as a category. Of course, the categories could also overlap and be fine.

Hidden Mickeys may already exist as a general Waymarking category too if you do some searching. They're commonly known among the millions of Disney fanatics. From the original post, it appears you mean just official Hidden Mickeys. That would probably have to be stated in the Waymarking requirement. Otherwise, people start to see Mickey ears at home, at work, on playgrounds, etc., and might try to log them. Hmmm...maybe another category for "Unofficial Hidden Mickeys." :rolleyes:

Edited by Teach2Learn

I did a quick check and couldn't find a Waymarking category for "Hidden Mickeys" (official or unofficial).

A WDW Benchmarks category may be said to include some since the benchmarks have the ears on them, if you consider those hidden.

Hope the OP or someone creates one.

Edited by Teach2Learn

I did a quick check and couldn't find a Waymarking category for "Hidden Mickeys" (official or unofficial).

A WDW Benchmarks category may be said to include some since the benchmarks have the ears on them, if you consider those hidden.

Hope the OP or someone creates one.

I haven't found one either so, it looks like this category should be created. Perhaps, we should turn this thread into a discussion of the creation of the category. Hopefully the OP will be join the conversation.

Benchmarks have never appeared in Hidden Mickey's list online or in the books because they aren't hidden by the imagineers. So here's my contribution to the category:

1. Must be on the Disney property (theme park, offices, stores, DisneyQuest etc.)

2. Must be intentional not accidental. They must be permanent (painted, constructed, intentionally placed) not accidental. The must have been installed by Disney staff as part of the attraction design.

3. Can be Hidden Mickeys or other Hidden Characters (there are hidden Minnie's, Donald's, Goofy's even a hidden Jafar is known.

4. Classic Mickey's (the standard 3 circles) must have approximately the correct proportions of one large and two smaller circles or an official source indicates that this is a Hidden Mickey.

That's enough to start. So who would want to be part of this group. For myself, I would love to watch these even when I can't get to the Parks. Hope this one comes off.

JD

Now, ya'll... don't be so harsh. I think it's very cool! I used to look for hidden mickeys years before Geocaching was invented.

Disney is full of visual puns, inside jokes... you just have to know where to look! Just like caching, you would never realize it was there unless you were either an insider, or could put the pieces together. Do a search for "hidden mickeys" sometime on Google.

here's an example -- in the MGM studios section, in MuppetVision 3D, there are several. One in particular was in the lobby -- it's a net, stretched tight holding up what looks for all the world to be colored cubes. you ask a cast member "what are those?" they'll answer "Jello!" Well then, in hidden mickey terms, "A net full of Jello," or in Disney speak, "Annette Fulachelo" (or however you spell her name) -- one of the original Mouseketeers.

The water tower with ears -- that's the "earful tower." Not Eiffel, but earful. Gotta love it.

The MGM "Big Movie" studio ride -- there are heiroglyphs of Mickey and Donald cut into the wall, and there are miniature ewoks hidden among the stormtoopers.

Lots, and lots, and lots more! Things were being hidden long before caches were!

Edited by joefrog