"north Up" Or "track Up"

Tymbee

I've tried using Track Up as the orientation setting when viewing maps-- but only for a brief period. Don't care for it at all and find it quite confusing and harder to visualize the "big picture".

My wife's preference on the other hand is exactly the opposite. With orientating set to North Up she has a hard time visualizing which way to turn unless she can read the printed turn directions. She much prefers Track Up.

Is this a male/female thing? Left brain / right brain phenomenon? Sure sign I'm losing it???

Definately North Up. It's just the way I have always read a map. My 60CSx came W/default set to track up, which I guess is the norm. I was thinking? What the hell is this? Until I read in the manual that it could be changed to north up. Don't worry, your not losing it. :blink:

I've tried using Track Up as the orientation setting when viewing maps-- but only for a brief period. Don't care for it at all and find it quite confusing and harder to visualize the "big picture".

My wife's preference on the other hand is exactly the opposite. With orientating set to North Up she has a hard time visualizing which way to turn unless she can read the printed turn directions. She much prefers Track Up.

Is this a male/female thing? Left brain / right brain phenomenon? Sure sign I'm losing it???

track up when zoomed below 1.2 mi North up 1.2mi and out.

the 60csx changes automatically and can be set to your preference.

My old gpsV did not do this...this is one of the new features I forget to tell everyone about but I love it.

Definately North Up. It's just the way I have always read a map. My 60CSx came W/default set to track up, which I guess is the norm. I was thinking? What the hell is this? Until I read in the manual that it could be changed to north up. Don't worry, your not losing it. :blink:

How is this done? I can't find it in the manual? Is it as simple as putting it back on track up? I figured it out!! Still seems wierd seeing Indiana on the left. I see..... track up varies on the direction your facing. North is up no matter what direction your facing. Do you still have to get your bearing when using track up? I will experiment with this when I finally get out. This weekend is going to be near 100. Not sure I will get in my first cache this weekend. Thanks guys....

My old gpsV did not do this...this is one of the new features I forget to tell everyone about but I love it.

That's what I'd like to see. How do I set it up for this behavior?

Obviously personal preference. :-) I like to use track up for in car driving and north up for trail hiking.

Same here. I look at maps so much hiking and biking, that I'm used to north being up. Track up makes so much more sense in the car.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Obviously personal preference. :-) I like to use track up for in car driving and north up for trail hiking.

Same here. I look at maps so much hiking and biking, that I'm used to north being up. Track up makes so much more sense in the car.

<snip>

Same here. If it is set to Track Up when I am hiking and I stop, the map keeps flipping around and makes me dizzy. :unsure:

If I'm actively following the map (hiking or driving) then definitely Track Up - I like my maps to line up with what my eyes see. Even with paper topo maps I'll usually turn the map so that it lines up with the terrain. A secondary reason is that the map screen (at least on the Garmin's I've used) is off-center from the current position, with about 2/3 of the map towards the top and only 1/3 on the bottom, so Track Up also usually gives me the best view of the terrain ahead. It's one of the reasons I started to really like the mag compass on my 76CS/CSx GPSrs - bop a button, map swivels around to what my brain thinks of as the "right direction". (My brain's one of those older models, so anything that reduces its processing load is usually A Good Thing. :unsure:)

If I'm sitting at home and just mousing around the map to plan something out, then typically North Up. Otherwise the map just ends up randomly oriented, which I find rather annoying.

Male vs female? Errr, I dunno - I'm male...make of that what you will. :lol:

If I'm actively following the map (hiking or driving) then definitely Track Up - I like my maps to line up with what my eyes see. Even with paper topo maps I'll usually turn the map so that it lines up with the terrain. A secondary reason is that the map screen (at least on the Garmin's I've used) is off-center from the current position, with about 2/3 of the map towards the top and only 1/3 on the bottom, so Track Up also usually gives me the best view of the terrain ahead. It's one of the reasons I started to really like the mag compass on my 76CS/CSx GPSrs - bop a button, map swivels around to what my brain thinks of as the "right direction". (My brain's one of those older models, so anything that reduces its processing load is usually A Good Thing. <_<)

If I'm sitting at home and just mousing around the map to plan something out, then typically North Up. Otherwise the map just ends up randomly oriented, which I find rather annoying.

Male vs female? Errr, I dunno - I'm male...make of that what you will. :blink:

Ditto that but with a MeriPlat.

Having been a Realtor for 16 years, and staring at maps DAILY, NORTH UP is the way I "see" a map, I can't "see" it any other way. Then again, I pretty much know my direction wherever I am, just a natural sense.

Same here. I have a friend however who can go into a shopping mall she's never been at before for 10 minutes, then come out and she's completely disoriented. Has no idea which way to go-- assuming she's able to find the car of course.

I do have to admit that while I think I have a pretty good sense of direction in general, when I do manage to get lost, that sense of direction which ordinarily keeps me out of trouble, somehow seems to act against me. Like feeding info into a computer gone haywire: "THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE... THAT DOES NOT COMPUTER... THAT... "

Weird... :(

How is the setting done? Thought there is only one setting allowable - either "Track up" or "North up" and not depending on zoom level?

I would prefer Track up to show me the direction that I am heading. North up is more for big picture view like looking at a paper map.

Anyway, as others said, its personal preference.

Cheers.

I agree with everyone else that says use what makes more sense to you.

I tried using track up and it made me all disorientated if I got out of the car and out on foot.

My main reason for using North up, (always got my head in the street directory (as a delivery driver) so that's what I'm used to), but mainly to keep a check on my orientation...

half an hour driving north east.....half an hour driving north......

using track up I never spent any time noticing the orientation of the compass to see in what direction I've BEEN travelling!

This gives me a greater sense of where I am and how to go on from there (without the need to rely on the GPS if worse comes to worse)

How is the setting done? Thought there is only one setting allowable - either "Track up" or "North up" and not depending on zoom level?

On the Garmin 60/76-series, underneath the Orientation (North vs Track) setting there should be a "Below" setting that takes a zoom level value. (If you read the two settings together it might be a little more meaningful - "Track Up...below 5 miles")

Edit to clarify: The "Below" option is underneath the "Orientation" setting if you're on the Map Setup - General page. (As opposed to the Satellite display's options menu, which provides North vs Track Up, but lacks the "Below" setting. <_<)

Edited by Munin

I am definitely a north-up person. as others have said, it is how you read a map. The flaw is if you are heading due south, then the orientation is backwards--something that is on your right will be on the left side of the map screen!

My girlfriend is the north-up person in our group.. I like the track up method with all the map in front of me. If I want to orient myself to north, I carry my compass at all times for this. I find using this with the track on allows me to backtrack easier and to figure out where I'm going on the topo map... But, no matter which way you use, as long as you get to where you want to, no matter how many turns you take to get there.

I use track up because its easier at a quick glance. If I want it north up I can just rotate the map in my head. For driving track up is definitely my perference. If i'm comparing to a paper map I'll just rotate the GPSr so its properly oriented.

Track-up below 800meters (about 2500feet).

For local navigation, north up just gets confusing - I want to know what's left and what's right of me - and I'm usually zoomed to this level when auto-routing.

For long-range nav, north-up gives that "global view."

BTW: I was taught to use a map "track up" when flying a plane. I have no idea what the norm is for nautical or terrestrial navigation.

I use track up, because I have maps on the GPSr, and as I'm walking toward the cache, or down a trail, I can compair the actual terrain or trail to what is on the screen. Seems logical to me, however, try both ways, and use whatever seems most natural to you.

I use "North UP" for land use and "Track Up" for Marine use... Not sure why... I guess because when I used to use paper maps in the truck they're all "north up" and all of the big Furuno or Northstar GPS I used on commercial boats were set to rotate the charts so your heading was always up.

Could you repeat that one more time? :laughing:

But, seriously, I agree with you. I hate using track up when I'm hiking-- it's way too confusing. But in the car it works.

Yea. Yea, Yea...I have worked my entire life around computers, I was already embarrassed enough. Thanks for rubbing it in. :laughing: