Starting In The Middle Of A Route ?

Starting Route In The Middle

If I have a route (a long route, 1,000 miles plus) setup on my 76Cx and somewhere during my trip I decide to use that route instead of just going to a waypoint, will it try automatically try to start at the beginning of the route, or will it determine where I am and begin routing from that point forward?

I have had both experiences with my 60cs. If I use a route and I am on the route the GPS wants me to take, it usually sends me to the waypoint I am heading toward. If I am not on the route it builds, it will try to reroute me to the beginning. Usually, at some point it will figure out I am not going back to the first waypoint and just start trying to send me to the next point.

How long does it take to figure out that you are not going to run the route in its entirety? I have worked with the routing and even tried to select the nearest waypoint in the route from where I currently was, but it really wants me to start at the beginning. It seems like it kind of defeats itself. It acts as if it is an “All or Nothing” thing with the route.

Well myotis, I guess that is the best solution. I called Garmin today to see if they had a better solution, and their suggestion was to route waypoint to waypoint (one at a time) rather than use a predetermined route. But I think that deleting the prior waypoint is a better solution. Oh, well.

I don't use loaded Routes a lot, but when I have done so (with Garmin Legend and 60CSx), it generally works fine without deleting any waypoints. I have been on a navigational rallys where you get the route loaded into the GPSr and there are plenty of times where the GPSr has to restart (e.g. new batteries) or where you get off the course or fail to follow a particular section. My experience is that the GPS figures it out and navigates you to the next closest point on the route.