Airline Travel And Gpsr And Numerous Tb

This has probably been addressed in here but I can not find it. Is there a problem with the GPSr on airplanes and further how would you carry the TB's (Carry on or in the luggage).

all I can tell you is my dd travels with them a lot. she rarely checks luggage. okay, realistically I think she never does<G>. I've seen her posted pics with gps working alongside tb to show speed etc...

last summer I went with two tb's and gps, both ways, left all in large handbag and it went through with no problem.

No problems ever carrying any of that stuff in carry on luggage. Most airlines cover GPS usage in the fine print of the inflight magazine. You can also ask the captain as you are boarding if you like. I have actually had several of them say "sure-that's fine", event though that particular AAirline's magazine says no. :D

I like knowing what I am flying over.

Edited by wimseyguy

From experience, you can pretty much expect a detailed search and a few questions from the TSA screeners if your carry-on bag contains travel bugs. Oh, and 50 geocoins. And a GPS, PDA, laptop computer, digital camera and all their cables.

Saying that the TB's and geocoins are "collectibles that I'm bringing to give to my friend" has always worked for me.

Wimseyguy - Your post about AA intrigues me a little.

I flew AA in June and as I boarded I asked the flight attendant about GPSr use. I told her that I knew Delta's policy, but had not seen AA's online. She said it was OK to use one above 10,000 feet as far as she was concerned. I had good reception, even holding the GPSr in my lap. I had an external antenna, but did not need to attach it.

As I was walking out, one of the pilots stopped me and said, "How'd that GPS work out?" We talked for a second until I had to move on.

I did not see AA's policy in their magazine, but I miss lots of stuff anyway.

BTW, I was wondering while I was only 8,000 foot in altitude. It didn't dawn on me until I left the plane, "Duh, cabin altitude, not actual altitude."

Also, I did not have any problem with all the electronic stuff in security. The TSA folks checked my laptop bag once. I was getting my shoes anyway, and it took just that long to clear me through. Putting all the electronic gear in one bag is the only way to go; the only thing not in the laptop bag was the laptop; and it was in the same tray.

I flew recently (July 9) and had no problem with carrying my GPSr in the cabin. There were no questions when I went through security.

On the second leg, I was at the window, and had a BALL watching the altitude and airspeed! I think the maximum was something like 631 mph? Cool! We had just gotten a new GPSmap 76 cx and got super reception. I don't remember who I flew with, but there was information in the cabin magazine that you could use it above 10,000 feet.

I was puzzled, though, that my GPSr said 35,000 feet when the pilot said they had reached the cruising altitude of 33,000 feet... an earlier post said something about that, and I now realize it may have been a difference of true altitude (mine) vs a corrected altitude taking into account the landmass.

I've carried just my cache bag o' tricks as my carry on. I had 2 GPSrs, my i3 Streetpilot, a compass, travel bugs, swag, coins and all the PC cables and power cords. Not a peep from anyone on 3 long flights. They "double checked" my bag once, but everything is legal, and I was told it is not unlike a CD or MP3 player on a flight: once you're at altitude and cruising, you're all set to turn it on. If they ask you to put it away, you do. If they have questions at the checkpoint, you answer them. Its that simple! :D

The issue with cellphones and things of that nature are that they put out their own signal that may interfere with the planes navigational equipment, but a GPSr doens't put out anything, it's a reciever, so it just listens for signals that are going to be surrounding the plane anyway!

Southwest Airlines: I asked the stewardess about using mine and she just shrugged her shoulders. I took that as a yes but of course didn't turn it on until the ok was was given to use personal electronics. I hooked the laptop up to the GPSr and with the Delorme mapping software, was able to see where we were, our speed, and approximate altitude. :P I do have the built in barometer, i think thats it, on my GPSr and it had me buffaloed with it's reading at first. Didn't take long for it to dawn on me that the cabin's pressure was screwing with it so i had to rely on the satellite altitude info. :blink:

The laptop that i carried on was what gave me the most trouble with check in when we left Texas. They checked everything in the bag using these little round wipes then putting them into some kind of machine that im guessing, checked for gunpower, explosives? residue. Luckily it went right through with only a visual check on the return flight check in.

I had my GPS and a couple of trvel bugs in my carry-on bag last month, (also had cell phone, digital camera, camcorder, a gigantic shell- all kinds of stuff that I really thought might get us stopped!)and we were not stopped or anything.

I did not try to turn it on during the flight, so no experience there.

I did not have any problems getting through security. But my GPS did not work on the plane. I had if off and then turned it on when it was ok and it never locked in. So on the return flight I left it on and then when we got to altitude it had lost reception, so I did not get to see the fast speed and all. :blink:

I've had no problems clearing security with GPSr and TB's. Use in the airplane was no problem, once up in the air and the call for personal electronics was given. My son turns on his Game Boy and we turn on the GPS.

My only warning about TBs is what is attached to the tag. If it looks like a keychain, then no big deal, unless the keychain is a pocket knife. Helped a geocaching buddy recently as he was heading back to the airport and he had a metal bolt like travel bug. I took it off his hands so he didn't have to "explain" it through security. If your TBs are McToy type TB's they are harmless enough. Just common sense tells you to not take a concrete brick TB in your carry on.......

Didn't take long for it to dawn on me that the cabin's pressure was screwing with it so i had to rely on the satellite altitude info.

I'd flown with the Legend and it worked fine on the tray table: location, altitude, speed all cool. :P Once I'd upgraded to the 60CS (went for S purely for the compass bit), I found that it would read cabin pressure but I couldn't get a constant GPS altitude reading - the electronic answer would immediately override it. No cool high-altitude tracklog. Pity there's no setting to turn of the electronic altimiter. :blink:

I've been all over the world with my GPSr and never had a problem at security except in Jakarta. The guy working there wanted to check out my Garmin as he was looking to upgrade hs own unit. I was expecting some official line of questioning when he pulled it out to look it over. Then he asked "How's the satellite lock under tree cover?" and "What cables did it come with?"

The only problem I've had stateside was with a cranky Continental flight attendent who thought my CSx looked to much like a radio.

TB's should be OK depending on what's attached to the tag. I don't remember if it was here or in a local forum but someone had a church key attached to a tag confiscated by TSA. Another cacher had an issue with a railroad spike.

The issue with cellphones and things of that nature are that they put out their own signal that may interfere with the planes navigational equipment, but a GPSr doens't put out anything, it's a reciever, so it just listens for signals that are going to be surrounding the plane anyway!

Pretty much all receivers these days are superheterodyne receivers. These contain oscillators. The oscillators should be shielded, but sometimes the shielding of portable electronical equipment is not of the highest standards, and sometimes the shielding is broken.

If that is the case, those oscillators start putting out all kinds of interesting signals on frequencies which may well coincide with frequencies used by the on-board systems. That is why many airlines do not like having radio receivers etc turned on in flight - and certainly not for take off and landing.

If electronical equipment is turned on, they do generally like to know it. In that case, they can go and have it turned off if they start seeing "interesting" behaviour from the aircraft systems.

Most GPS receivers are relatively high-quality products though, and thus much less likely to cause trouble than e g a cheap radio.

Radio waves in aircraft fuselages behave very strange indeed, sometimes creating nodes in places where you do not want them to be.

Regards,

/Fred

I had a little trouble one time going thru the security gates while carrying-on a tb, but it was made of chunky metal and with the keyring on it I guess I can see how it might look like a grenade or something. Maybe.

Anyway, after that fun experience I would pack them depending on what the TBs are made of (plastic, metal, whatever). Anything metal would most likely go in my checked luggage, and anything plastic would go in my carry-on.

Wimseyguy - Your post about AA intrigues me a little.

I flew AA in June and as I boarded I asked the flight attendant about GPSr use. I told her that I knew Delta's policy, but had not seen AA's online. She said it was OK to use one above 10,000 feet as far as she was concerned. I had good reception, even holding the GPSr in my lap. I had an external antenna, but did not need to attach it.

As I was walking out, one of the pilots stopped me and said, "How'd that GPS work out?" We talked for a second until I had to move on.

Eh, perhaps they have updated the magazine since the pilots all overruled it? I haven't looked it up in a while.

I'd flown with the Legend and it worked fine on the tray table: location, altitude, speed all cool. :( Once I'd upgraded to the 60CS (went for S purely for the compass bit), I found that it would read cabin pressure but I couldn't get a constant GPS altitude reading - the electronic answer would immediately override it. No cool high-altitude tracklog. Pity there's no setting to turn of the electronic altimiter. :unsure:

I find I need to keep the 60C close to the window to maintain satellite lock. I still have 640 as my top speed from a trip to Italy two years back.

My only warning about TBs is what is attached to the tag. If it looks like a keychain, then no big deal, unless the keychain is a pocket knife.

Never been questioned about all of the cables, batteries, gizmos etc. Was questioned about a golf ball divot repair tool one time. When I demo'd (on my own hand) that it couldn't penetrate flesh they let me repack. I thought I was about to get in serious trouble for grabbing it out of the searcher's hand, but had grown impatient with his stupid attitude. :( My bag was recently given a third degree search coming back from Dallas after GW4, but was told I was just picked at random. -_-

I really do appreciate the importance of the task that the TSA is charged with, and do take security seriously, but feel that there is a certain degree of inconsistancy that really bothers me with the process. I wear the same metal free trail sneaks to travel all the time. Sometimes, but not always I still have to take them off, or I'm asked if I want to go "over there" instead. :lol:

This has probably been addressed in here but I can not find it. Is there a problem with the GPSr on airplanes and further how would you carry the TB's (Carry on or in the luggage).

all I can tell you is my dd travels with them a lot.

What's a dd? Designated Dish?

What's a dd? Designated Dish?

:unsure::lol: about right! she could be called that. Dear Daughter, something used on a lot of forums, that and DS, DH etc..

She's a pilot. When I travel I'm always picked for a complete check. TB's have not been an issue for either of us. :(

She wasn't allowed to take her socket for her socket wrench on board, but a TB? No problem.

Last year, I was quite fortunate to have brought everything on the flight to Vancouver, since the fine folks at Air Canada left my luggage behind in Toronto. I had no desire to use it aboard the flight, though. But no problems going through security.

The only problem was that my luggage never did get out to Vancouver, and I had to head out in the rain to do a last minute trade of a travel bug that might have not been allowed aboard the return flight:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=118918

When I was flying EasyJet in the UK a few months back, I didn't have any trouble and they never said anything about my GPSr, it was quite fun seeing where we were and how long until we go to our waypoint...destination. <_< The South Korean airline Asiana didn't have any problems with it either.

GPSr is ok, great, so now I just have to worry about what is attached to the TB's. Where should the TB's go. Carry on or luggage. I have about 15 that are going with me all in a ziplock baggie.

TBs should be fine, as long as they can't explode or be something previously not allowed to be on a plane.

Just pack 'em in your carry-on. At least then you can explain them to a person face to face. If they search your bag and take a TB, unless it was a security threat you'd never know it was gone til you hit the hotelroom.

Just walk through, if they have questions, answer them honestly. It's that simple. You have nothing to hide. Period.

Wimseyguy - Your post about AA intrigues me a little. ...

I did not see AA's policy in their magazine, but I miss lots of stuff anyway.

From AA.com:

... During flight, never use cellphones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV cameras, or Global Positioning Systems. ...

I've never had a problem going through security with my laptop, a couple of GPSrs, two-way radios, my cel phone, PDA, mp3 player, three flashlights and tons of AA batteries (and all the associated cables) in my carry-on in the US or Europe.

I've used my GPSr on serveral flights. In general, it has to be pretty close to the window to lock on to a signal. Even then, it often can only get a 2D lock. This has been good enough to give me our general position and speed, but often the altitude is wacky.

Southwest Airlines: I asked the stewardess about using mine and she just shrugged her shoulders. I took that as a yes but of course didn't turn it on until the ok was was given to use personal electronics. ...

From www.Southwest.com:

When indicated by Flight Attendant announcements, during the cruise phase of flight these devices may be operated: DVD, CD, and tape players, personal digital assistants (PDAs or hand-held computers), electronic calculators, hand held electronic games, electronic cameras, Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receivers, and devices that compose e-mail or text messages without transmitting or receiving.

Since they publish that it's OK, I don't ask.