Oh No - Another Newbie Question

Ok all, I have been lurking on this forum for weeks to gather information on the purchase of my first GPSr. I will primarily be using it for hunting, hiking and caching.

Based on on the "which is better" threads (and the $50 rebate announced today) I have elected to go with the Garmin gpsmap 60csx.

Of course, I have a couple of questions. Even though the topo cd is 1:100K scale, I think it will be useful for hunting and hiking - so I plan on purchasing that when I order my GPSr.

1) if I wanted to load the entire state of GA, the eastern part of TN, and the western part of Colorado maps on this unit, what size memory card would I need

1a) I am still really confused on this POI/Lack of POI thing - if I mark a waypoint on the GPSr while hiking, does that mean it will not show up in the PC version of TOPO - or does it mean I can not enter waypoints on the TOPO software and have them show up on the GPSr?

2) Which brand memory card - Scandisc?

3) Amazon seems to have great prices on the units now - I assume they are an authorized dealer and I can use the rebate if purchased through them?

If there are any links to place where I can self-serve (to limit my questions) - please advise!!

Thanks so much,

Jack

You picked well! Unless you stay relatively local, I'd suggest you spend the few extra bucks and get at least a 512MB or preferrably a 1GB card. I have the 1G card loaded with CitySelect for the eastern third of the US and Canada. In addition, I have Topo for the same area (in the US), and also all the tide info for the East coast. There's plenty of memory left for POI and track storage. I'm moving soon and will be adding the Northeastern parks in 24,000:1 also.

You picked well! Unless you stay relatively local, I'd suggest you spend the few extra bucks and get at least a 512MB or preferrably a 1GB card. I have the 1G card loaded with CitySelect for the eastern third of the US and Canada. In addition, I have Topo for the same area (in the US), and also all the tide info for the East coast. There's plenty of memory left for POI and track storage. I'm moving soon and will be adding the Northeastern parks in 24,000:1 also.

Moving! To where?

1. All of Georgia, Tennessee east from the Western border of Georgia, and Colorado West of I-25 is 75.2MB. 512MB gives you LOTS of memory to spare.

1a. When you are hiking around and mark a waypoint, the GPSr will store it as a waypoint (not a point of interest). You can give it a unique name and symbol if you want to (you can sort waypoints on the GPSr by symbol). When you connect to your PC with MapSource (the software that runs all Garmin maps, including Topo), you have the option of transferring maps, routes, tracks AND Waypoints to or from your GPSr to MapSource. So you could tranfer the waypoint you marked to the PC, and save the file in Mapsource.

Alternatively, while at the PC, you can mark a waypoint (or a set of waypoints) and then transfer them to your GPSr. In the field, you can then highlight the waypoint and tell the GPSr to route you there (either following roads or off road--as the crow flies). It is pretty slick!

Custom POIs are a bit different. Some information on them here and here.

I'll leave the other items to x unit owners.

Edited by Sputnik 57