High Resolution Coin Photos (dial up warning)

glennk721

Here's my latest geocoin picture that I just completed tonight. I've got to get this coin out into a cache since it was bought with the understanding that it would travel, but I wanted to get pictures first.

Actually, CachingCoins/The Nickells sent two coins to everyone that purchased; a coin with the full tracking number to be placed in a cache, and a spare/extra/copy coin without the complete tracking number to keep. These pictures are of the extra coin. The traveling coin was lost in a tragic skydiving accident along with six of my other coins. The zipper on the pouch I carry the coins in during their inaugural skydive opened up during freefall and all seven coins were lost. The only traveling those coins got to do was 14,000 feet straight down.

3768f90b-2ad8-466e-a348-141e928d63dc.jpg

Edited by ModelCitizen

If you can get yours hands on my coins, could you do scans of them? If not, I still have available coins, if you want to trade.

Is this your coin? I did these pictures a while back before I had much experience photographing coins. I could probably do better now, but I've sent both of the SnowWolf coins I bought out to travel. I think I bought one for my daughter too (because she loves wolves) and she hasn't sent hers out. Maybe I can find hers and try again.

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

Wow.. I completely forgot about this topic.. and yeah, that's mine. Really cool images, btw. :} Did you ever get your hands on a black nickel version of mine, so take photos of it, too?

Greets all, Been forever since I have posted here, Glad to see others continually posting photos of coins for all, glad I started this thread :blink:

ModelCitizen, Given that all monitors are a bit different , We will all see a different shade or contrast tint to a given photo. I took the coin I have out to compare and here is thoughts on differant photos,

#1 Has a deeper contrast and appears to be more brilliant, but is darker then actual coin deep contrast and is rich and crisp.

#2 Is closer to the actual finish of the coin itself but is a bit flat, tough call :blink:

#3 Is also close to the true coin finish, a bit blurry on the text of the coin bottom,

Hope that helps from my monitor and old age eye's point of view. Glenn :rolleyes:

Here's my Dressel Dragons coin that is in the UK looking for dragons and castles.

I've got a big enough window that it didn't affect my screen... All the pictures are pretty, too. It's my understanding that dragons are experts at hiding, so you'll likely find more castles than anything. Nice goal, though. :}

Thanks Glenn! I really slowed down on my geocoin photography too. Just too much going on. I'm way behind on shooting my coins and getting them sent out traveling.

Hey, we did okay on the Compass Rose photo contest didn't we? Honorable mention (sort of). There were lots of spectacular compass rose photos submitted. I hope someone else sponsors a similar contest - just so I can see how creative geocachers can be.

Blue skies and happy caching!

Wow!! Looks like ModelCitizen has taken over the thread!!! OH NO!! HELP!!! LOL.... Loved looking at all the photos of the coins. I don't like the background ones with the coins.....Just the coins is great! Anyway, hope to see more of your photos Glenn!!!

TrsrHuntr

Glenn,

The pictures you took of my coins are UNBELIEVABLE!

Thank you SO much for taking the time and putting forth the effort - your camera, lighting, and talent are truly amazing!!

-Glen from Team Petey.

My pleasure Glen !

The epoxy dome was highly reflective, also did quickly before I left the house the day of your post, so was a rush photo :( Enjoy, Glenn,

Glenn,

The pictures you took of my coins are UNBELIEVABLE!

Thank you SO much for taking the time and putting forth the effort - your camera, lighting, and talent are truly amazing!!

-Glen from Team Petey.

My pleasure Glen !

The epoxy dome was highly reflective, also did quickly before I left the house the day of your post, so was a rush photo :( Enjoy, Glenn,

I would like you to do 3 coins would you be interested? I love the one with the sunset and plane!! :D

Fascinating looking at these photos.

I also love to take photos of all my coins - I post them on there pages.

It is interesting to see thet you suffer from exactly the same problems, namely-

If you take the photo straight down you catch your reflection in very shiny coins, you also produce light and dark areas on the coin instead of an even contrast.

If you take the picture off centre you can eliminate the problem of the cameras reflection (although you may create other reflections - Unfortunatley you do create two additional problems.

The coin will no longer appear round, and whislt that can be corrected, it can look odd if you can see one edge of the coin when you shouldn't (a bit like the way buildings can look "odd" on google earth when you can see thier frontages when you shouldn't be able to)

You also have to reduce the apeture of the lens in order to increase the depth-of-field, this leads to increased exposure times and more blurry photos (even with a tripod)

My method is to photo graph on a sunny but slightly overcast day with a reflector positioned on the other side of the coin to reduce the shadows. I take the pictures straight down.

I have a shield I made from a piece of card that attaches to the end of the lens that reduces the reflections in shiny coins, the photograph is taken through a small hole in the middle, it causes a small amount of vignetting but I take the pictures oversize and crop it out. The shield thing is still a work in progress, the Mk1 Version was two tone (yellow/blue) this came about because artists paint reflective surfaces by imagining them in a desert. It wasn't entirely successfuy so I'm conducting experiments to decide whether white or some other colour would be better.

Anyway, here's a couple of example of my work.

77d5df32-5c54-4393-8bc1-01121792dbf1.jpg

eab6b3fc-27e3-48cb-9be2-fe744225b665.jpg

875e17f9-6d9e-4688-9b5c-a7d33b7ab4e4.jpg

I have loads more, but I have only posted pics of coins I own, so I extend the same offer,If I have it in my collection, you are welcome to a piccie!

Great pictures, Kifcog!

I too have tried making something to put over the lens to shoot through to eliminate the dark reflections from the camera when shooting shiny coins straight down, but never got anything to work very well so I just shoot at an angle. I use the smallest angle I can and hold a piece of card stock just above the lens to block the reflection of the camera body. Thanks for the pictures and the shooting tips.

you do realise this is a very cruel thread for some people who hasnt got these coins :D ive just spent 5 minutes reading and looking at the eye candy with my grubby little mits out stretched saying i want i want. :ph34r:

its a nice thread to look at and see what i didnt know had been minted. :)