High Resolution Coin Photos (dial up warning)

glennk721

Above :P #34 Wonder if its available !! I'm always seeking coins with 34 on them :grin:

This was the last post of page 1 of this thread, and did not want it to get lost at the bottom of a thread as its indeed one of the most unique photo's I have taken of a coin. :)

-crake-'s design, This is from a production sample of his "Suncatcher" Warm, With back lighting to show the translucent area of the coin, Enjoy Glenn

suncatcherwatermark.jpg

Edited by glennk721

Awesome work. As one who tries to get good photos as well, I can appreciate your work and what you have gone through to get such great photos. I have just emailed about a photo of my admin brick.

Thanks Mtn-Man , Hope all here are enjoying my photos. :P I better post this I don't want any Admin Bricks thrown at me :blink::blink: I do have one of your coins from a wondefull trade from Go-Jaybee (If my memory searves me correctly) old age kicking in, Was actually from when I first started this hobby and addiction :) Here are some photo's , Enjoy Glenn :unsure:

MTNMAN2small.jpg

MTNMAN1small.jpg

EDIT remove watermark GK

Edited by glennk721

Outstanding. I emailed that you could leave the watermark off, but you can leave it as is since you have posted. Many many thanks. The gold coin will be on the way for our trade.

Sorry, I posted before I read your mail , removed watermark,,. Look forward to our trade, Thanks again and enjoy the photos. Cheers, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Nice pics, but one little snivel - your camera is lookign straight down on the shiny coins, and as a result, the shiny areas appear dark / reflect the camera.

You might try some side lighting, white reflector, and some slightly off-angle camera positioning to get rid of that effect and bring up the shiny bits a bit more.

Nice pics, but one little snivel - your camera is lookign straight down on the shiny coins, and as a result, the shiny areas appear dark / reflect the camera.

You might try some side lighting, white reflector, and some slightly off-angle camera positioning to get rid of that effect and bring up the shiny bits a bit more.

Thanks for your input, Indeed the coins with the mirror finish prove to be difficult. When I take these images at points my camera may be as close as 1/2 in to 1 inch away from these coins. If I angle the camera from that distance the coin becomes out of round and or egg shapped, I will indeed play with aux lighting to help with this given problem, Thanks to you Mr Squid, :D PS I have a photo of your Crome LE to post soon, that is if your don't mind, Glenn

A few weeks back, I talked with a photographer at the Royal Canadian Mint and asked how to photograph shiny coins so they don't appear black/dark or reflect the camera.

(searching sounds)

Yes, here is the post:

http://geocoins.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=249

With careful setup, you can get nearly perfectly round images that don't appear dark. Obviously, from my sample pictures, I'm not that good at it yet, but the pictures do show the technique.

Edited by geoSquid

For me, the best lighting is outside on a cloudy day. You get very even lighting all the way across your picture with no funny tint to it. I haven't been able to get any indoor lighting to work as well. I try to shoot as close to straight above the coin as possible, but for shiny coins you have to angle it a little to keep from getting the camera's dark reflection in the picture. I'll hold a white piece of card stock against the camera to minimize refections. I also try to shoot at a small aperature to keep the focus sharp across the whole image, especially if the shot is angled. After getting the shot, I post process to get everyting right. One of the things I do is rotate the image to get the coin straight. It's really hard to line it up perfectly straight through the little viewfinder on the camera.

Glenn, the exif data on your pictures says you are shooting with a Pentax Optio E10. Your camera is impressive! Great pics!

Here's one of mine. After shooting this I noticed that the dragon has a little piece of dirt or something in his teeth. That's one of the hazards of shooting outdoors. I'm going to have to get back out there on the next cloudy day and try again.

MC1.jpg

And some more...

MC2.jpg

MC3.jpg

MC4.jpg

MC5.jpg

MC6.jpg

0284fc14-94bd-4985-9305-114116da0eca.jpg

Sorry for the short hijack. Carry on!

Edited by ModelCitizen

Thanks for your photo's and experiance to share yes as of now I'm down to my Pentax , My Primary camera (Nikon) took a tumble :laughing: and is in for repair, so I'm chugging along the best I can with my secondary camera, Glenn

Do you use an SLR or Digital SLR Nikon?

When I took a photography class in college, I bought a Nikon N55 which I love. I ended up buying a Sony Digital SLR last October. I should see what I can do with mine.

Tasia I have the D80 with the optional 18-135MM lens . :laughing:

Greets all since my primary camera was out of my hands for a while I have not posted this thread. Camera is now back in hand, so will be posting a coin a day or so, I have many coins to follow up with.

This coin is Cog & Gil's Arizonia Coin, Cog & Gil if you read this please shoot me a email , so I may send you untouched photos, This is just a view of the front of their coin.

Enjoy, Glenn

coggillwatermark.jpg

Edited by glennk721

Greets all, , Had the privlage to photograph the Antique Silver Civil War Series , You can see the generic front on page 1 of this thread, Following up with the generic front of the Gold XLE . Thought I would share this photo was a bit of a challenge being its mirror finish.

Its use for collector lists/sites is fine, as usual auction sites are off limits, Thanks Glenn :D

goldfrontcube.JPG

Edited by glennk721

THX terrible2u, Think its my favorite as well,,

Greets all, If there was one coin photo to post today. This would be the one, No one shall forget, Glenn

911.jpg

EDIT::

I posted this coin with no watermark, just seemed the right thing to do out of respect, Please no use of it for auction sites , THX Glenn :(

Edited by glennk721

Greets all, If there was one coin photo to post today. This would be the one, No one shall forget, Glenn

I posted this coin with no watermark, just seemed the right thing to do out of respect, Please no use of it for auction sites , THX Glenn :(

That is a cool coin! Where did you get that?

I posted this coin with no watermark, just seemed the right thing to do out of respect, Please no use of it for auction sites , THX Glenn :laughing:

That is a cool coin! Where did you get that?

It's the September Issue from the Geoswag Coin & Pin Club. :laughing:

I am curious about what you use as a background it looks like blue vinyl or leather-like material it is pretty. My dad is kinda an amatuer photographer (does weddings and stuff) and I guess I could try and get him to teach me how to take pics like this. He has a Canon Rebel2 digital. Oh and do you use a photo editing program or do you leave them as is?

Greets all. I have not posted photos in awhile I will indeed get back to it .. Joefrog, There be no Frogs here, wish I did have one of your personals. :huh: Still trying hard to trade for one, from some gracious soul perhaps some day :P

cqdx, I think I have a Prime Meridian, But this thread was dedicated primarly tward personal coins. I did astray with the Suncatcher as it was such a eye catcher. Also with the 9/11 coin because of what it represents.

Soon to post more photos for all to enjoy, Glenn :(

Oh yes Team Macha, Its pleather :huh::(

Greetings to all. It has been awhile since I have posted this thread , or much in general as family life has been keeping me busy and holidays now upon us , all time consuming. Thanks to MC, for posting some photos here. I am back behind the camera as time allows, and catching up on photos to be taken,

I am posting photos again starting with a very special coin that was gifted to me by the master of all Geocoins himself -crake- From his private collection. Tracking Time done in Antique Silver. This was a limited minting of 25 Geocoins and I am honored to have been blessed with this one. Enjoy Glenn :D

silvertime.jpg

Can we use these photos on our coin details page?

Thanks, Eagle-2

Yes indeed they may be used for collectors list, and or your coin detail page of your coins that are in inventory, my only objection is that they are not used for auction and or profit sake, Enjoy, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

If you can get yours hands on my coins, could you do scans of them? If not, I still have available coins, if you want to trade.

Is this your coin? I did these pictures a while back before I had much experience photographing coins. I could probably do better now, but I've sent both of the SnowWolf coins I bought out to travel. I think I bought one for my daughter too (because she loves wolves) and she hasn't sent hers out. Maybe I can find hers and try again.

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

ce70059e-7b44-4982-abdd-e6344f757911.jpg

0b062eb4-6a9a-4139-afe4-b483f3d1aef9.jpg

If you can get yours hands on my coins, could you do scans of them? If not, I still have available coins, if you want to trade.

Is this your coin? I did these pictures a while back before I had much experience photographing coins. I could probably do better now, but I've sent both of the SnowWolf coins I bought out to travel. I think I bought one for my daughter too (because she loves wolves) and she hasn't sent hers out. Maybe I can find hers and try again.

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

After seeing those pics, I want one! I've always been concerned with writing on coins. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks for doing this!

Cheers,

nooks

Edited by nooks