National != U.S.

I just wanted to remind everyone that "national" only means the United States if you live there. I've seen too many categories submitted with this word used incorrectly, and it can be quite off-putting if you live elsewhere. We need to remember that this is a global directory with waymarkers from far and wide.

Sure, most of you are USians and that is reflected in categories such as Pony Express Monuments and Lincoln Highway Markers, but don't assume everyone viewing your category will recognize that fact.

On a purely personal note, I hope to see more unique categories submitted beyond the "marker" theme. Don't get me wrong. I love those cats because they've spawned a lot of interest in the site. But they do cause problems in that they're often so similar they overlap. I'd just like to see some more imagination in coming up with new and varied ideas. I know it's there!

-N

I just wanted to remind everyone that "national" only means the United States if you live there. I've seen too many categories submitted with this word used incorrectly, and it can be quite off-putting if you live elsewhere. We need to remember that this is a global directory with waymarkers from far and wide.

-N

Couldn't agree with you more!!

"National" is the worse offender, but many other categories are written with such iso-nationalist viewpoint that they virtually exclude other world areas. Often solving this is just a matter of thinking what it might look like to someone living in another part of the world, and then trying to use inclusive language to make it clear that waymarks from all areas are welcome.

G'day

Have to agree. Just voted no on a category for these vary reasons. The language etc was very "American" yet the category tilte seemed to suggest international. Just highlighted the need to have some dialogure in the forums in my view to help iron out this things.

Regards

Andrew

Hmm - I did just notice that the currency variable only has one currency option. There are still a few parts of the world that don't use $'s :huh:

Touché! We're going to remove the numeric restriction and just allow you to enter "20 Quatloos" *in the next version.

Edited to add *

Edited by OpinioNate