Cache Police

B) I was up looking up some Geocache placements by "TEAM DESERT EAGLE" He Has or Had some very interesting hides. There is one that I wanted to look up and WOW you should see what I found!!! Out of 78 geocache placements 51 are disabled for mostly one reason, a Crazy Person ouy there.

I'll give you some backgroung about as I see it: TEAM DESERT EAGLE. He is a single Father trying to raise two children, His wife died several years ago. I have met them on a geo hunt and had a nice talk with Him, as the kids were jumping at the bit to go caching. TEAM DESERT EAGLE has his GPS hooked up with his telephone and is notifyed when a new cache is posted. Therefore they have a lot of "First To Finds". So what, that just gives me something to shoot for. Let's beat the Eagle I say to my Wife, it can be done. I have NO problem with His FTF's because they are FAIR! I have noticed that they don't usually take the FTF gift, they just sign the log as FTF and go on there way........Check out their stats and look at their "Traditional" caches placed.

Now we have this NUT out here from Georgia that calls Himself "Cache Police" and has sent TEAM DESERT EAGLE this email:

From: "yourworst enemy" <cachepolice@hotmail.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: teamdeserteagle@sbcglobal.net

Subject: get a grip on geocaching

Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 01:52:44 -0400

I have just moved here from Georgia and figured out that you are the

one to beat when it comes to being the FTF on geocaches. Well guess

what.....your time will come to an end shortly. We had this same problem with a

geocacher down here and I know how to solve the problem. Since I noticed that

you also have a lot of geocaches that you have hidden, here is the

proposition....you can have "3" FTF in a single week. If you get more

than that, I will remove one of your hides for every FTF after "3" (per

week). Sorry to make this a problem for you, but your obcession is hurting the

game for all newcomers involved. The more newcomers involved, the more

caches to find. I think that you have enough FTF's, so why not let some others

have a chance?? It is much more exciting for someone who has never had a FTF,

than for you to get your.....what 1500th?? or more..... Don't you

think? If you think you are all high and mignty, think again. I have over

4000 finds. And since I am in a new area, you will still be second best to

me. Yes, I have all the gadgits that you do, but being FTF is not a

priority to me. I love to see a virgin get one. It is more exciting to me than

being FTF myself. You think you what to report me? Good. I will continue

to monitor you under a different name. So good luck....I'll be watching.

Also, let your friends know. They may be on the chopping block next.

This has resulted in TEAM DESERT EAGLE loosing many of His hidden caches and spoiling the fun for MANY GEOCACHERS! I for one do offer anything to help TEAM DESERT EAGLE replace and or fix these caches, It's just NOT RIGHT what this NUT has stated and done. This should be illegal in some way? Maybe a geocaching attorney out there can help? We need to give TEAM DESERT EAGLE our support and try to stop this so called "Cache Police" person's practices. I see that His status is "Banned" but what is to stop Him from joining under a diffrent name? Please email TEAM DESERT EAGLE with your support.

What do you think? :lol:

Edited by Mickey and Goofy

I personally think this is outrageous and his attitude absolutely stinks.

I don't know who he thinks he is and why he should decide on who does what but I think he needs to be careful who he bumps into when he is out caching.

Hopefully if he is such a keen cacher he will be reading this as I am sure there will be plenty of people posting what they think of him.

Happy reading cachepolice be prepared to have your massive ego completely destroyed.

D_Skids

I think every area has at least one FTF junkie. We have one down here in Arizona area who travels all over the biggest city in the state grabbing the FTFs. After the first 50 or 100 FTFs, I don't think its the thrill of the first to find the cache as must as the prizes the cache has in it. I see many FTFs with valuable prizes in them to reward the FTFer and this is what I think they chase.

Myself, I have never landed a FTF. I just don't go after them. If I ever do find one, it will be a an accident.

Perhaps Jeremy can block the guy's IP so it is more difficult for him to access the site.

As BrianSnat said in a link to the 2 month old thread, this exact situation has already been discussed. And as Mopar said in that thread 2 months ago, the guy's IP address will be in the full headers of the threatening emails sent (if you know where to look). The IP address would be rather useful, assuming the guy has DSL or Cable.

Having his IP address doesn't really mean anything. You might block his home IP address but then what if he is logging on from work, the library, hotspots, or other people's unsecured wireless routers? I have a computer at home but I'd say more than half the time I'm on-line from someplace else. If I created a sock-puppet GC account it'd be easy enough to make sure and never use it from home.

On the other hand if you *can* find out his real world identity he could possibly be charged with terroristic threatening (kinda reaching there.) or theft (more likely, but you'd probably still need proof.)

On the other hand if you *can* find out his real world identity he could possibly be charged with terroristic threatening (kinda reaching there.) or theft (more likely, but you'd probably still need proof.)

That's what I was getting at - that and finding out his identity so that we can all make his life miserable.

I'm thinking this has become a geocaching urban legend.

This was discussed on the Georgia Geocacher's Forum and we came to the conclusion that there wasn't even a Georgia cacher who had more than 4000 finds, as this guy is claiming.

No, but there is a cacher from a state adjacent to GA with 4,000 finds who has apparently move to Wisconson in the past few months. Perhaps the person was smart enough to mention a different state to cover his tracks. I'm not saying that this is the person. In fact odds are he isn't.

It could also be one of those people who don't log online.

Edited by briansnat

So let me see if I have this straight, 'Team Desert Eagle' have over 2900 finds, 264 FTF's and have hidden over 100 caches ....... oh, and he gives away geocoins. This is definately someone that needs to be 'controlled' by another cacher. :D

His FTF rate is less than 10%, how is that excessive?!?!

Cache Police believes he is enhancing geocaching for others make taking caches away? All I can say is I'm glad that guy is no longer in Georgia.

I'm thinking this has become a geocaching urban legend.

This was discussed on the Georgia Geocacher's Forum and we came to the conclusion that there wasn't even a Georgia cacher who had more than 4000 finds, as this guy is claiming.

They most likely are from Ohio, which is much closer:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=134776

And probably have much less than 4000 finds.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Does this self-titled Cache Police loser realize where Team Desert Eagle probably got their name from?

desert_homepix.jpg

I live right near TDE, and he has placed a cache across the street from his house (and stated that it was across the street in the cache page), and I don't think that's the reason. He has lots of pictures of eagles on his windows and garage, and many American flags as well.

Most of the caches I have found were placed by TDE. He is a great cacher, and I have lots of respect for him. I don't mind the fact that I don't have a chance at getting an FTF because of him :blink: because I know that he is happy at the fact that he got it. I think geocaching is all about having fun. Cachepolice is ruining the game by doing this. If he wants to take away people's chances at FTF's, then he should be banned. He is a poor sport and needs to get a better attitude. What would happen if everyone had that attitude? Pro football players would quit if they lost their first game, then go torch the winning team's houses. The loser of the presidential election would try and assassinate the winner. Maybe that's a stretch, but you get the point. He should not be playing the game of geocaching if he does not like competition.

The wife and I have been cachin' for about a year with around 70 finds. Still no FTF. A while back a local cacher was hiding a series of caches, and we were getting up each morning at 6am each morning, looking for the new caches to be listed. Despite several early morning dashes in our pajamas, we were 2nd or 3rd every time. Was it frustrating? Yeah. Was it a blast? Heck yeah!! Missing the FTF just made us more determine to stick wth it till we get one... It was probably more fun and memorable getting skunked each time.

Even IF a cacher was in the wrong by dominating the FTF's in a local area, Cache Police is in the wrong 100% in his response. He's only made things worse.

Having the IP address is a big help. I run a much smaller forum and when I ban a user I check all the IP address he has ever posted from. Then I list them all in the banded IP address list. I have never had one come back as a sock puppet. It just makes it too inconvenient for them.

Having the IP address is a big help. I run a much smaller forum and when I ban a user I check all the IP address he has ever posted from. Then I list them all in the banded IP address list. I have never had one come back as a sock puppet. It just makes it too inconvenient for them.

Yes, but unfortunately the inconvenience is usually short term if they have a dynamic IP and/or proxy server thru a provider like AOL. In five minutes, they can have a new IP and create a sock puppet if they wish. It allows ISPs to cache (using the tech form of the term) and variously assign IP addresses as needed and allows users anonymity. This can be a positive, but in the case of cache police/pirates like the one described in this thread, it certainly isn't.

The IP I use is shared by thousands of my coworkers. If you ban me by IP, you also ban all of them. It's the same with (dial-up) ISP's, they have a bank of IPs that are assigned as users connect. You rarely (if ever) get the same IP twice in a row. The IP you ban will belong to someone else soon enough. Is it right to ban someone that has never logged on here just because they use the same ISP as a cache maggot?

After the first 50 or 100 FTFs, I don't think its the thrill of the first to find the cache as must as the prizes the cache has in it. I see many FTFs with valuable prizes in them to reward the FTFer and this is what I think they chase.

As a newcomer to caching (11 finds so far), this FTF thing baffles me. What if the local Fish and Game started stocking trout in a lake that had never had trout, and all of the sudden 100 fisherman descended on the area to be the first to pull one out...

If people really are doing it to be the first ones to get good loot from the cache, then that means they're taking good loot without leaving something of equal quality or better behind.

The obvious solution is not to send out immediate notifications when a new cache has been placed. :unsure:

The IP I use is shared by thousands of my coworkers. If you ban me by IP, you also ban all of them. It's the same with (dial-up) ISP's, they have a bank of IPs that are assigned as users connect. You rarely (if ever) get the same IP twice in a row. The IP you ban will belong to someone else soon enough. Is it right to ban someone that has never logged on here just because they use the same ISP as a cache maggot?

GPSax is correct, almost as often as briansnat :unsure:.

People too often think of an IP address as a permanent address. That just isn't the case anymore--it's temporary and shared for millions of users that use an ISP. Because the IP addresses are often dynamically assigned triggering varied and random numbers from a huge list (of thousands), tracking them all just creates a game of hide-and-seek with the seeker always a step behind.

Edited by Teach2Learn

Yes, banning the IP would be a good idea. Even if he gets around it, it is at least a temporary solution. I doubt that he can get around it, this guy isn't very smart.

Unfortunately, the cache abuser doesn't have to be intelligent to get a new IP address. As noted above, it will likely change when he turns off his computer at night and restarts it the next day, causing him little or no inconvenience, just the caches/cachers he harms. :unsure:

After the first 50 or 100 FTFs, I don't think its the thrill of the first to find the cache as must as the prizes the cache has in it. I see many FTFs with valuable prizes in them to reward the FTFer and this is what I think they chase.

As a newcomer to caching (11 finds so far), this FTF thing baffles me. What if the local Fish and Game started stocking trout in a lake that had never had trout, and all of the sudden 100 fisherman descended on the area to be the first to pull one out...

If people really are doing it to be the first ones to get good loot from the cache, then that means they're taking good loot without leaving something of equal quality or better behind.

The obvious solution is not to send out immediate notifications when a new cache has been placed. :unsure:

Well golly, I guess I need to start caching where you folks live. In my area, people rarely leave anything special for an FTF prize. The competition is stiff for FTF here anyway. We have one guy who goes for FTF a lot--He has a tendency to leave something behind for the second to find, usually a largish bison container.

If I put something in for the FTF, it's usually a button that says "First to Find" (made by Bumblebuttons) or a small laminated business card sized "FTF certificate" that I made on my computer.

The usual thinking on FTF prizes is that the person does get to take the item without having to trade anything at all. That's what makes it a prize instead of a trade item ~ It's a gift to the person who has test driven the cache for the cache owner.

Well golly, I guess I need to start caching where you folks live. In my area, people rarely leave anything special for an FTF prize. The competition is stiff for FTF here anyway. We have one guy who goes for FTF a lot--He has a tendency to leave something behind for the second to find, usually a largish bison container.

If I put something in for the FTF, it's usually a button that says "First to Find" (made by Bumblebuttons) or a small laminated business card sized "FTF certificate" that I made on my computer.

The usual thinking on FTF prizes is that the person does get to take the item without having to trade anything at all. That's what makes it a prize instead of a trade item ~ It's a gift to the person who has test driven the cache for the cache owner.

Team Neos, come a few miles south to the true "sunny side" of the Ohio River. You must have missed Lumberjack Tom's recent "Song of the Sing" cache. I got a $15 Famous Dave's voucher/gift card for being 3TF! FTF got a $25 card, 2TF nabbed a $20 card, and there were several $6 card vouchers for later finders. We're all meeting next weekend for a 'que feast. L/j Tom is retired and not connected to the resaturant in any way other than being a lover of their menu.

I usually include an FTF certificate and an FTF prize worth anywhere from $10 to $30 in my caches in addition to swag. I've used restaurant gift cards/certificates, authentic/certified ancient Greek and Roman coins (for my Olympian series caches), and new DVDs. Like Team Neos stated, I don't think most owners expect any trade for FTF prizes. As often discussed, most realize that the trade-even policy for later (non-prize) finders won't consistently work, though they may take care of that via maintenance by tossing undesired items and replenishing.

Cache pirates/police are sometimes (not always, of course) deterred by...

--higher-level difficulty caches like "Song of the Sing" or similar series.

--multi-caches that will take over an hour.

--members-only caches.

Of course, a dedicated abuser may stop at nothing, but most seem to like impacting a larger number of easier caches to get attention.

(edited to add link)

Edited by Teach2Learn

Aren't you supposed to be working? :rolleyes: In that case or the case of AOL contact abuse@aol.com or the corporate IT department. These problems are not hard to deal with if you take the time to do the research and then follow through.

What ever happened to plain ol' fun and a challenge? I deal with laws and regulations daily, caching is my time to relax, get exercise, spend time with the kids... FTF??? I've been caching not even 2 years, had to stop for work and other causes. I don't get the FTF chance. To me, it ain't a thang! I guess, for some, caching is a place for people to get "power" in their meager lives that they can't get other ways.

To Cache police- Lighten up Francis!

To Team Desert Eagle- You keep on being you.

Life's too short for this. :rolleyes:

We first heard about the 'Cache Police' problem shortly after it started. We were looking up local spots and came across a cache that had been disabled because of that twit. TDE had posted a link to the now infamous letter and boy did that open up our eyes. We got into this game by accidentally coming across a stage in a multi and we got hooked. Once we realized there was a sizeable group of fun lovin' people playing too and that there were many levels to the game, it just amped up our interest level. Seeing that note though, it really made us reconsider for a moment whether or not we wanted to stay involved. We stayed, we play, and if we can beat TDE to a FTF WAHOOOO! This guy is good. Seriously. And he gives back. Lots of caches and they aren't simple park-n-grabs or micros (look up 'A numbers Game). By the by... been thinking 'bout this for awhile... Hey TDE, can you remove the comment the above mentioned twit left on 'Elmwood Park'? Bugs the hell outta me every time I think about it. :rolleyes: Thanks

Aren't you supposed to be working? :rolleyes: In that case or the case of AOL contact abuse@aol.com or the corporate IT department. These problems are not hard to deal with if you take the time to do the research and then follow through.

Contacting the abuse or related corporate IT makes a lot more sense than trying to follow somebody's IP address trail. It's amazing how that's quickly become old tech thinking with the dynamic IP addresses at work or at home. Then again...remember Commodore-64, Windows 3.11, Dialog searches, and the first crop of Pentiums. What will happen in ten more years, more cache/online pirates or more secure tech? I'm betting the battle will still be raging. Sigh...

Contacting the abuse or related corporate IT makes a lot more sense than trying to follow somebody's IP address trail. It's amazing how that's quickly become old tech thinking with the dynamic IP addresses at work or at home. Then again...remember Commodore-64, Windows 3.11, Dialog searches, and the first crop of Pentiums. What will happen in ten more years, more cache/online pirates or more secure tech? I'm betting the battle will still be raging. Sigh...

I kind of see not tracking down IPs as old school. 10 years ago everyone had dialup and a dynamic IP. Now that is less common with millions of folks with cable broadband. Yes that is considered dynamic but I know most don't change for long periods of time. I bet over 50% of the IPs I check come back to cable broadband and another 20% DSL. With the right tools I have been able to track down an IP to the room number at a college. I am an engineer at a IT consulting firm but my specialty is security so I have lots of opportunity to track down IP address.

I had a Commodore -64 too with an acoustic 300 baud modem. ;) My first Internet access was through the UofM gopher server. Thought when all you are sending is text 300 baud was not that bad.

Hi! Newbie and lurker here. I wasn't a member 2 months ago so I missed the first round and want to get my two cents in now. If Cachepolice is reading these posts, I'd like to say to him that I have two young children who LOVE caching with me. It has become a fun family activity we can all do together, outdoors! Your removal of caches based on your arbitrary idea of what's fair or not fair only hurts everyone else. If we went out caching and couldn't find several because you had removed them, my girls would be so disappointed. Your only motive appears to be revenge. Unfortunately, your campaign is misguided and selfish!

Just another thought - or maybe a question....

Is he just physically removing caches, or also disabling them on the site? If so, how is that possible? Having never placed a cache myself, I would assume that only the person who placed it could disable it. Doesn't the system have safeguards in place for that?

GPSax is correct, almost as often as briansnat ;).

People too often think of an IP address as a permanent address. That just isn't the case anymore--it's temporary and shared for millions of users that use an ISP. Because the IP addresses are often dynamically assigned triggering varied and random numbers from a huge list (of thousands), tracking them all just creates a game of hide-and-seek with the seeker always a step behind.

I'd say exactly the opposite, with Cable and DSL becoming more widespread, as some apparent sysadmins have mentioned in this thread. How many subscribers has "dynamic dial-up IP address" AOL lost over the last few years? 10 million or so? ;) Another observation, why have a few people assumed this cache maggot is telling the truth that he has 4,000 finds, and speculating on the identity?

I'd say exactly the opposite, with Cable and DSL becoming more widespread, as some apparent sysadmins have mentioned in this thread. How many subscribers has "dynamic dial-up IP address" AOL lost over the last few years? 10 million or so? ;) Another observation, why have a few people assumed this cache maggot is telling the truth that he has 4,000 finds, and speculating on the identity?

Yes, you're right, I can see your point along with Team Torque's reply. I guess I just didn't want people to assume IP addresses are permanent. When I've checked mine, it seems to change daily and doesn't repeat. Yes, that was often due to dynamic assignment via AOL dial-up, but I"ve discovered the same personal trend in my case with broadband. Wikipedia keeps telling me I've edited articles inappropriately and that my IP has been banned. However, the IP it identifies as the abuser/my computer changes each time and I've never edited a Wikepedia article.

However, I certainly wouldn't say an IP can't or shouldn't be used to trace, just that it's often more time consuming than it might appear. Of course, I'm not as quick in tracking them all as some IT people, so maybe they find it efficient.

You're right about the "old tech" phrasing--it's probably a poor term when I consider the numerous ways the Internet has expanded. Sorry...still looking for one day when I'm not wrong about something, but today wasn't it. Maybe tomorrow... ;)

Yes, you're right, I can see your point along with Team Torque's reply. I guess I just didn't want people to assume IP addresses are permanent. When I've checked mine, it seems to change daily and doesn't repeat. Yes, that was often due to dynamic assignment via AOL dial-up, but I"ve discovered the same personal trend in my case with broadband. Wikipedia keeps telling me I've edited articles inappropriately and that my IP has been banned. However, the IP it identifies as the abuser/my computer changes each time and I've never edited a Wikepedia article.

However, I certainly wouldn't say an IP can't or shouldn't be used to trace, just that it's often more time consuming than it might appear. Of course, I'm not as quick in tracking them all as some IT people, so maybe they find it efficient.

You're right about the "old tech" phrasing--it's probably a poor term when I consider the numerous ways the Internet has expanded. Sorry...still looking for one day when I'm not wrong about something, but today wasn't it. Maybe tomorrow... ;)

Well, AOL might have lost customers over the "dynamic dial-up address" but still 75% of their customers are using dial-up. Like teach2learn, I experience the same dynamic assignment messages when using my broadband.

As to the cache police/maggot and truth in numbers, I seriously doubt he has 4000 finds. He may have a handful of finds, but my guess is that most of those are the ones he stole. He is obviously not well educated, and probably young. You have to be awfully immature to be so selfish, and no one with any common sense would think that stealing caches would make geocachers in the community happy.

Oh, it can certainly be done, even with a dynamic IP address. The ISP that assigned that address knows who it was assigned to at any given time. The trick is getting them to divulge that information.

If the problem ever gets bad enough that it becomes worth getting law enforcement involved, "cachepolice" can be found inside a day.

AR_kayaker

Oh, it can certainly be done, even with a dynamic IP address. The ISP that assigned that address knows who it was assigned to at any given time. The trick is getting them to divulge that information.

If the problem ever gets bad enough that it becomes worth getting law enforcement involved, "cachepolice" can be found inside a day.

AR_kayaker

If breaking the law, they should divulge the IP. though there may be a very long list if dynamic, so a specific time/date would help. Perhaps the Cache Police (bad name for such an abuser) is already at that legal/illegal borderline and certainly breaking TOA concerning e-mail.

If not breaking the law, the ISPs could be placing themselves in dangerous lawsuit territory if they divulge IP addresses.

Edited by Teach2Learn

I haven't even thought about going after a FTF in my area much less searched to see who my competition is. Not to say that in the future I might not get to that point. I think it would be a fun part of the hunt and maybe down the road I might.

Is it possible for someone to dominate all the first to finds in any certain area? Yes! That becomes an issue of common sense. Just because I'm the fastest kid to the broken pinata every time it's broken doesn't mean I won't step back and watch someone else get it. There's a certain happiness in that too. Sorry about the crappy analogy...I couldn't think of anything else. lol

Some people are really, REALLY competitive. Is it really about Cahing at that point?

After your First FTF it's really no longer your first. It's then your 2nd..or 3rd...ect You get the point. I think for a lot it becomes a friendly , playful game between a few people in each area. Trying to beat the other to be first and then rubbing it in the others face over breakfast. I can see where that aspect of it would be fun.

Hiding at times I can see might be problamatic. In 5-10 years just how far will you have to go to hide a good cache? I hear complaints about micros ect... How many reg caches can a park handle? I would love to hide a cache in my area however I'm somewhat intimidated by the many already here. Does that mean that a few have hidden a lot?! Or is it more that I'm creatively challenged? I know it's the last one <_< Perhaps meeting some geocaching locals would open my eyes and retrain my way of thinking and give me some ideas. I've had two ammo cans since I started :blink:

To CachePolice...

You're as harmful to this sport as anyone or anything else. Your self chosen policing isn't warranted nor wanted. Might I suggest that instead of taking caches away from others.. Might you instead set yourself a challenge to place a cache with a goal in mind that instead of a FTF you have First Five to FInd. Allowing more to find it and still have that happy feeling of being the top five. I really think there could be a few different ways of dealing with this then how you are. At this point you're poison and ruining it for those in that area. Is that really the results you were after?

Hiding another cache in that area and taking turns hiding in the bushes until you show up to take it wouldn't take much effort. Or one of those huntuing devices that takes pictures of the game walking by hidden somewhere and aimed at the cache. Just something to think about.

Bottom line is this. This isn't tit for tat. It's GEOCACHING lighten up and remember what you got into it for in the first place. Have fun with it. Be creative. Hide one that's so cool we'll be talking about it for years to come. I think your time spent in something like that would be time well spent. JMHO

For the rest of you having to read this. I apologize in advance for the crummy spelling and poor grammer

Warbones

Edited by Warbones