Send Green Jeep To Europe Please

Saman

[This part now deleted to stop ambiguity]

Geocaching is a global game after all and we all want to play the game ;) To keep a TB stateside is actually against the spirit of moving TB's globally, but who am I to argue against the rules of a massive vehicle company who hold all the strings?

I don't understand why the contest is reserved state-side only. We have Jeep showrooms over here, and yes, you can buy the Jeep in the contest over here too :):o

Edited by Alice Band

I'm sad to see anti-European sentiment from some American cachers. Geocaching is a global game after all and we all want to play the game ;) To keep a TB stateside is actually against the spirit of moving TB's globally, but who am I to argue against the rules of a massive vehicle company who hold all the strings?

I don't understand why the contest is reserved state-side only. We have Jeep showrooms over here, and yes, you can buy the Jeep in the contest over here too :):o

anti-European sentiment? A bit over the top don't you think?

It's a US based contest not a political statement.

Edited by BlueDeuce

:o I was gonna, then I kinda, and it said. Ok here it is flat out from one newbie to all you nonnewbies.

I don't see what the big deal is. There's like 6000 GJTBs, I sent in for one at the last minute and still got one, so people who really wanted to recieve probably got one. What would the problem be if a few GJs were sent overseas? Not a lot, I for one just like the travelbug because of where it has been, not the icon. The jeeps are also fun to roll around while I type on the CPU. I have already come across a GJ in a cache after I released mine so I didn't sign anything legal about this Jeep. Just the one I got in the mail. See my reasoning? What am I missing? Maybe someone would just like to hold a GJTB, not care about the contest, or the icon. And just want the chance to see one. I don't see the harm in sending one before the contest is over. There would still be 5000 some jeeps.

:o I was gonna, then I kinda, and it said. Ok here it is flat out from one newbie to all you nonnewbies.

I don't see what the big deal is. There's like 6000 GJTBs, I sent in for one at the last minute and still got one, so people who really wanted to recieve probably got one. What would the problem be if a few GJs were sent overseas? Not a lot, I for one just like the travelbug because of where it has been, not the icon. The jeeps are also fun to roll around while I type on the CPU. I have already come across a GJ in a cache after I released mine so I didn't sign anything legal about this Jeep. Just the one I got in the mail. See my reasoning? What am I missing? Maybe someone would just like to hold a GJTB, not care about the contest, or the icon. And just want the chance to see one. I don't see the harm in sending one before the contest is over. There would still be 5000 some jeeps.

There are plenty of Jeeps already heading over seas to many countries. The 'problem' is that there is a contest happening right now that, yes, is only available to a people in a certain geographical area.

You missed the point of my post - why are people so angry when a few cachers asked a simple question?

OK, so no-one outside the designated states can take part, fine, so why the angry responses? :o

However, if you create a desirable need for something its not surprising when others would like to grab such a thing too, regardless of the rules or where they are in the world. If these Jeeps were not in a time-limited contest there would be no clamouring for them. So please dont be surprised when others desire the icon. Its bound to happen with this and all future contests.

*Steps down to prepare for flaming*

Eh, there are not enough green Jeeps overseas otherwise we would not ask for them over and over again in this tread.

The strange thing I have noticed is, even if you do not want to participate in the picture contest, you still have to obey the contest rules. The contest rules overrule the general travel bug rules (see previous replies).

Besides what I have learned from Eartha, the reason why it is not possible to have green Jeep travel bugs in Europe is because it is not allowed to send the Jeeps by mail. That's a new rule.

Or isn't it?

Zilvervloot.

You missed the point of my post - why are people so angry when a few cachers asked a simple question?

OK, so no-one outside the designated states can take part, fine, so why the angry responses? :o

However, if you create a desirable need for something its not surprising when others would like to grab such a thing too, regardless of the rules or where they are in the world. If these Jeeps were not in a time-limited contest there would be no clamouring for them. So please dont be surprised when others desire the icon. Its bound to happen with this and all future contests.

*Steps down to prepare for flaming*

Oh, I understand the requests. Personally I would like to see this be the last year for jeeps. It just leads to bad feelings on both sides. Or better yet have a project where jeeps are released in other locations even if the cachers can't particapate in the contest. (Maybe even just make it so you can buy a jeep with the icon).

[Oh, I understand the requests. Personally I would like to see this be the last year for jeeps. It just leads to bad feelings on both sides. Or better yet have a project where jeeps are released in other locations even if the cachers can't particapate in the contest. (Maybe even just make it so you can buy a jeep with the icon).

You are so right, why should we fuss over a toy+aluminium label and some pixels. Even if I hope to earn the icon in a proper way by finding a green Jeep in a cache, I do would not shed a tear if next year will be a Jeepless year. It is dividing us, and that is not the idea of geocaching.

But I am sure, when there will be a contest next year, with the same strange unexpected rules, I will protest again.

Zilvervloot.

I admit -- I haven't read this whole thread. However, I DO have a green Jeep in hand at the moment.

Here's it's mission:

"Current GOAL: Log your visit, and move me to a new geocache!"

That's it. No boundries, no countries, just move it to a new cache.

The fact that there is a contest for the lower 48 states and the fact that they were only distributed in the lower 48 states does not change the fact that they were entered into a global activity. Jeeps to Europe (and elsewhere) is a perfectly legitimate thing (as long as it is "to a new geocache")

The one I have is in the evil country of ...... Canada! -- yipes! In fact, it has been seen in the company of "Feeps" -- I hope it isn't corrupted.

BTW -- Lower 48 folks... IF you DO move Jeeps to non-lower-48 locations -- you actually INCREASE your odds of whinning.....er, winning

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

When I said you can't mail a travel bug, I said you can't mail a travel bug without asking for permission first from the owner. Since Jeep emails go to Groundspeak.com, you can just assume that the request on the Jeep TB pages to put it in a cache are what Jeep wants you to do.

This has nothing to do with anti-European sentiment (Sheesh! If you knew my own personal geneaology, you would laugh for even saying that.) It has to do with the fact that Jeep is holding this contest in the lower 48 states.

I already posted why contests are held this way and it has to do with the legal logistics of holding a worldwide contest. It's too expensive, there are too many different laws for every country, and you would need about a thousand lawyers to write it up. Jeep also probably doesn't want to ship a free Jeep overseas. It's got nothing to do with sentiment. I said this last year, if you want a contest in Europe, call a European Auto Manufacturer, show them this contest and tell them you want one too. Then you can mail all your contest TB's over here and see how people there feel about it.

And to those of you who say there are 6000 jeeps, I believe that number is 5500, and there are 304705 active caches in 222 countries. How many cachers there are is hard to say but in the last 7 days, there have been 217581 new logs written by 34967 account holders. Considering most jeeps get grabbed and never let go of, this greatly reduces the number of jeeps available to enter the contest and by shipping them overseas, it's brings that number down even farther.

I'm with Blue Deuce about next year. I don't care for the angst this contest is causing amongst the geocaching community.

So, play fair, log the Jeep, take your photos, release the Jeep. If you want one to keep, go buy one.

When I said you can't mail a travel bug, I said you can't mail a travel bug without asking for permission first from the owner. Since Jeep emails go to Groundspeak.com, you can just assume that the request on the Jeep TB pages to put it in a cache are what Jeep wants you to do.

This has nothing to do with anti-European sentiment (Sheesh! If you knew my own personal geneaology, you would laugh for even saying that.) It has to do with the fact that Jeep is holding this contest in the lower 48 states.

I already posted why contests are held this way and it has to do with the legal logistics of holding a worldwide contest. It's too expensive, there are too many different laws for every country, and you would need about a thousand lawyers to write it up. Jeep also probably doesn't want to ship a free Jeep overseas. It's got nothing to do with sentiment. I said this last year, if you want a contest in Europe, call a European Auto Manufacturer, show them this contest and tell them you want one too. Then you can mail all your contest TB's over here and see how people there feel about it.

And to those of you who say there are 6000 jeeps, I believe that number is 5500, and there are 304705 active caches in 222 countries. How many cachers there are is hard to say but in the last 7 days, there have been 217581 new logs written by 34967 account holders. Considering most jeeps get grabbed and never let go of, this greatly reduces the number of jeeps available to enter the contest and by shipping them overseas, it's brings that number down even farther.

I'm with Blue Deuce about next year. I don't care for the angst this contest is causing amongst the geocaching community.

So, play fair, log the Jeep, take your photos, release the Jeep. If you want one to keep, go buy one.

Green Jeeps??? I FINALLY last week found a white one!! :o

also probably doesn't want to ship a free Jeep overseas
They are already here. Our local Jeep showroom currently has one on display carefully parked on some rockery at a 45 degree angle :laughing:

Then you can mail all your contest TB's over here and see how people there feel about it.
Unlike you I wouldn't mind, as its all part of the TB global game. You win some and you lose some.

I don't care for the angst this contest is causing amongst the geocaching community
You must do otherwise you wouldn't be replying on here :laughing:

Oh well, I have edited my first post as I obviously didn't phrase my thoughts with care, and for that I apologise. But I still dont get the anger from a selection of people on here :laughing:

also probably doesn't want to ship a free Jeep overseas
They are already here. Our local Jeep showroom currently has one on display carefully parked on some rockery at a 45 degree angle :laughing:

I think they are sold almost every country in Europe. You can buy Commander, Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee from Finland also. I think it's best for Jeep if this contest would be global.

So what, I do not care what Jeep wants. The extra rules do not apply me, just as it does not apply to anyone outside the 48 states. And it does not bother me.

In contrast to Eartha’s personals opinion, I think:

bug owner requests do not overrule the general travel bug rules.

Lets give an example, If the a bug owner wants “his” bug on a picture with a redheaded photographic model, I am still allowed to move the bug from cache to cache, even if I am not a redheaded model. Tough luck for the “owner”

An other example: Bug in a travel bug race heading for a designated cache. Whenever I find such a bug, I take it with me and depending on my travels; I put it in a cache with the best chances for the bug. If this cache is further away from the designated cache: "Tough luck for the owner"

Last example: Green Jeep, when I find it in a cache or at an event, I am allowed to take it, log it and put it in an other cache. Maybe this next cache will be visited by someone who wants to participate in the picture-contest, if not, tough luck for the “owner”.

If I can not fulfil the wishes of a bug owner, I still am allowed to take the travel bug from a cache and move it along. The rules set up by a travel bug owner do never supersede the general travel bug rules.

I said this last year, if you want a contest in Europe, call a European Auto Manufacturer, show them this contest and tell them you want one too.

That is not the point. I hope you have lots of fun in a picture contest; I do not envy you for having a contest. It is nice of the Jeep company to organize it so, please enjoy it!

What is the point: I think it is completely wrong to exclude geocachers from the general travel bug game. It is wrong to reserve some travel bugs only for a special group or in a special area. To use a big word: discrimination. And pardon me, whenever I notice it, I become alert and can not shut up my big mouth.

Then you can mail all your contest TB's over here and see how people there feel about it.

That’s the game of travel bugs, to quote Alice Band: “You win some and you lose some.” Tough luck for the “owner” The travel bug game is a global game.

I don't care for the angst this contest is causing amongst the geocaching community.

Perhaps you should, I received some rather disturbing emails. The anti-European feelings are sadly real.

Then again, perhaps I should just shut up and don’t worry over a toy+label and some pixels.

Zilvervloot.

Anti-European feeling? This has nothing to do with discrimination. Get over it already! This is simply about asking those who are outside the contest area to wait 4 frickin' months until the contest is over.

I'm sorry you are excluded from the contest. There are thousands of contests I'm excluded from for one reason or another. The difference is that this one has to do with geocaching which is recognized as a global activity and community. So I'm sorry you're excluded, but lobbying for your own contests is about all you can do about that, short of sponsoring one yourself. In the meantime, the jeeps will get there in time (those that aren't already over there, that is.) Just wait!

4 Months.

And geesh people, don't send nasty emails. There is no call for that. If you can't say what you have to say on this thread, then don't say it all. Be an adult and own what you have to say.

Edited by Bear Paughs

Um....if a Travel Bug (Green Jeep) *escapes* out of the US -- do we mail it back to Groundspeak? :P

Seriously, I think folks should just move the darn things - end of story. The mission is clearly stated to move from cache to cache. What cache and how is not described or stated -- so cache to cache. US to Europe to Asia to Australia to cache to cache to cache to cache......

The contest is nice and we should be grateful to Jeep for having it in the first place. If they can't or choose not to include the entire planet -- who cares. I am sure they didn't come up with this contest as a way to slap Canadians, Alaskians, Hawaians, and assorted others in the face. If we moan enough maybe all contests and corporate sponsorship will stop -- it's easier to say "no" than "yes" if the voice of complaint is loud enough.

Besides -- anyone that REALLY must enter a contest -- go find a "Feep"! :) That's my response to the contest. (I'm not giving away a Jeep though.... just some stickers, coins, and assorted items.

Oh yeah ... the icon. Maybe Groundspeak should just sell the icons for $1 each. -- this way I could finally log an APE cache! :)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Travel bugs are meant to travel - cache to cache. Period. Sure some will get to Europe, but they'll do it the old fashioned way. By following the natural flow from cache to cache until someone who doesn't know what a Jeep TB is carries it overseas. I am not putting my personal opinion in this. This is a volunteer position as Travel Bug Forum Moderator. I wrote those "How to Log a TB" guidelines that are pinned up top, along with Groundspeak, and I think I know them. Rules for Travel Bugs are written by their owners when they design the Travel Bug page. Jeep said move them cache to cache. Not to send Jeeps to Europe in the mail, even after the contest is over. They should go cache to cacher to cache and so on. How hard is it to understand? This is just splitting hairs. It's a contest. The Jeeps are playing pieces. And as far as logging them goes, what's the hurry? Can't you wait until the contest is over.

Why does this feel like deja vu? Doesn't anyone understand what caching is supposed to be all about? Hiding and seeking. The thrill of the hunt. "Oh, wow! I found my mailbox!" is not as exciting as "Oh Wow! I made it all these miles, and found the cache and saw some beautiful scenery, and I feel fulfilled, and stronger and healthier for it!"

Too many people are of the "I want it, and I want it now" mindset. Slow down, take it easy, go outside, bring the family. It's just a toy. It's just a few pixels. After you've logged it, because it was mailed to you, the thrill is gone, but if you went out and actually found it yourself the memory of that could last forever. Say no to mailing TB's (unless the owner requests it or gives permission)! And I say this with all due respect: Take a hike.

If you are getting nasty emails, report them to contact@Groundspeak.com

Just wait!

4 Months.

At last the Jeep picture contest is over!!!!!!

Could anyone send a green jeep TB to Amsterdam, The Netherlands? I will place it into a cache as soon as it will arrive to allow also non-US geocachers to share it.

Please contact me via email and I will send you my address. Thank you

Zilvervloot.

Just wait!

4 Months.

At last the Jeep picture contest is over!!!!!!

Could anyone send a green jeep TB to Amsterdam, The Netherlands? I will place it into a cache as soon as it will arrive to allow also non-US geocachers to share it.

Please contact me via email and I will send you my address. Thank you

Zilvervloot.

Sorry, I can't. I got one from Jeep when the contest started. I placed it into a cache. It was immediately picked up and moved to another cache. It was again immediately picked up and has never moved again. :unsure:

"Fox Mountain (CO)" Green Jeep Travel Bug

If anyone has extra green Jeep and want's to send that to Finland please contact me. There has been only one green Jeep in Finland and my friend wasn't too quick to find that before it was already in other country. I'd like to make my friend happy and get another one here (maybe directly to his address). I can also send some travellers to you as well. Thanks :)

I am travelling over to Ukraine in about 2 months, I would love to bring some kind of TB over to a fellow cacher to pick up from me... Maybe Ill just buy one somewhere and since I am an employee at a Chrysler/Jeep Dealer, maybe I will just attach a green 4 door Jeep to it :-P

anyone wanna pick one up from Odessa the end of june?

To all the overseas (non-continental USA) posters, calm down! I've been Geocaching since the year of the WJTB, I still have *NOT* found a single one of them, nor the YJTB, nor even the GJTB. I live roughly in the middle of the area the contest was going on, and I have still found NO jeeps, ever. I was within about 2 hours of spotting one last year, but somebody beat me to it. Yes, I completely agree with you that it would infact be really incredibly cool to find one even now that the contest is over.

If there were 5,500 jeeps released for this year, and 48 states are eligible, that's about 114 per state (assuming each state got equal). Pretending that all jeeps were actually released, and none of the jeeps got stolen through the entire contest run, the chances of finding one still suck! If the jeeps can be held for about two weeks without anyone getting upset, and photo contests were a month in duration, each jeep would only have gotten about TWO chances per month to give someone a chance for a photo-op...

But this is the real world, people just don't seem to follow rules. They get muggled, they get taken by users and never logged, they get taken by users and only carried to events where they are taken out for others to view just long enough to make a 'discovered' log, and they get randomly mailed. I hate to say it, but those of you wanting jeeps mailed to you will probably end up seeing one long before I find one in a cache.

If you really MUST have a Jeep, why not make your very own 'FEEP'? If your area is really that low on Travel Bugs, why not start some of your own? Why not start a campaign against Diamler-Christler to get them to include your country in the Jeeping this year?

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

In light of this entire thread, can there be a few additions to the GC.com / Groundspeak part of Jeep Contest verbage? Make it painfully obvious what has been established so that next year there won't be quite as much angst?