Send Green Jeep To Europe Please

Saman

If they do the same distribution system next year, they should blacklist Dosido and any others who violated the terms of the letter agreement they signed.

Ahh...go on vacation and miss out on all of the fun.

Had the 'rules' said that I couldn't send my GJTB overseas, I wouldn't have. However, I agreed to the following when I requested my Jeep:

(From the form I signed)

Please print your physical mailing address below, including name.

Note: This will become a shipping label.

Must be age 18 and over and have a valid driver’s license.

Jeep 4x4 Request Form

I agree to place this 2006 Jeep Travel Bug into a cache within 2 weeks of its receipt.

I understand that by submitting this form I am not guaranteed to receive a Jeep

Travel Bug, nor will I be able to check on the status of this request.

Jeep 4x4 request forms must be returned by mail to Groundspeak.

One request per household. U.S. residents only, excludes Alaska and Hawaii.Groundspeak, Inc.

This does not say 'and you also agree to be a participant in the contest, and must abide by those rules as well.' The contest rules say:

(From the official rules) If a participant finds a Travel Bug and that participant relocates the Travel Bug, (any such location must be in 48 contiguous U.S./DC), as a courtesy to fellow participants, the participant is asked to record the cache listing of the Travel Bug’s new location and then access www.geocaching.com and log the new geocache location of the relocated Travel Bug by following the instructions on www.geocaching.com/track.

I don't want to be a jerk, but the fact of the matter is I requested a bug because I think they're fun - not because I was going to use it to participate in the contest, and since the contest rules were not part of the items that I agreed to, I was free to send it overseas to let others see the jeeps.

Frankly, the cacher that I sent it to was very gracious and sent several overseas TBs and geocoins to me in the US to move along - very cool, in my opinion.

You can 'blacklist' me if you'd like, but I don't believe that I violated any rules that I agreed to - next year they should be much more explicit if they want to avoid these issues.

It's my opinion that the few jeeps that go overseas for other's enjoyment will be FAR outnumbered by those that simply 'disappear' into the hands of sticky fingered cachers, and THAT is illegal and much more likely to affect the outcome of the contest.

Edit: to clarify - my objection to your complaint is that I did not read, was not aware, and did not agree to the contest rules prior to my sending the Jeep overseas. Had these 'rules' been on the form we signed to request the Jeeps, likely these issues could have been avoided.

Brian

Edited by Dosido

I don't want to be a jerk, but the fact of the matter is I requested a bug because I think they're fun - not because I was going to use it to participate in the contest, and since the contest rules were not part of the items that I agreed to, I was free to send it overseas to let others see the jeeps.Brian

No, you were not free, but obligated to place it into a cache within two weeks -- not free to mail it to an address overseas or otherwise. You did not do what you agreed to.

Whether you choose to participate in the contest or not, does not make it right for you or anyone else to remove the playing piece from the playing area. Period. After the contest period, fine. Before then, it was simply wrong to do. I don't care how grateful someone was, or how it is your opinion that distributing beyond the contest boundaries during its run for more to see is a good thing. That is not the intention of the owner of the bugs. As I've repeatedly said, after the contest period I would gladly do so myself. This isn't about excluding anyone. This is about making sure the people who are eligible and want to play and want to do so with the jeep are able to. Have some patience and some decency.

Edited by Bear Paughs

Whether you choose to participate in the contest or not, does not make it right for you or anyone else to remove the playing piece from the playing area. Period. After the contest period, fine. Before then, it was simply wrong to do. I don't care how grateful someone was, or how it is your opinion that distributing beyond the contest boundaries during its run for more to see is a good thing. That is not the intention of the owner of the bugs. As I've repeatedly said, after the contest period I would gladly do so myself. This isn't about excluding anyone. This is about making sure the people who are eligible and want to play and want to do so with the jeep are able to. Have some patience and some decency.

I edited my post before I saw your reply, so I'll restate:

I agreed to the rules on the form - I was not aware of, nor read the 'additional rules' of the contest, as I had no desire to enter the contest - I simply saw the link to the form in the forums and completed it. To assume that everyone that requests the jeeps read through additional rules verbiage on another webpage having nothing to do with requesting a jeep is a big jump, in my opinion.

Had the rules been on the form, or even included in the Jeep shipment, then I wouldn't have sent the Jeep - simple as that. However, the only reason I knew of the 'additional rules' was 'cause a local cacher sent them to me.

Brian

DOSIDO

The form you signed clearly states:

Jeep 4x4 Request Form

I agree to place this 2006 Jeep Travel Bug into a cache within 2 weeks of its receipt.

MAILING the Jeep is in fact a violation of this signed form. The mail is NOT A CACHE, PERIOD. THere are many many other threads regardingthe mailing of TB's it is not an acceptable practice. Placing them physically onto caches is what is accepted

Furthermore:

Eartha had this to say in a previous thread

"Travel Bugs are not trade items, and you shouldn't be bartering with people for something they do not own."

Eartha also posted this :

" TBs are not trade items. They aren't, even if they're not Jeeps, they aren't trade items. And the Jeep TBs are owned by Jeep, so trading one for something of value like a coin is wrong."

Furthermore These rules are taken from the TB Rules Pinned at the top of this forum

Notes about logging TB's:

You can take a TB from cache to cache and log it in and out on the way. Keep your logs straight, take notes.

You can revisit a cache as often as you like to help a TB on the way.

You cannot attach anything to a TB without getting the owner's permission first, this includes a ziplock baggie and a laminated card or sheet.

You cannot mail a TB without asking the owner first.

You can take a TB from your own cache.

A TB is not a trade item, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a TB, and you should not take something from a cache in trade for a TB. You should take something from a cache, place the TB and a trade item.

Mileage not updating? Click the recalculate button on the TB page if you are the owner.

Problems with the system? Send an email to contact@Groundspeak.com with the problem in the subject line, and a detailed explanation, and a link to the TB page in the text.

DID YOU NOT REALIZE THAT NO TB"S CAN BE MAILED WITHOUT THE OWNERS PERMISSION AND THE FORM CLEARLY STATES PLACE INTO A CACHE WHICH YOU SIGNED. THE JEEPS ARE OWNED BY JEEP and THEY CLEARLY SAID PLACEINTO A CACHE.

Edited by chstress53

I received the GJTB from Dosido as a challenge for US personal living in The Netherlands, to give them the oppurtunity to participate into the Jeep contest. Beside this Dutch cachers will sure hunt for the Jeep also. Dosido could not place the TB into a Dutch cache, so we did it within the 2 weeks period. The trade we made was not concerning the GJTB. Dosido shipped a new TB of its own and a geopin and we send him some TB's/coins to give these a chance to travel in the US. The GJTB was not part of a trade :laughing:

I got a PM regarding this issue - basically repeating what chstress53 posted, so I'll post the reply here:

I appreciate the note. And I understand that there are some strong feelings on this issue. However, I still don't - and won't - believe that I violated any of the terms that I signed.

The reason the form states that it must be placed in a cache is so that the TB can get out there and get moving. Period. And that was done. Now, I *do* agree that in light of the 'contest' and the additional rules that I've been made aware of - that it shouldn't have been sent overseas.

You quote Eartha several times - this is again nonsense to quote someone's post as gospel - a very small minority of cachers read the forums, and even fewer have seen Eartha's posts. If you want certain rules followed, make sure they are posted on the form - or at least a link to the pages with rules - both TB and Jeep contest rules.

I've found and moved a fair amount of TBs, and I've found a fair amount of caches. I have never heard that mailing a TB is against the rules.

Consider me enlightened. As I've said before, had the rules to the contest simply been included in the form I signed, or with the Jeep, the GJTB would still be in the States.

Please remember that most cachers consider geocaching a hobby and/or a game - and not some deep contractually and legally binding headache that they've enetered into for life. I did what I did 'cause it was fun for another cacher - and a group that couldn't get a GJTB. Had I realized that my small action would have such devastating consequences for a whole group of rabid GJTB lovers, I wouldn't have bothered.

Brian

Furthermore These rules are taken from the TB Rules Pinned at the top of this forum

Notes about logging TB's:

You cannot mail a TB without asking the owner first.

DID YOU NOT REALIZE THAT NO TB"S CAN BE MAILED WITHOUT THE OWNERS PERMISSION AND THE FORM CLEARLY STATES PLACE INTO A CACHE WHICH YOU SIGNED. THE JEEPS ARE OWNED BY JEEP and THEY CLEARLY SAID PLACEINTO A CACHE.

As I said earlier - no - I didn't realize that TBs couldn't be mailed.

Now, I've gone back and read through the Travel Bug section of the website - the FAQs etc. - please show me where the geocacher that didn't happen to read through every post on the forums would have any idea that mailing the TB is 'against the rules'.

You missed my point - the point is that to have certain rules posted on the website - www.geocaching.com - where everyone does their logging/searching etc. is one thing - to have other 'additional rules' in the forums is another.

Many cachers don't read the forums, and shouldn't be expected to do so to figure out the proper or accepted methods of playing this game. Point me to a section in the TB area of the geocaching website that states that mailing TBs is unacceptable.

I understand that the forum is a place to debate the merits of the game and additional rules, etc., but if you want people to play by these rules, then make it part of the gc.com website as well - the 'rule' you state is not in the FAQ, nor on the TB pages, thus unknown to many if not most cachers.

Edited by Dosido

I think Dosido should be banned from entering the Jeep contest. :D

Geocaching needs more rules. I own several travel bugs that have gone missing or have been moved in the opposite direction that I specified. We need to do something about this! They're not making the discoveries I specify, and don't have the freedom to pursue the adventures I've chosen.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Dosido,

You knew perfectly well the Green Jeep TBs were for a contest, you had the opportunity to read the rules of the contest. Ignorance of those rules is no excuse, you knew there was a contest. What's done is done, we can't unring the bell (unless they send it back to you!), just please don't do it again.

Can we all just play fair now? No more Green Jeeps mailed overseas until the contest is over.

You knew perfectly well the Green Jeep TBs were for a contest, you had the opportunity to read the rules of the contest.

I agree completely with that. However, since I did not expect that there were restrictions on movement, and wasn't entering the contest, I had no reason to read through the rules - I assumed - incorrectly - that the GJTBs were like all other bugs. Thus, if it were spelled out a little better in the future, this brouhaha could likely be avoided. Simply add a note on the form stating that the TB movements, etc. are restricted per the contest rules and add a link to the page.

The beef people should have is with it going overseas, so let's leave it at that. For people to toss all kinds of other rules/regulations of dubius merit at me and hope something sticks is silly. The TB was put in action within 2 weeks. To claim that I can't mail it, etc. is baloney. If mailing is bad, eliminate stargate caches, and place that information on the travelbug FAQ/info page.

If we're splitting hairs, as some want to do, could my neighbor put it in a cache within 2 weeks if I were unable? Could someone grab it from me and place it? Not according to some posts here - after all I agreed to place it in a cache.

What's done is done, we can't unring the bell (unless they send it back to you!), just please don't do it again. Can we all just play fair now? No more Green Jeeps mailed overseas until the contest is over.

I've already agreed to that. :D

Cachers should revisit the goal of a TB and only pick up the TB if they will help it achieve the goal. If you don't want to help the TB then leave it sit. If you are a TB numbers hog then discover it and move on.

I love logs against my TB's that fit the goal and I think some cachers like to help a TB out. It is fair that you grab a TB without knowing the goal but once you grab it and see the goal you can easily drop it in a cache near by instead of totally going against the goal.

Dear Eartha,

I hope you will not be offended by this reply. But now I really want to know. Since I have so much fun participating in the travel bug game, I am now, and I guess some cachers with me, a bit concerned.

It seems there are some new rules applicable for travel bugs. What new rules did I miss? Who set them? When were they established? As an owner /as a mover of some travel bugs, why have I not been notified?

It seems never mailing a travel bug is a new rule, are there more new rules?

Could you please, to clarify how important these new rules are, tell us your position within geocaching.com? From your profile you are a (group of) moderator(s) and you do al lot of geocoin things. What I mean is, are you like Jeremy geocaching.com and are the new rules therefore geocaching.com’s policy? If so, I will never send a travel bug by mail anymore.

Please bear in mind, the reason why I ask this question is that my only intention is to let as many a possible geocachers enjoy the travel bug game. This by letting travel bugs travel as much (and hopefully as far) possible. Restrictions in this, are to my opinion only obstructing the intention of a travel bug. But I can be wrong. Please explain it to me.

Zilvervloot.

It seems never mailing a travel bug is a new rule, are there more new rules?

You should only mail a travel bug with the owner's permission, which you won't get from Jeep. Travel bugs owned by cachers, you should always contact the owner to determine what the owner's wishes are. Some may not mind having them mailed, but others would. Mailing a TB is quite different from taking a TB on your trip somewhere and placing it in a cache.

And as far as I know, this is not anything new.

\Please bear in mind, the reason why I ask this question is that my only intention is to let as many a possible geocachers enjoy the travel bug game. This by letting travel bugs travel as much (and hopefully as far) possible. Restrictions in this, are to my opinion only obstructing the intention of a travel bug. But I can be wrong. Please explain it to me.

The intention of the travel bug is not universal, it is determined by the owner. Some travel bugs have the goal of traveling as much and far as possible, others do not. Some are restricted by their owner to only traveling in one area for example.

In the case of the Green Jeeps, owned by Jeep, they are intended to be used for promotional purposes (namely as playing pieces in a contest for those eligible who choose to participate) during a specific period of time (through the end of the year) and are meant only to be dropped in caches in the contiguous 48 US states. This has been explicitly stated by the owner of these travel bugs. For all other travel bugs, read the TB page for its goals, and when in doubt, contact the owner.

Edited by Bear Paughs

You should only mail a travel bug with the owner's permission, which you won't get from Jeep. Travel bugs owned by cachers, you should always contact the owner to determine what the owner's wishes are. Some may not mind having them mailed, but others would. Mailing a TB is quite different from taking a TB on your trip somewhere and placing it in a cache.

Again, you state forum postings as gospel. These 'rules' are not posted on the Travel Bug pages. Just because a few forum posters created/agreed to/made up these guidelines does not, in fact, make them rules or requirements. Should we get permission to mail them? Perhaps. Do we need to? I don't know. When one of my bugs has been 'grabbed' I've never really thought about whether someone mailed one of my TBs or they simply passed them along at an event to a cacher from another state.

You also state as fact that one won't get permission from Jeep to mail a travel bug. Why do you say that? Did you inquire as to whether you can mail them?

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/rules.aspx

If a participant finds a Travel Bug visit jeep.geocaching.com and enter the unique tracking number found on the metal tag attached to the Travel Bug and will be taken to that Travel Bug’s unique web page. The participant will click on the "Submit Contest Photo" and follow the on-line directions to submit a photo entry. Once the participant has submitted an entry they will be notified that their submission is under review for appropriateness. If a participant finds a Travel Bug and that participant relocates the Travel Bug, (any such location must be in 48 contiguous U.S./DC), as a courtesy to fellow participants, the participant is asked to record the cache listing of the Travel Bug’s new location and then access www.geocaching.com and log the new geocache location of the relocated Travel Bug by following the instructions on www.geocaching.com/track.

And yes someone has attempted to email jeep (I'm still looking for the thread)

Of course we all know that some people have very little or no intention of following these rules. Do I care? No, not really.

Again, you state forum postings as gospel. These 'rules' are not posted on the Travel Bug pages. Just because a few forum posters created/agreed to/made up these guidelines does not, in fact, make them rules or requirements. Should we get permission to mail them? Perhaps. Do we need to? I don't know. When one of my bugs has been 'grabbed' I've never really thought about whether someone mailed one of my TBs or they simply passed them along at an event to a cacher from another state.

You also state as fact that one won't get permission from Jeep to mail a travel bug. Why do you say that? Did you inquire as to whether you can mail them?

No, I am not going by forum postings, but by the definition of a travelbug. From the FAQ:

What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

A travelbug is an item that is placed in a cache by the owner to start its journey, then retrieved from the cache by someone else to be placed in another cache... and so on, until its goal is achieved. Sometimes it passes from the hands of one cacher directly to another. No where is applying postage and sending through the mail a part of the process. If there is a deviation from that, it should only occur with the TB owner's permission. If it's not explicitly given on the TB page or mission tags, then you simply don't do it, or you obtain the owner's permission via private communications before you do. It's really that simple.

As far as my comments about not getting the permission from Jeep, there have been individuals who have tried to contact jeep and get permission for different activities in the past, and have never received permission (or an answer other than to contact Groundspeak.) In theory you could get their permission I suppose. Here's an idea -- why don't you try to get that permission before mailing it next time? Let us know how that goes.

A travelbug is an item that is placed in a cache by the owner to start its journey, then retrieved from the cache by someone else to be placed in another cache... and so on, until its goal is achieved. Sometimes it passes from the hands of one cacher directly to another. No where is applying postage and sending through the mail a part of the process. If there is a deviation from that, it should only occur with the TB owner's permission. If it's not explicitly given on the TB page or mission tags, then you simply don't do it, or you obtain the owner's permission via private communications before you do. It's really that simple.

Come on. Do you actually believe that EVERYTHING must be permitted by being listed on that page? If so, can I take it in a car? Bus? Nope. It doesn't say I can take it home, either. The page makes no mention of how the TB gets from one cache to the another cache. Apparently, swapping TBs with another geocacher at a car would be a violation of the TBs movements as well - as that's not mentioned either.

The GJTB went from cache to cache, period. I've seen TBs that request that their TB doesn't fly on a plane. That's cool with me. And I won't take a bug and drop it in Canada if it wants to stay in the US. That's cool too. But someone stating I can't mail a bug, and claiming that that action is somehow going against moving it from cache to cache doesn't wash with me.

As far as my comments about not getting the permission from Jeep, there have been individuals who have tried to contact jeep and get permission for different activities in the past, and have never received permission (or an answer other than to contact Groundspeak.) In theory you could get their permission I suppose. Here's an idea -- why don't you try to get that permission before mailing it next time? Let us know how that goes.

You might not like the answer. But even if I had an email that said it was permissible, I'd probably get flogged some more, since I already sent it, and the permission would be after the fact.

Again, I'm willing to take the abuse for sending the GJTB overseas, but will not take the abuse for 'violating' made up rules for moving the TB.

Edited by Dosido

Llamas love to travel. You could put a TB tag on a llama. I am not sure whether you can mail them, though.

Mailing? Maybe not. But there are other methods described here. Actually fairly humorous reading.

One problem though - you can't transport them to Canada. :o

I hope this doesn't start a whole new trend of llamacaching posts, avatars, threads :D

On topic, so's Eartha don't slap me silly:

I think the Jeep contest rules are pretty clear on their face.

I think the form we all signed about placing the Jeep in a cache is clear on its face.

But hey, I'm just a lawyer, what do I know of words?

For other bugs, the bug owner's wishes prevail as to mailing, etc. This is by custom, not rule.

You can e-mail the Jeep 4x4 2006 account all you want. You *do* understand that this mail goes to Groundspeak, correct?

I'd have no problem if you had an email from Jeep.

Made up rule? Mailing is exluded from the definition of how a travel bug should move and is not allowed by that exclusion, unless of course, the owner says it's okay with them. Travel bugs are meant to travel through geocaching. This could be by movements between caches, or it could be a personal exchange, handed off at an event, on the trail, or in the parking lot when bumping into another cacher. These are all natural geocaching movements. By mailing it you are handing it over to a third party that has nothing to do with the activity. I'd be less critical if the jeep in question was taken by you to a cache overseas and placed in it by you, to be retrieved by someone else (although it still wouldn't be the right thing to do until after the contest is over, I'd be less critical nonetheless.)

Recently there was a cache or two that was taken from its hiding spot and taken to a mega-event recently so that the attendees could log it. In at least one case this was done without getting permission from the owner. No where in the rules does it say that you can't do that either.

Recently there was a cache or two that was taken from its hiding spot and taken to a mega-event recently so that the attendees could log it. In at least one case this was done without getting permission from the owner. No where in the rules does it say that you can't do that either.

Does so. The "Cache Permanence" guideline squarely addresses moving a cache to a new, temporary location. Can't do it.

Apart from that, nice post. :D

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/rules.aspx

If a participant finds a Travel Bug visit jeep.geocaching.com and enter the unique tracking number found on the metal tag attached to the Travel Bug and will be taken to that Travel Bug’s unique web page. The participant will click on the "Submit Contest Photo" and follow the on-line directions to submit a photo entry. Once the participant has submitted an entry they will be notified that their submission is under review for appropriateness. If a participant finds a Travel Bug and that participant relocates the Travel Bug, (any such location must be in 48 contiguous U.S./DC), as a courtesy to fellow participants, the participant is asked to record the cache listing of the Travel Bug’s new location and then access www.geocaching.com and log the new geocache location of the relocated Travel Bug by following the instructions on www.geocaching.com/track.

And yes someone has attempted to email jeep (I'm still looking for the thread)

Of course we all know that some people have very little or no intention of following these rules. Do I care? No, not really.

So to summarize:

Contest Participant:

-must be a resident of lower 48 United States

-posts a photo

-must relocate the GJTB to a cache in lower 48 United States

-is asked to log GJTB drop

GJTB mail recipient:

-required to place GJTB in a cache within two weeks

By mailing it you are handing it over to a third party that has nothing to do with the activity. I'd be less critical if the jeep in question was taken by you to a cache overseas and placed in it by you, to be retrieved by someone else (although it still wouldn't be the right thing to do until after the contest is over, I'd be less critical nonetheless.)

Can you qualify your objections to mailing a bug? Is it that it might go missing? Other than that I don't see the issue - it's still handing off a TB between cachers. True story: I once gave my parents (non cachers) a TB to take to Tampa so my brother could place it - as Tampa was it's goal. Is that okay?

I personally always carry TBs in my carry-on bag, but what if someone leaves a TB in their luggage on an airplane?

In addition to the Leprechaun's cache permanance note - not moving a cache is spelled out for seekers as well on the FAQ page:

Can I move a cache once I find it?

Unless there's a note in the cache containing instructions on moving it to a new location, don't move the cache!

This contest is supposed to be FUN. I will wager that if there was not a prize attached most of you could care less.

Let us consider the following equation: GJTB = FUN not GJTB = ANGST

For your continued viewing pleasure I provide you a llama and a duck.

78c8e8df-65ce-42ad-b3b1-f1c8a6b73513.jpg

But I thought we had to get rid of the duck :D

Edited by Mandollyn

I'm confused...

...are the people clamoring for a special icon and the chance to "hold the Green one in our hands" (yes, actual quote) actually adults? :D The TBs aren't magic. They won't grant you three wishes if you rub them.

It's a contest going on in the US. Sending the TB anywhere else is like throwing away a pack of raffle tickets. Hold onto your panties until the contest ends, then repost your desires to fondle the little jeep. :o

I'm confused...

...are the people clamoring for a special icon and the chance to "hold the Green one in our hands"

Hey watch it. :) No one's going to hold this green on in their hands, unless her name happens to be Mrs. Webfoot. :)

Ahhh... so that's what they were talking about.

OK, guys, be positive, an english speaking cacher was hunting for the TB today :)

GJTB: The Hunt

============

Since the day that the GJTB came to NL, I had it on my watchlist, just waiting

for some spare time and today I had a couple of hours to go hunting for the

GJTB. Yesterday I spent some time trying to make an educated guess at the most

likely caches where the GJTB could be. As it turned out Marienwaerdt was one of

these caches that was high up on my list and I decided to have a go at it.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go and do the 18 kilometers but I

really wanted to try and find the Jeep.

So I had a good look at the description and realised that it might be possible

to 'crack' the code. Between some maths with the numbers, OZI explorer, TOPO NL

and some guesswork I managed to pinpoint two possible locations for the final

cache. This afternoon I grabbed my stuff, got into the car and drove to

Marienwaerdt. I parked the car in a X, which was close to two of the

possible points that I worked out where the cache could be. I grabbed my stuff

and headed off to the most likely one at N XX XX.XXX E 00X XX.XXX. I couldn't

find anything at this point, so I decided to test my calculations and double

check the last couple of points.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cut the text partly, because of too many details of the waypoints

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasted about two hours in which I could have done a big part of the proper

track... Well, that is what you get for 'cheating'! ;-) From the spot that I was

searching I took a small quiet footpath leading south-east. Nice and quiet, some

cows, some trees... Hey wait! These trees look a lot like the ones on the

photograph... Hmmmm could it be??? Nope, not this tree, nope, not this one, not

this one. Yes, yes, yes! I found the cache! No GJTB but I was still glad to have

found the cache!

-cut-

To complete the story: we dropped the TB into an unknown cache into a certain area!

Edited by Team Firefox

just a small note - when I started this thread, I did not know the rules of the green jeep game (that they had to stay in US during the game), I am yet back at this forum and watching what I started. So my opinion is to keep the rules and wait until the game in US will be over. But do not forget to send some green jeeps to Europe when the game will be over :anitongue:

Edited by Saman Team

just a small note - when I started this thread, I did not know the rules of the green jeep game (that they had to stay in US during the game), I am yet back at this forum and watching what I started. So my opinion is to keep the rules and wait until the game in US will be over. But do not forget to send some green jeeps to Europe when the game will be over :anitongue:

Right same here! Before I asked for a GJTB in this thread I checked the GJTB pages and all available information of the contest on the internet. These information did not tell ME anything about a drop within the 48 US lower states. Probably this was enclosed into the package send to US cachers. This must have been a miscommunication between Jeep/Groundspeak and the geocaching community. I hope they will learn for the 2007 Jeep contest and make these points more clear to us :tired:

On the other hand: where are we talking about? About just one TB on a total of 5500. Let's go geocaching please!

Probably this was enclosed into the package send to US cachers.

Nope. Nothing was 'sent' in the package besides the green jeep. But supposedly, since I did know that the Green Jeep was part of a contest, and that I agreed to get the Jeep into a cache in two weeks, I should've inferred from that agreement that it was only to stay in the lower 48.

Probably this was enclosed into the package send to US cachers.

Nope. Nothing was 'sent' in the package besides the green jeep. But supposedly, since I did know that the Green Jeep was part of a contest, and that I agreed to get the Jeep into a cache in two weeks, I should've inferred from that agreement that it was only to stay in the lower 48.

OK, that's clear to me! So where is the discussion about? If nothing was put on paper or on any website related to the GJTB, the TB can be mailed or brought to any country. Referring to past TB rules does not say anything about the GJTB rules. Besides that, it's a unique challenge for Americans to pick up a GJTB and take a picture over here to increase the chance to win a prize eg. the Jeep or a 60CSx. Commercially seen Jeep would not care about a Jeep TB travelling in Europe to improve selling here.

OK, that's clear to me! So where is the discussion about? If nothing was put on paper or on any website related to the GJTB, the TB can be mailed or brought to any country. Referring to past TB rules does not say anything about the GJTB rules. Besides that, it's a unique challenge for Americans to pick up a GJTB and take a picture over here to increase the chance to win a prize eg. the Jeep or a 60CSx. Commercially seen Jeep would not care about a Jeep TB travelling in Europe to improve selling here.

Oh, it's there, Team Firefox. If you look under the Official Contest Rules - and mind you - that's found by going from the jeep.geocaching.com homepage, then clicking on the link to get to the 'contest page', and THEN clicking on the link for the official contest rules - you'll find the following:

If a participant finds a Travel Bug and that participant relocates the Travel Bug, (any such location must be in 48 contiguous U.S./DC), as a courtesy to fellow participants, the participant is asked to record the cache listing of the Travel Bug’s new location and then access www.geocaching.com and log the new geocache location of the relocated Travel Bug by following the instructions on www.geocaching.com/track.

However, if you only goto jeep.geocaching.com and click on Official Sweepstakes Rules you won't find the restriction on moving them to the lower 48.

It's been pointed out many times here, that I am a complete doofus for not noting all of this when I requested a jeep, and agreed to place it in a cache within two weeks.

Oh, it's there, Team Firefox. If you look under the Official Contest Rules - and mind you - that's found by going from the jeep.geocaching.com homepage, then clicking on the link to get to the 'contest page', and THEN clicking on the link for the official contest rules - you'll find the following:

If a participant finds a Travel Bug and that participant relocates the Travel Bug, (any such location must be in 48 contiguous U.S./DC), as a courtesy to fellow participants, the participant is asked to record the cache listing of the Travel Bug’s new location and then access www.geocaching.com and log the new geocache location of the relocated Travel Bug by following the instructions on www.geocaching.com/track.

However, if you only goto jeep.geocaching.com and click on Official Sweepstakes Rules you won't find the restriction on moving them to the lower 48.

It's been pointed out many times here, that I am a complete doofus for not noting all of this when I requested a jeep, and agreed to place it in a cache within two weeks.

Right, this information is too well hidden Dosido. Looks like a mystery cache.

That's because the sweepstakes is not the same thing as the photo contest that utilizes the travel bugs. They are two different contests.

I believe that if you sign up to become a part of the distribution process that you make it your responsibility to do read the rules. Or at the very least just follow the direction to place it in a cache (not a post office). I can accept that someone sent it out of the country not fully aware of the rules or what their responsibility was. I only said that those who did so shouldn't be allowed to receive a jeep for distribution next year. Let them find ones that other cachers receive and place. I see nothing unfair about this.

As for Firefox, you were told repeatedly what the rules were when you first requested the jeep. So saying how difficult it was for you to find the rules doesn't fly as an excuse for your poor behavior. Geesh, I offered (repeatedly and emphatically) to send one myself after the contest ended.

Edited by Bear Paughs