Help Me Place This Neat Civil War Series

I currently have a Morgan's Raid series of caches in Kentucky. Because it is just too hard to maintain a logbook at these locations I will be closing them down soon. I would like to place them on Waymarking, but I just got rejected on one I tryed to place on the Civil War Discovery Trail. Help me place this series in the right group. To see an example, look at this cache: GCKMZC

I have seen some other Morgan historical markers listed in Kentucky Historic Markers.

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx...a1-94e3578981a4

I'm sorry that your waymark didn't fit into the Civil War Discovery Site category. I really wrestled with the disapproval.

Good idea, but not all of these have Historic Markers. They have a sign discribing what event happen at that perticular place.

What do you think about these having there own category. There are at least 20 or 30 of these sign marked places in Kentucky and 23 of them in Indiana and I beleive a few in Ohio as well. Just a thought...

Edited by Turtle3863

I currently have a Morgan's Raid series of caches in Kentucky. Because it is just too hard to maintain a logbook at these locations I will be closing them down soon. I would like to place them on Waymarking, but I just got rejected on one I tryed to place on the Civil War Discovery Trail. Help me place this series in the right group. To see an example, look at this cache: GCKMZC

You may be able to list couple of the locations in the Civil War Discovery Trail category however you will have to do a bit of research to find if any fall in the list of Discovery Trail sites. There are few Civil War Discovery Trail sites concerning Morgan's Raids these are Cynthiana Battles Driving Tour ,John Hunt Morgan's Brandenburg Raid and Leslie W. Morris Park. There may be other locations in the Civil War Discovery Trail list which are also related to the Morgan's Raids. If any of your locations are included in this listing then they can be listed in the Civil War Discovery Trail category, list them by the title listed in the CWDT list.

I'm just brainstorming here, but what if there was a new category called "At this place in history..." and people could post an event that happened at that location, regardless of whether there was a physical plaque there?

Sounds good to me. If that category is approved I will be adding at least 14 Morgan Raiders waymarks to it. Bring it on.. I will even volunteer to be one of the people who watch over the category.

Turtle3863 -

Alternatively, if your interest in just the Civil War, you could make a category based on that. I realize that there already is the Civil War Discovery Trail Sites category, but it limited itself to those sites listed by the Civil War Preservation Trust. This leaves the obvious category of all the rest of the possible Civil War interest sites that are not listed by the Trust. Your 50 - 70 site list would be a subset of your new Civil War category, and no doubt there are many other possible subsets, and therefore you would have plenty of sites and still be able to restrict your new category to U.S. Civil War interest. It would not be as limiting as the current category. The point being that the current Civil War category's presence should not require that there can't be another Civil War category, in fact it begs the question about all other Civil War interest sites not in the Trust's list.

Your new category could be made friendly to the current Civil War category by stating in its Description that if a site is in the Trust's list, it should be waymarked in the Civil War Discovery Trail Sites category instead.

I think you should start the process to make such a category and be the leader of it, not just volunteer to watch over it. You could have a variable in it called Series, or Type or Subset or some such name, and your first one in this variable's list could be the Morgan's Raid Series. Simply grow the list of items in the variable as waymarks of different types come in. I do such a thing with the Recovered US Benchmarks category and it works fine.

Turtle3863 -

Alternatively, if your interest in just the Civil War, you could make a category based on that. I realize that there already is the Civil War Discovery Trail Sites category, but it limited itself to those sites listed by the Civil War Preservation Trust. This leaves the obvious category of all the rest of the possible Civil War interest sites that are not listed by the Trust. Your 50 - 70 site list would be a subset of your new Civil War category, and no doubt there are many other possible subsets, and therefore you would have plenty of sites and still be able to restrict your new category to U.S. Civil War interest. It would not be as limiting as the current category. The point being that the current Civil War category's presence should not require that there can't be another Civil War category, in fact it begs the question about all other Civil War interest sites not in the Trust's list.

Your new category could be made friendly to the current Civil War category by stating in its Description that if a site is in the Trust's list, it should be waymarked in the Civil War Discovery Trail Sites category instead.

I think you should start the process to make such a category and be the leader of it, not just volunteer to watch over it. You could have a variable in it called Series, or Type or Subset or some such name, and your first one in this variable's list could be the Morgan's Raid Series. Simply grow the list of items in the variable as waymarks of different types come in. I do such a thing with the Recovered US Benchmarks category and it works fine.

All good points and I would be interested in Leading the category. Since this is the Getting Started section and I am not that knowleadgable about the process of submiting a catagory, Could someone give me a brief discription on how to propose a new catagory or a link to a thread that might discribe how to.

Ok, I found the guidlines and I have started a group to manage it. The group is Morgan's Raiders and it will highlight waymarks on the Morgan Raiders trail. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM and tell me why you are interested in this group. I will review the PM's and send you an invite.

I'm just brainstorming here, but what if there was a new category called "At this place in history..." and people could post an event that happened at that location, regardless of whether there was a physical plaque there?

That'd be interesting. I visited something billed as an "Historical Marker" recently that turned out not to be a Texas Historical Commission marker....

It was an "At this place..." Okay, it was actually a "Near this place..." but I assume that'd still count.