Container Size

Tzoid

In our national forums we are currently discussing if it is the internal or external size of the container that determines the size category of the cache. Some people think that it is what the container can store that is important, while others (myself included) think the size category is to give the cacher an idea of what to look for. One cacher has stated that he has a 18.4 kg micro in the works.

I'd like any input on this isssue, and preferrably a clarification from TPTB.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this message in the wrong forum. Could the appropriate moderator please move this topic to the 'Geocaching Topics' forum?

Edited by Tzoid

To me it's a micro if it doesn't have room to hold anything other than a log sheet and some very small trade items such as coins. If I embed a film can into a fake rock that is bigger than a 5 gallon bucket, is that a micro or a large? I think there's no question it's still a micro.

If I saw a new cache with the "Large" size -- a rare bird, indeed -- I'd head out there with books to trade, and that large travel bug that I'm having trouble finding a cache big enough to hold it. I'd be pretty steamed if the "Large" cache consisted of a plastic vial embedded in the bottom of a fake boulder.

Cache size has always meant for me the size of the container as it relates to trade items, log sheet vs. log scroll, whether it's essential to bring my own pen because it's likely there won't be one in the cache, etc.

The fake stump and the fake rock are camoflage, not cache container. What the owner chooses to say about them is up to the owner. The owner can always choose the "?" size classification, which signals that there may be something out of the ordinary about the container. Or, he can say it's a micro, but hint that you are looking for something bigger. Or he can not say a word, and bump up the difficulty by a star or two.

I think the current guidelines leaves room for interpretation, which is unneccessary and could be easily fixed.

So it seems. I tend to think of the size to distinguish what kind of container its in. I prefer when cache listings say things like: Large-sized container, but may not hold large tradegoods, if it is a small vial embedded in a boulder.

Personally, I think the description is a guide to finding the darned thing. No matter what guidelines we used to suggest the internal space of a container, it may well be misleading.