60 Csx: Can It Swim?

Tymbee

May be doing a trip a portion of which is by canoe.

Not to cast any doubt on my canoing expertise, but in the event we're attacked by a mad rabbit or some such critter and need to take immediate shelter in the water, how would the 60csx be expected to fare?

Docs claim "... can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes." Not likely of course that even the maddest most determined hare would take it's pursuit to such extremes, but has anyone actually immersed their unit and can provide testimony as to the result?

Me and my brother in law went canoeing a while back. I have a 60cx and he has a 60csx. Both units where exposed to the rain in a down pour. We were soaked. Anyways the next day we went the same trip and my brother in law was jumping from a canoe to a kayak and fell in with his gps hooked to his belt. It was probably under about 3 feet of water for about a minute. Not that long but he never turned it off and it was fine. That was about a month ago and he hasn't had a problem since. I kept mine on during the down pour and haven't seen anything so I would say it is pretty good.

May be doing a trip a portion of which is by canoe.

Not to cast any doubt on my canoing expertise, but in the event we're attacked by a mad rabbit or some such critter and need to take immediate shelter in the water, how would the 60csx be expected to fare?

Docs claim "... can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes." Not likely of course that even the maddest most determined hare would take it's pursuit to such extremes, but has anyone actually immersed their unit and can provide testimony as to the result?

2 years ago I purchased a 60cs and the following weekend I went canoeing. It was still under warranty so I decided now was the time to test to see if it was waterproof. I put it in my vest pocket and then went swimming. I swam the rapids a few times. The GPSr was fine. I have sense taken it and a new 60CSx out in any weather and never had a problem.

One word of caution. The unit is waterproof but it does NOT float. Make sure you clip it to yourself because you don't want to be grabbing for the GPRr while tipping over from of the attack of the killer rabbit.

True Killer Rabbit Story

... my brother in law was jumping from a canoe to a kayak and fell in ...

An action that seems almost guaranteed to produce the result it did. :lol:

Good to hear all survived. Looking at the unit there appears to be multiple vulnerable points where water could enter and do damage. However as I'm not inclined to take it apart and find out, I'm assuming that the internals must have some measure of protection not plainly visible.

Perhaps you'd care to disassemble yours and confirm this?! [KIDDING!]

Awhile back on a photo forum there was a post from a brave (insane?) soul who completely tore apart his brand new, rather expensive digital camera. Had the thing in dozens and dozens of parts spread around a table. I'm just not that curious-- or that mechanically inclined.

I tend to draw the line at replacing batteries myself.

2 years ago I purchased a 60cs and the following weekend I went canoeing. It was still under warranty so I decided now was the time to test to see if it was waterproof. I put it in my vest pocket and then went swimming.

I guess in a some ways that makes sense. A planned dip under warranty is obviously better than an unexpected plunge the day after it expires. Thanks for the soggy, and positive input.

In fact that story was what I thought of for some reason when asking the original question. Very funny episode.

I tested my 60cx a few days after I got it in a large pot of water in my kitchen. I was really testing to see if it would float or sink with regular batterys and lithium.

regular batterys.... sinks

lithium..... floats.

Got the exact same results with the legendC, though I had to discharge the lithiums since the 60cx doesn't like the high voltage of new lithiums(energizer E2). both units worked fine after each test.

I would still put it in a ziploc baggie, the heavier 'freezer bags' have thicker plastic, just in case...

They are a bit too oversized, but I put my 76CSx in a Ziploc bag, the one with the blue tab that slides to seal it up, and put it in a fanny pack when I kayak in salt water. Even though mine floats, I just don't want to get salt water on it at all.