Re-wording The Hierarchy

Everyone seems to be getting confused by the terms 'category' and 'sub-category'. I think this is because 'sub-categories' are higher in rank in the directory structure.

There are currently 15 major divisions.... and in them are some minor divisions (e.g. Historic Markers) that are being called "Sub-Categories"

It might be helpful to alter this name....

So I suggest the top 15 be called something like "Major Headings".... and if there are things directly below that cannot accept Waymarks, like Historic Markers cannot, we could call those "Minor Headings"

That would mean that Categories would fall under either "Major Headings", or the "Minor Headings" of the "Major Heading" if it applies.

:D The Blue Quasar

chstress53 Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Hey Nate don't ya love this guy!

What's not to love? :D

Somebody has to keep Opi working... otherwise he might get outside!

B) The Blue Quasar

edit: BTW, I wasn't suggesting that Ambrosia doesn't understand the current set-up, but there have been a few times when people new to Waymarking have expressed some confusion.

Edited by The Blue Quasar
chstress53 Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

What's not to love? B)

Somebody has to keep Opi working... otherwise he might get outside!

:) The Blue Quasar

edit: BTW, I wasn't suggesting that Ambrosia doesn't understand the current set-up, but there have been a few times when people new to Waymarking have expressed some confusion.

B):) Don't worry....my brain needs a jumpstart every once in a while.

Heh, actually I think he makes a good point. Sean and I refer to your categories as "user" categories, and the others as "top level" categories. If we can come up with a better designation I would not be opposed to changing the name.

How about "Departments", as with a library or bookstore? I tend to think of the directory as a big card catalogue.

I totally agree with blue Quaser, the nomenclature is way too confusing for many users of Waymarking. So many neto Waymarking think that because they see and talk about sub-Categories they think they7 can have one added there. I like Nates suggestion of changing the terms. I like depts.