Non-multi Multi's...

I'm still new to caching and haven't done any multis yet.

I guess I sort of have though. There's a series around here made of 4 regular's, each with a partial coordinate for a fifth. I recently found the last of the four, entered the partials and found the 5th.

The theme is "the Martini" series - each cache is linked to a Martini recipe.

I had an idea for another one and wondered what all y'all think of it.

Each of three or four caches would be a micro or small, each with a partial coordinate AND an "ingredient" - a part of a recipe for "something" (perfect omelette etc)

Each would also be hidden in a piece of fake food (like a plastic chili pepper, ear of corn etc) so it would kind of blend in with other vegetation but stand out if you knew what you were looking for.

Once you had all the partials, you could find the last cache with the final ingredient or maybe directions for cooking.

Would you visit a series of caches like that?

I would love to look for a cache like that! Good idea, seriously! It would be nice if the food was really easy to make and was still not well known, so it would be fun to actually cook. That would also be cool if you had coupons for the ingredients as swag. :D 'Twould be awesome!

I like the food angle!

There's nothing wrong with making it an actual multicache, though!

Sure, there might be people who avoid it because it looks like too much effort for only one find, but why cater for these shallow numbers hounds?

Make 'em _work_ for their smileys!

In the 'clever cache' category of my fond memories of caches, they're almost all multis. A series is OK, but it sort of dilutes the experience for me. Your mileage may vary.

Rgds,

Ian, theUMP. aka Bear_Left

It's not a multi or a puzzle. It's 4 regular caches and a bonus that doesn't get logged online as a 'find'.

But the bonus can get logged if it's an unknown with bogus coords. In the description cachers are instructed which caches they need to find to get the real location.

There are several series like that.

It's not a multi or a puzzle. It's 4 regular caches and a bonus that doesn't get logged online as a 'find'.

FWIW, number five is listed as an "Unknown" cache with the coordinates posted only getting you in the general vicinity.

Thanks for the feedback all! Off to find plastic fruit...

FWIW, number five is listed as an "Unknown" cache with the coordinates posted only getting you in the general vicinity.

Sounds good to me.

Have fun.

I agree, unknown/mystery. Try Wal-Mart maybe for fruit? You might just be able to grab a cache while you're there (sorry, couldn't resist).

Well from looking at the descriptions on:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

I would still say it should be listed as a multi.

Multi-Caches

Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing.

Well from looking at the descriptions on:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

I would still say it should be listed as a multi.

Multi-Caches

Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing.

The rule of thumb that most of us use is: "A cache where the listed coords are bogus, is a puzzle." If the listed coords lead you to a set of coordinates, or to a puzzle piece, then in most cases, this is a multi, that has puzzles within it.

Since the cache in question has bogus coords, it should be listed as a puzzle. If each Vegetable was merely a stage with coords to the final recipe, then it would be a multi.

Here is an example of a puzzle cache, of mine hidden in a similar fashion. Three Circles Note the listed coords are fake.

Delete a DNF log-inconceiveable! (besides they are often waaay more interesting that the actual found it logs). :lol:

If the cache position is not solvable from generally available information and stuff on the cache page then it's not a puzzle cache regardless of bogus coords. To solve this cache you actually have to visit four other caches to get the coords for the fifth. That according to the recommendations is a multi. Multis can have bogus coords just as easily as a puzzle cache, it's just that not all of them do, whereas Puzzle caches should all have bogus coords according to the recommendations.

If the cache position is not solvable from generally available information and stuff on the cache page then it's not a puzzle cache regardless of bogus coords.

Wrong

The general information on the cache page will instruct finders to seek the other four caches first.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache often involves complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve in order to determine the coordinates. The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing. For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

To solve this cache you actually have to visit four other caches to get the coords for the fifth. That according to the recommendations is a multi. Multis can have bogus coords just as easily as a puzzle cache, it's just that not all of them do, whereas Puzzle caches should all have bogus coords according to the recommendations.

Four other caches, not four sets of coordinates

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first cache or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location. Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position. Please provide the coordinates of all waypoints in the “note to reviewer” section of the cache report form when submitting a multi-cache. The reviewer will delete the text prior to approval.

Bottom line is that the first location's coords are bogus, so it should be listed as a "Catch all" or Puzzle cache.

Edited by Kit Fox

If the cache position is not solvable from generally available information and stuff on the cache page then it's not a puzzle cache regardless of bogus coords. To solve this cache you actually have to visit four other caches to get the coords for the fifth. That according to the recommendations is a multi. Multis can have bogus coords just as easily as a puzzle cache, it's just that not all of them do, whereas Puzzle caches should all have bogus coords according to the recommendations.

I don't read the descriptions the same way. An off-set multi is not bogus coords, just a "virtual" first stage. To me, if the coords are truly bogus, its an unknown or puzzle. Also, not all unknowns have to have bogus coords. It could be a really unique hide the owner wants to keep as a mystery, or any other reason to list it as "unknown." A "bonus" unknown cache is solvable from the information on the cache page - the description tells you what caches to visit to solve it.

Also, not all unknowns have to have bogus coords. It could be a really unique hide the owner wants to keep as a mystery, or any other reason to list it as "unknown."
FWIW, I think combination-lock caches where you have to solve the puzzle to get the combination should also be listed as puzzle/unknown caches, even though the cache container may be located at the posted coordinates.
Also, not all unknowns have to have bogus coords. It could be a really unique hide the owner wants to keep as a mystery, or any other reason to list it as "unknown."
FWIW, I think combination-lock caches where you have to solve the puzzle to get the combination should also be listed as puzzle/unknown caches, even though the cache container may be located at the posted coordinates.

That's right. A traditional cache should be able to be found and opened with coordinates alone.