"surveying" Quality Topo Map

Gebo

I sell commercial real estate and at times will go out in 10-500 acres and try and mark the boundaries on my 60CSx and then transfer this data onto my laptop. I will then do printouts for presentations to the owner's to try and show them how I have valued their property based on the amount of developable land they have. Most all my work is in SW Virginia.

I just purchased a 60 CSx and can purchase whatever software I desire. My boss told me I must make this work. What brand TOPO do you recommend? The laptop I have been given to use has Delorme 3-D TopoQuads on it. Is this brand what I need? Is MapSource better? Which is the best for my useage?

To complicate matters more, my personal laptop is a MAC. I have downloaded MacGPS Pro for it.

Edited by Gebo

I would suggest National Geographic TOPO! maps. You could get Backroads Explorer and then get 24K topo maps produced by the USGS for your state.

Frankly, though, until I got to the part about the Mac, for your use, I might just go with USAPhotomaps. Downnload the free program, and you'll see a blank grid. Hit T to select topo maps, and press F to fill up your maps. You can zoom in to download very detailed USGS topo maps. It's pretty slick, and did I mention its free? If you like, you can press P and then F to fill the page with black and white aerial photo maps, and for many areas, you can press U and then fill in very detailed color aerial photo maps. Oh, and its free. Not sure if it runs on a Mac . . .

Edited by Sputnik 57