Holiday Caches

I know that the norm is to put out a cache at a location where you can maintain it reasonably regularly.

We get lots of cachers to the Lake District as do other holiday destinations, where visitors might want to place a cache but can't as they are to far away to maintain it when the holiday is over.

Would it be possible for these people to post a cache location (in advance) they intend to visit (general - such as easy walk West Cumbria, high climb North Wales) and ask if anyone would be prepared to adopt it after it has been put out in the wild, and they have returned home?

I am off to Cornwall in September and would love to place a cache while I am there as well as hunt a few down.

Your thoughts.

My thought is this has been suggested before and I am probably going to get called names. :laughing:

Could even offer it visitors from abroad...

Edited by Johnmelad

Good idea,especially as it would give those in locations with less caches a chance to log a few more.As long as someone near'ish is willing to maintain it...why not....PS people may call you names,especially as your keeping the one you already have me laddie.

:laughing::lol:

Edited by Johnmelad

Possibly true, but no-ones forcing anyone to do all the caches when they come to the area and I'd assume locals would continue to place as normal or possibly the local scene might be perked up a bit by the new caches and locals may go out and place caches in nice areas that they would otherwise not have placed.

The downside is all the caches end up on the standard holiday trail whereas if the local cacher had placed it they would know a few special places for it.

On the same note, we are looking to place a series of caches in the Ravenglass area of Cumbria (somewhere we visit quite a bit and until recently was completely devoid of caches :D ). Although we could feel we could do the maintainance, we thought it might be a good idea to have someone in "support" in case of "emergencies"...

Any takers? (Please email or PM...)

Thanks B)

Bambi.

On the same note, we are looking to place a series of caches in the Ravenglass area of Cumbria (somewhere we visit quite a bit and until recently was completely devoid of caches :) ). Although we could feel we could do the maintainance, we thought it might be a good idea to have someone in "support" in case of "emergencies"...

Any takers? (Please email or PM...)

Thanks B)

Bambi.

You could try local cachers Ju & John, Search Dog Rosie or perhaps Scaw (she's a helpful old bird! :D:D )

She'll kill me for that... :)

Edited by The Golem

If you can find soemone that is happy to maintain the cache for you then you are maintaining it (indirectly) and after letting the reviewer know I an certain there will not be a problem.

That being said I don't think we should encourage this. My reason for this is because many of my least favorite caches have been placed for the sake of placing a cache and the cacher has not visited the place before, and does not intent to do again.

Sometimes when I am round the country I find somewhere that would be a great place to put a cache, but I would rather that was not used than a mass of poorly planned caches across the country. Just my opinion.

I seriously doubt this will result in anything more than the odd handful of vacation caches - and the likelihood of them being within 528 feet of anyone else's intended spot is so small it's negligible.

I'm not sure an automatic assumption that vacation caches that get placed will be poorly planned is true either - I'm pretty sure any decent cacher could plant a cache in a vacation spot every bit as good as a local.

In our travels, we've seen lots of caches which appear to placed by locals for no reason other than to place one for the sake of it so it's not only vacationers who may be guilty here. This is fine by us as we enjoy the walk and hunt but others who are just after quality caches can easily just ignore the ones they do not want to do.

I do take your point but am not convinced it's worth worrying about.

Sometimes when I am round the country I find somewhere that would be a great place to put a cache, but I would rather that was not used than a mass of poorly planned caches across the country. Just my opinion.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

I also see no reason that the caches be maintained by holiday makers themselves.I usually have most of the required bits and bobs on me when I go caching,except ammo cans.So if maintenance is required the cache owner can log a note for the next "finder" to do the neccessary work to re-enable it.This may be controversial to some,But thats why we have a forum.

I also see no reason that the caches be maintained by holiday makers themselves.I usually have most of the required bits and bobs on me when I go caching,except ammo cans.So if maintenance is required the cache owner can log a note for the next "finder" to do the neccessary work to re-enable it.This may be controversial to some,But thats why we have a forum.

Any cache placed whilst on vacation by a cacher who does not have a proper maintenance plan in place before submitting the cache will not get it published.

Proof of visiting relatives or a holiday home in the area on a regular basis is acceptable.

Arranging for someone local to perform maintenance on the cache is acceptable.

Relying on the next finder to perform maintenance on a cache is not a proper maintenance plan.

This sort of happens for normall caches, but it has it's limitations.

What if the cache goes missing? Do you replace it, and what happens when the original cache turns up that you could not find?

What happened when the thing needs attention and no one is forthcoming?

It would also be harder for someone to get permission if they are not going to be maintaining it.

What happened when the thing needs attention and no one is forthcoming?

The idea is to post the area you are intending to put a cache in (in advance) and see if anyone is willing to adopt.

If you get a volunteer, you give them much more precise details of the exact location once planted possibly even a picture.

If there is no volunteer in advance of your visit, you should not put the cache out.

I can do anywhere (within my own limits) within a 10 mile radius (as the crow flies) of Arlecdon in Cumbria.

I am impressed that TBTB managed to intervene so quickly.I thought they would but thought it would take longer.My cap is duly doffed.Now where were we....

What or who is TBTB?

What = spelling mistake.

Who...TPTB.

Can I change my name now as I'm a bit embarrassed.

I am impressed that TBTB managed to intervene so quickly.I thought they would but thought it would take longer.My cap is duly doffed.Now where were we....

What or who is TBTB?

Johnmelad me thinks you need to go here and swot up on your GeoSpeak - there will be a pop quiz for you at the end of the day so watch out! teacher.gifB)

Had a visit still can't work out what a TBTB is! Could it be a Travel Bug That Bounces? :lol:

What or who is TBTB?

Johnmelad me thinks you need to go here and swot up on your GeoSpeak - there will be a pop quiz for you at the end of the day so watch out! teacher.gifB)

Had a visit still can't work out what a TBTB is! Could it be a Travel Bug That Bounces? :lol:

teacher.gif Top marks to the new boy for outfoxing curriekev teacher.gif

:lol: I think you might be ready for Groundspeak Call My Bluff now, so pack up your books and chattles

and off to the Quad for some bulldogs and tuck. B)

I will be passing by a cache GCG6W0 All the logs for this cache state that it is in need of a good clean up. everyone says more or less the same, but no one bothers to do anything about it. so the idea of holidaymakers looking after a cache when they visit it , WILL NOT WORK. plenty must have read the logs for this cache, but no one has at yet had the decency to take a spare box with them, march 06 sinse the owner last visited the Geocache.com. So should this be a case for it getting archived or should I change the box, Remembering that this cache is not my property and I dont like to interfering with other peoples caches.as some may take offence. Will see what's said before I visit it.

Nige :lol:

I will be passing by a cache GCG6W0 All the logs for this cache state that it is in need of a good clean up. everyone says more or less the same, but no one bothers to do anything about it. so the idea of holidaymakers looking after a cache when they visit it , WILL NOT WORK. plenty must have read the logs for this cache, but no one has at yet had the decency to take a spare box with them, march 06 sinse the owner last visited the Geocache.com. So should this be a case for it getting archived or should I change the box, Remembering that this cache is not my property and I dont like to interfering with other peoples caches.as some may take offence. Will see what's said before I visit it.

Nige :lol:

I contacted the Cache owner to ask if he would object to the cache being replaced/adopted his reply...

No objections, poor health prevents me from getting out.

Regards Terry

Nige :blink:

I contacted the Cache owner to ask if he would object to the cache being replaced/adopted his reply...

Regards Terry

Regards Terry

Will replace cache(if I can find it that is) next week

Nige :unsure:

Nice one Nige

Nige :unsure:

Regards Terry

Well done.

I emailed the owner last month saying I was in the area and would he like me to maintain it for him.

Looks like you had more luck than I did, its a pity as its just in range for me to maintain.

BTW its easy to find but if you want my mobile number just pm or email me.