Original Can Of Beans

Team360, did you consider the suggestion that was made in another thread about making the OCB the Grand Prize on a humongous cache effort of some kind? That way, you would know that whoever takes it over would be a dedicated cacher that would treat the OCB with respect and carry on your tradition of showing it at events around the country.

I think that would be so cool if you did that.

Team360, did you consider the suggestion that was made in another thread about making the OCB the Grand Prize on a humongous cache effort of some kind? That way, you would know that whoever takes it over would be a dedicated cacher that would treat the OCB with respect and carry on your tradition of showing it at events around the country.

I think that would be so cool if you did that.

Cache across America?

We should celebrate next year's geocaching anniversary by taking pictures of all of us eating beans out of a can. That would be pretty funny being the first banned food item and all.

My first cache had a Sunny Delight drink in it, so I guess I'll have to wash my beans down with that.

No money problems, thank you.

Just put it out there one time, to see if it would go, but no takers.

As stated on the Ebay page, it will never be offered for sale again and now sits on the closet floor.

Oh well.

the O.C.B. should be in the Smithsonian Institution and as Geocachers we should do as much work as needed to get it in there. i for one am willing to start a movement to get the can of beans in the Smithsonian. who is with me?

Edited by b1rdbrain

As stated on the Ebay page, it will never be offered for sale again and now sits on the closet floor.

Oh well.

I have read others' suggestion that you make the OCB a FTF prize for some massive caching adventure. I think doing that or donating it to someone who could take it around would benefit the community as a whole.

However, with all due respect, you come off really selfish when you state that the item will just reside in the closet, with few trips out for it. Seems to me you wanted to make a fast buck on the item when it can/could be donated to organizations like the Smithsonian.

Donating it to a museum, passing it on to another cacher to move it around or even making it a prize would be better than letting it sit in your closet.

I have read others' suggestion that you make the OCB a FTF prize for some massive caching adventure. I think doing that or donating it to someone who could take it around would benefit the community as a whole.

However, with all due respect, you come off really selfish when you state that the item will just reside in the closet, with few trips out for it. Seems to me you wanted to make a fast buck on the item when it can/could be donated to organizations like the Smithsonian.

Donating it to a museum, passing it on to another cacher to move it around or even making it a prize would be better than letting it sit in your closet.

I agree. I also think that you should donate your GPSr to the community so that it can be used by newbies that don't have a fancy unit. How selfish of you to keep your unit to yourself!

(Don't take this the wrong way. Yes, it's slightly sarcastic. But he does now own the can of beans, put some effort into preserving it, and brings it for others to see. What's wrong with that?)

Oh well.

Yea, of course you are right...I have been so selfish and am just trying to turn it around quickly to make a fast buck... ;)

I have been taking care of the O.C.B. for several years now, traveling over 30,000 miles with it to various Cache Events and ensuring others get a chance to see it, creating travel and display cases for it, constantly straightening and reinforcing the can to keep it in the best shape possible. I even 'glove up' whenever I have to handle it for an extended period of time, to reduce potentially-acidic buildup of moisture or sweat from my hands.

Anyone else think they can do a better job, step up! How about it, Arthur & Trillian? Think you have that kind of time and money to invest into the O.C.B.? I highly doubt it. To say I should give it up (and it's my Travel Bug, too) is an insult to the years of care I have shown it.

'Move it around'??? You must be joking!! Do you even know just how fragile the O.C.B. is? Sitting in a closet is probably the best thing for it (no movement, and away from light and heat). I have to carefully pack it and personally take it with me in a separate carryon whenever I travel, to reduce the amount of damage it can sustain from rusted pieces falling off due to vibration. Following your advice to 'move it around' would be tantamount to the quick destruction of the last remaining item from the first cache. Sorry if it offends you, but reducing the number of times it will be displayed only adds to its longevity. And if I wanted to make a 'fast buck' on it, I would have put it up on Ebay a long time ago. I really didn't expect it to sell, anyhow, and as I stated on the Ebay page, if I didn't sell it, it would never be offered for sale again, and will stay with me. If you wanted it so badly, you should have bid on it when you had your chance.

I will continue to take the best care of it.

Good day to you! ;)

Has the Original Question been answered about the Original Can of Beans?

If so, the Original Poster can feel free to close the topic using the moderation options at the bottom of the page. If not, we can at least try to keep the discussion on-topic and civil, before it veers off too much.

Thanks.

edit: This post was started before Jeremy's reply. <_<

Edited by Quiggle

I'll close it. If the original poster has follow up questions s/he can open it back up again.

IMO the whole can of beans thing is just fun and campy. It actually gave me a fun idea...

Just as selfish as team 360 i'll close this topic when i am dadgum well pleased.

this whole thing is about the O.C.B. being preserved for everyone. i just think that if you want to keep the first cache alive that the first traid item should also be kept alive. the O.B.C. belongs in some kind of museum. being in the closet of a house letting just rote and complaing about moving it is just wrong. as far as it's you're travel bug fine. move it along then to some one that is willing to get it moved in to a place that can properly take care of it. but if you are going to keep it then don't act like an a** about it. take it around and show people it or get it moved in to a museum. do as you please but just don't be an a** about it. you emailed me saying "i wanted to take you're travel bug?" i say if it's from the first cache it all our travel bug. just do the right thing and give it a proper home if the smithsonian will not take it then some other museum will take it. if you're going to keep it then share it. ebay is not a place for something like this and if no one has the balls to take care of it then i will. i 'll do what ever it takes to get it placed in a museum. but team 360 has it and it's up to him to do with what he wants with it.

Edited by b1rdbrain

I'll close it. If the original poster has follow up questions s/he can open it back up again.

IMO the whole can of beans thing is just fun and campy. It actually gave me a fun idea...

Just as selfish as team 360 i'll close this topic when i am dadgum well pleased.

this whole thing is about the O.C.B. being preserved for everyone. i just think that if you want to keep the first cache alive that the first traid item should also be kept alive. the O.B.C. belongs in some kind of museum. being in the closet of a house letting just rote and complaing about moving it is just wrong. as far as it's you're travel bug fine. move it along then to some one that is willing to get it moved in to a place that can properly take care of it. but if you are going to keep it then don't act like an a** about it. take it around and show people it or get it moved in to a museum. do as you please but just don't be an a** about it. you emailed me saying "i wanted to take you're travel bug?" i say if it's from the first cache it all our travel bug. just do the right thing and give it a proper home if the smithsonian will not take it then some other museum will take it. if you're going to keep it then share it. ebay is not a place for something like this and if no one has the balls to take care of it then i will. i 'll do what ever it takes to get it placed in a museum. but team 360 has it and it's up to him to do with what he wants with it.

I have actually seen the original can of beans. Team360 does bring it to events and shows it off. He even occassionally has brought it to Southern California since its right next to Arizona. If the OP wants to see the can of beans he should write Team360 and find out when and where the next event will be where he will show off the rusted OCB.

... If the OP wants to see the can of beans he should write Team360 and find out when and where the next event will be where he will show off the rusted OCB.

Ummm.... Didn't Team360 post that it was no longer going to be taken to events and that the rusted piece of trash will live out it's days in a closet?

'Move it around'??? You must be joking!! Do you even know just how fragile the O.C.B. is? Sitting in a closet is probably the best thing for it (no movement, and away from light and heat).
Edited by sbell111
... If the OP wants to see the can of beans he should write Team360 and find out when and where the next event will be where he will show off the rusted OCB.

Ummm.... Didn't Team360 post that it was no longer going to be taken to events and that the rusted piece of trash will live out it's days in a closet?

'Move it around'??? You must be joking!! Do you even know just how fragile the O.C.B. is? Sitting in a closet is probably the best thing for it (no movement, and away from light and heat).

Guess I hadn't read where Team360 said he was keeping it in a closet. In that I case, I will tell the original poster that what I saw looked like a rusted can, much like you might find looking for a cache in area that has been used as a trash dump. I personally don't see the interest in this can as an historical artifact other than to show another reason why stuff left in caches degrades.

Guess I hadn't read where Team360 said he was keeping it in a closet. In that I case, I will tell the original poster that what I saw looked like a rusted can, much like you might find looking for a cache in area that has been used as a trash dump. I personally don't see the interest in this can as an historical artifact other than to show another reason why stuff left in caches degrades.

It's from the very first cache. if they placed a marker on the first spot of a cache then they should take the same care in the first traid item. after all it was what started a world wide game. we all go looking for some ones little something in god who knows where to sign a log to say we did it and it all started from the O.C.B. in the first cache in Organ.

It's from the very first cache. if they placed a marker on the first spot of a cache then they should take the same care in the first traid item. after all it was what started a world wide game. we all go looking for some ones little something in god who knows where to sign a log to say we did it and it all started from the O.C.B. in the first cache in Organ.

;)

Dude, it's his to do with as he pleases.

Edited by CheshireFrog

I would like to volenteer to be the keeper of the O.C.B. I will take it all over the world and share it with cachers at events. But first we need to talk about who is going to pay to have it proffesionaly preserved, and all my travel expenses. Furthermore since i will not be able to have a job, because I will be sharing this treasure with everyone, who will pay my house, car, insurance, and other expenses that normal people have. If we decide to pay someone to travel around with it I'd like to be first on the list. I am willing to bet that if someone was wealthy enough to be able to do all this, Team360 would give it up in a second. Untill than lay off him. he went out and mad a monument of the first cache, he was intrusted with the can by the person who originaly hide it, I don't want to even think about how much money he has spent taking care of it and taking it to various events over the years. Now to the OP. what have you done to help preserve the history of this sport besides openly flame the person who has done nothing but help preserve the history of the sport?

I actualy met Team360 at an event, and saw the OCB. Up untill that point I knew nothing about the history of Geocaching, That day I got a nice in depth history lesson and a few intresting stories about it.

I too have met Team360 and have interacted with him a number of times. He has spent a lot of time, money, and energy supporting geocaching, and in keeping the OCB preserved. I don't think I could have done nearly as well in doing so as he has. As others have stated, I don't think very many of us could legitimately claim to be able to do better either.

For the record, I don't think it's the least bit fair to sling accusations his way since, um, he isn't exactly able to come to these forums and defend himself at the moment. But I digress.

Frankly, aside from kitch value, the can is nothing but a rusty old can. It's hardly spectacular. I was glad to have seen it, but it wasn't exactly a life-changing experience.

And just because it arguably has some minor historical significance doesn't by default make it a public possession. He found it, and unless Dave Ulmer decides he absolutely has to have his can of beans back, it's therefore his rightful possession. I for one won't be holding my breath for that to happen...

having never seen a picture of the OCB might I suggest encasing the entire thing inside of Clear Acrylic Plastic? It would be forever protected and frozen in time.

Im not sure what the cost might be but Im sure it wouldnt be too much, based on the amount of time and effort Team360 has already put into its maintenance.

I for one would LOVE to see the OCB at an event but if each time it travels it takes damage its not going to last very long :huh:

Considering the fact that Team360, holder of the OCB is now a banned member, he may be eating burritos or tostadas for dinner tonight. :P

Why was he banned? and who has the say in who gets banned? not to get off subject but if the man can not clearly speack out about my thread then this matter will be closed till he can speak. i'm going to close this matter in 24 hours from right now till team 360 can speak for him self. i think that it's only fair that the man with the can is able to speak about the beans. :P

He was banned for reasons that are between him and Groundspeak. He's still got the can, and I doubt he's going to be willing to hand it over to a less rightful owner/custodian.

Aaaaaaaand I think that about sums it up. Time to move on. Go find some caches. Or better yet, hide some. Rumor has it there are still a few parking lots here in the Valley that still don't have a cache. :P

... he was intrusted with the can by the person who originaly hide it ...

I don't have the thread handy to link to, but didn't he just pull the rusted scrap out of a hole in the ground? It's not like it was willed to him by the 'inventor'.

True, 360 was diging a hole to place a concrete footing to attach the plaque to and unearthed the can. 360 asked dave if he wanted it, and dave said he could keep it. I don't think it's anywhere near as important as king Tut, but it is a nice peice of history to geocaching. 360 saw fit to fix it up best as he could and share it with others in his travels. Had it not been at an event I may have never learned about the history of geocaching. It's more of a geocaching conversation peice than a holly grail, just my $.02.

If the OCB is so important, but it's non-available, why doesn't someone start the Un-original Can Of Beans TB? I've found the Original Stash Tribute Plaque (which belonged to Team 360 at the time) as well as a cache called the Un-Original Stash - just 70 feet away.

If the OCB is so important, but it's non-available, why doesn't someone start the Un-original Can Of Beans TB?

I got that covered. :laughing: My "Not the Original Can of Beans" Travel Bug. Ironically, it was picked up by a noob who hasn't logged the find.

In geocaching, there is nothing new under the sun. It's funny how often someone starts a thread saying, "I've got an idea for a cache/travel bug", and someone responds saying they've seen it or hidden it already.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA
Time to move on. Go find some caches. Or better yet, hide some. Rumor has it there are still a few parking lots here in the Valley that still don't have a cache. <_<

Agreed! This seems more the Original Can of Worms (OCW) than the Original Can of Beans (OCB).

:laughing: