Welcome

vespax

There is the problem "telkomsa.net"

I had the same problem with my father in law when he tried to register.

The emails never went through to TelkomSA.net. When I changed it to my gmail account I got the validation messages fine. Changing back to telkomsa.net then still gave problems.

I think he tried to chat to telkom, but they were not very helpful.

Hi

Did all that somehow the validation mail does not reach my new mail address. I have had the same problem with the sa weather service. It is something to do with Telkom I think. The mail address is brian7@telkomsa.net :laughing:

Yep - I think you are quite right about the ....@telkomsa.net assumption. When I lived in SA I had similar problems and now that I live abroad I get a bounce every time I send anybody an e-mail @telkomsa.net! I do not send e-mails to that address anymore because I know they will not get through. It has something to do with the firewall I think that blocks all mail that originates in the Middle East - or in Qatar at least. The address .....@vodamail.co.za is the same.

Good luck.

Your guess is correct. I had a lot of problems with telkomsa.net. Somehow I never received any e-mails and/or notifications. Telkom is claiming the problem is not with them.

I then used another free e-mail service which I enjoy. Now it is now longer a problem and I receive all my e-mails.

The one I am using is www.smsad.co.za and this will help you. You have about 7 gig of space for your e-mails which is huge. The service is free and it is internet based. You can access your e-mails anywhere.

Gerhard

Thanks all. I already have a handfull of addresses and do not need another. Perhaps Groundspeak can send the mail to my mail address. I have sent them a request, BUT, you guessed did not recieve a reply. :unsure::sad:

There is no need to send Groundspeak a request. Go to your "profile" and change the e-mail address yourself. As easy as that. :huh:

Edited by cincol

Brian, you are confusing me. I can not understand your problem. This is the steps and geocaching.com is not needed. You must get it going.

1. Select a cache that you done quite recently.

2. Select your log and click on your name that appears on top of the log.

3. You will now get to a page called “Profile for User”. Your username should appear as well.

4. On the top you will find “Edit my profile”.

5. Click on it and your account details will be shown.

6. You will see that your e-mail is appearing as the third item. Enter your new e-mail as shown.

7. It is now important to validate your account details. If this is not done it will revert back to the old e-mail. Maybe this is the problem.

8. Enter your password in the field below your username.

9. Go to the bottom and click “Update account”.

Everything should be fine now. You now have to test your e-mail notification to see if your e-mail is functioning. Ok, you have one cache called “Glenshee” which will be visited by me this Saturday for a FTF. OK, I hear people running they are probably trying to beat me to the cache. There goes my FTF. Cat is out of the bag.

Test your e-mail by doing the following.

1. Go to Glenshee, your first cache that was stashed.

2. On the right click “Log your visit”.

3. Go to “Type of log” and select “Found it”.

4. Type a short message such as “This is a test and I will wait for gerhardoosMPsa to find it and I will delete this log or else I will have a cacher with tears in his eyes”.

5. Click “Submit log entry”.

6. Open your e-mail and it should appear very quickly in your e-mail.

7. If it does not appear then the fault is not with geocaching.com but with your e-mail and your filter for spam.

8. If it does not appear then you go to www.smsad.co.za and you open a e-mail account.

9. Then redo from the top and you should be a very happy cacher.

My friend I hope it works. If it does not work then I hope you stay in Gauteng. I will be there in the next two weeks. RedGlobe really want some finds on the caches to the North so I will see if it is worth it. Yes, I have his telephone number and if I battle I will phone you Mr. RedGlobe.

My fee is quite cheap as I only ask one cup of coffee. It should not be a train smash. So please try the above and if it does not work then please e-mail me your home GPS waypoint and I will inform you when I will visit you to help you. Ok, I forgot I will be in Pretoria at about 04h00 and the callout fee will then be two cups of coffee. If you fix the e-mail you could save the two cups and a very early morning call.

Please keep me inform, I hope you can fix this one as it sounds like a real pain.

Gerhard

Hello. Thank you for the concern.

The problem is the Telkom mail server. Validation mails from Groundspeak are filtered out.

I have to use my work mail address instead which works fine and does recieve the validation mails, but for obvious reasons is less than desireable to use.

I will gladly sent you my contact details so that you can see the problem for yourself.

Regards

Glider Slider ;)

On the subject of welcomes, I would like to welcome my colleague "Jan van Riebeeck" to the sport of geocaching. May you go on to find many more especially as you and your wife enjoy the outdoors on your mountain bikes. As you cycle you can collect caches and learn some interesting historical facts at the same time.

Safe travel, safe caching.

BruceTP

Spelling

Edited by BruceTP

Welcome to new cachers, Woody Walker, Earth Seeker, Quad 4 and Goblins. May you and your clan have many fun filled adventures traveling vast distances on your quest. Your mission is clear, now go forth and enjoy! And should we meet beside a rock, in a quite place or ;) near a stream be shure that time is made for the telling of the tale. :P

Helloooo... I'm very new to GeoCaching, I have only found three caches... Anyone based in Pretoria?

Welcome 'nadia@1618events.co.

We are based just north of Pretoria and yes there is lots more geocachers in Pretoria with the majority in Centurion area.

Please see the event later in August on the listing and it will be good to meet the other cachers.

PS. I do not see any cache logs on your profile of the caches you have found?

Edited by RedGlobe

Woohah, we have some new cachers in Ermelo. Team is called Thequeenofhearts and Babbelenbekkie. I hope your guys have a long caching career. We need some competition here in MP. Welcome. Gerhard

Brilliant and welcome. You have some good mentors in your area - and great caches to find by all accounts.

Enjoy the Hunt

Welcome to E82. He was introduced to geocaching by Megaben and did his first cache (an EarthCache) on 1Sept. A week later and he is already standing on 23 (which include 2 ECs).

Well done E82. You make me proud. Just a quick interesting one in the name E82. It is not a Phone brand.

e82 is the periodic table element Lead or Pb. In Afrikaans it is Lood. So Welkom Lood le Roux AKA E82 by die familie.

Then another welcome to the 3 Little Pigs. I know you and the family will enjoy the game as much as we do. Well done on your first 3 finds yesterday.

Welcome to the Red Proteas who just signed on Saturday, 14th November in the morning. They then proceded to our Picnic in the Garden Event and went on the long, tough hike to find geocaches with the rest of the crowd!! Well done!! Remember to give us a shout if you need any assistance!! Best of luck and we hope you enjoy caching as much as we do!

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across Geocaching a few months ago and thought it was a brilliant idea! I didn't have a GPS or anything but I registered anyway. I got the other half interested and then when my parents gave me a GPS for Christmas 2009, we went on our first treasure hunt! We logged 9 finds between Grahamstown and Lady Grey between Xmas and New Years :P We're hooked. Already planning some nice spots to hide a few more!

Cheers

Tara & John

:rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across Geocaching a few months ago and thought it was a brilliant idea! I didn't have a GPS or anything but I registered anyway. I got the other half interested and then when my parents gave me a GPS for Christmas 2009, we went on our first treasure hunt! We logged 9 finds between Grahamstown and Lady Grey between Xmas and New Years :D We're hooked. Already planning some nice spots to hide a few more!

Cheers

Tara & John

:anibad:

Welcome guys.

Good to have more E Cape cachers on board - nd hope to see some good caches and stories from you along the way.

BTW: A great bunch of people cache in SA - you should enjoy it! :P

Hey Geocachers of South Africa!

I'm not exactly new to Geocaching (With 74 Caches under my belt :laughing: ) but this is my first visit to the forum!

I've recently decided to up my notch in this amazing hobby and managed to do 18 caches yesterday in the Irene area! This is a personal record for me and I was exhausted after this day-trip!

I hope to get more involved in the SA Geocaching community!

Sjoe, it seems that there are many experienced cachers in the Western Cape... kinda feel that I have been missing out on such an awesome hobby and quite left behind of the pack. I am what you call a typical newbie where I pretty much struggle to find caches and trying not to throw in the towl, but I'll march on and conquer!!

Looking forward in meeting everybody at the meet on the 5th Dec.

Well we thought we would say HELLO from the 2 Newbies on the block!! All the way up Northern KZN.

I use to live in Cape Town and was introduced to GC by a friend. After moving back to Durban to be with my hubby, I chatted to him about GC and tried to explain how it work. Thought,let me rather show him what GC is all about.

So last weekend while trying to juggle with month end shopping and my hubby walking with his phone in the shop to see what cache is near him, we decided to do some caching. We had 3 finds and he is super addicted.

We will def be out and about caching this weekend.

Out for now!! :anitongue:

Well we thought we would say HELLO from the 2 Newbies on the block!! All the way up Northern KZN.

I use to live in Cape Town and was introduced to GC by a friend. After moving back to Durban to be with my hubby, I chatted to him about GC and tried to explain how it work. Thought,let me rather show him what GC is all about.

So last weekend while trying to juggle with month end shopping and my hubby walking with his phone in the shop to see what cache is near him, we decided to do some caching. We had 3 finds and he is super addicted.

We will def be out and about caching this weekend.

Out for now!! :anitongue:

WELCOME GUYS - AND HOPE TO HEAR MUCH MORE FROM YOU - FOR MANY HAPPY YEARS TO COME