Welcome

vespax

Thanx Edkin,correct. I only have about 6 caches left to do in the greater George area (anything between Mosselbaai and Knyna). After that I will need to look a little further away from home rolleyes.gif

I recall seeing your name in some of the caches as well cool.gif

You would have indeed. I was in the George area over Easter. I stayed with D person and yster-man and we did some finds and I helped them hide "geneva common" and "View over paradise" or something like that. I think you nabbed the FTF on the latter didn't you?

Thats right. well done on the FTF's Hopefully we'll see you around the Cape Town area sometime. One of the reasons that I remember you is because of the uniqeness of your user name. Any history behind it that you'd like to share or is it personal?

Edited by edkin

Thats right. well done on the FTF's Hopefully we'll see you around the Cape Town area sometime. One of the reasons that I remember you is because of the uniqeness of your user name. Any history behind it that you'd like to share or is it personal?

Thanks. Geocaching is growing in George and a lot of new caches have been placed recently. (I currently have 8 FTFs because of this)

I have always had some interest in mythology and mythical creatures. specifically the Gryphon . One day while playing LAN games with my friends I quickly had to think of a nickname and the first thing that popped up was Gryphon. From there on it just stuck.

I later shortened it as the GR also represents my surname and the PH represents my name , hence GRyPH. I use this nick on several forums and such. however on Geocaching.com the nick was allready taken so I just added the 7's to it.biggrin.gif

How do one convince others that this is NOT a waste of time and gas.....those stuckup people makes my blood boil!!!! There's a lot of things they do that seems even more time and money wasting....like paying R500 to play a round of golf at some estate...walking after the ball you're just wacking away from yourself each time you find it...(I know it's a sport, but just to look at it in a critical way). I think geocaching is much more affordable and fun. :)

Hey guys,

Thank you very much :)

Actually I am just a visitor from Germany on my semester study abroad.

Unfortunately, I had to leave Mo back home so just one half of us is enjoying SA.

You have a great caching community here!

Best regards :D

Hi guys,

I'm new to caching, and must say I am already addicted to this hobby.

Got 10 finds so far in a bit more than a week.

I discovered this hobby totally by accident, saw the feature on my GPS and went and watched a vid of what is geocaching on YouTube, and the rest is history, went out and discovered my first cache the very next day.

Looking forward to many years of happy caching ahead.

Cheers

Edited by Charelvanbiljon

Hi guys,

I'm new to caching, and must say I am already addicted to this hobby.

Got 10 finds so far in a bit more than a week.

I discovered this hobby totally by accident, saw the feature on my GPS and went and watched a vid of what is geocaching on YouTube, and the rest is history, went out and discovered my first cache the very next day.

Looking forward to many years of happy caching ahead.

Cheers

Welcome

Hope you are already engrossed in the hobby (as it sounds). Look out for an event cache nearby and come along - there you'll meet up with a whole bunch of similar people to you.

And check out the MEGA event coming up in Pretoria in a few weeks time - this is a MUST ATTEND - as it is the first time ever in Africa and you will kick yourself if you miss it.

Where are you based?

gid moaning,

i'm not new to geocaching (62 found, possibly 63), but i am new to the forum.

i started off comfortably, then went into hibernation until my manager ditched his dingleberry and got an s3. as he picked up the hobby, i started up again. he's on 70 finds now and we're racing to a 100.

my handicap is my wife not being super keen to go driving around. :)

looking forward to picking your brains and engaging in intellectually (hang on, how many L's in there?) stimulating conversation. :)

gid moaning,

i'm not new to geocaching (62 found, possibly 63), but i am new to the forum.

i started off comfortably, then went into hibernation until my manager ditched his dingleberry and got an s3. as he picked up the hobby, i started up again. he's on 70 finds now and we're racing to a 100.

my handicap is my wife not being super keen to go driving around. :)

looking forward to picking your brains and engaging in intellectually (hang on, how many L's in there?) stimulating conversation. :)

Welcome - intellectually (?) - I thought us geocachers were lacking something upstairs - that's why we run around outside in all weather types looking for MacDonalds toys :) ?

Great to have some new caching teams on the horizon. Hope to meet you at the Mega event in Pretoria soon.

Take it easy - pop across for 10 minutes - in a nice spot like the Palmiet reserve - non threatening. And dont force her - my wife enjoys caching - but only certain times and certain caches - so great trade off - I dont push it, and she comes along every now and then - and the same with my sons.

It is fun, and needs to be fun for everyone.

See you around - we are also based in Durbs.

Hi there,

Been wanting to try caching for a few months now, and got a lovely GPS for Christmas so at last we can! My kids are excited too as this will become a family activity, esp to assist them with navigation and map skills :) (We homeschool so it will be a fun regular outing too)

The older boys are trying to figure out the "code" left on the first two we have earmarked. Looking forward to finding loads of caches and learning more about this fascinating adventure!

Hi , new from KZN.

Found 3 today, easy finds, missed x 1 ( could not find x 1 )

Took my sister, nephew and Shaun with as well, now they are also joining.

Going to Umdloti 2mr for work will try and find another 2.

getting the family out into the open air and trying to challenge a youngsters mind.

C

Hi, I'm new to geocaching (picked up sme of the fuss about 31 days of geocaching and decided to finally try it out) but I so a lot o hiking, camping etc and until recently have been running a Scout troop. Looking forward to being part of the community

Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy it - as we all do! Why not share what area you are in so the "locals" can get to know you better?

Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy it - as we all do! Why not share what area you are in so the "locals" can get to know you better?

Thanks cincol, of course. I live in Benoni and work in Craighall Park in Johannesburg.

I'm quite excited because my first cache hide has just gone live, in deepest Benoni (GC4KVHB)

Hi All,

Newby to GeoCaching and thrilled that there are so many Caches close by. I have logged 3 this week, and today's one was quite special... It is our 6th wedding anniversary, and it was the first time I took my hubby & son on a GeoCache hunt. It was a very challenging nano cache, but we found it before we gave up :laughing:

Thank you to the local community for creating and hiding such interesting Caches. Hope to make the 10 chache mark by the end of the 10th month of this year...

Would love to meet other Geocachers and learn more!

Great fun! Love the CITO concept - concerve and care for our planet!

Love BarAshPlanB (North-west parts of JHB)

Hi All,

Newby to GeoCaching and thrilled that there are so many Caches close by. I have logged 3 this week, and today's one was quite special... It is our 6th wedding anniversary, and it was the first time I took my hubby & son on a GeoCache hunt. It was a very challenging nano cache, but we found it before we gave up :laughing:

Thank you to the local community for creating and hiding such interesting Caches. Hope to make the 10 chache mark by the end of the 10th month of this year...

Would love to meet other Geocachers and learn more!

Great fun! Love the CITO concept - concerve and care for our planet!

Love BarAshPlanB (North-west parts of JHB)

Welcome, hoping to see you at an event soon!

Hi everyone

I'm new here :) Starting caching on 01/01/2014! Loving every minute of it and have hooked in a bunch of other people (dont think they'll use the forums). Have yet to get my bestie onto Geocaching, I think she fails to see the fun in it but maybe we'll take her along on a caching trip.

Learning lots, and enjoying finding the caches around CPT! Can't wait to do ALL of them (haha extreme goal I'm sure!) as well as try some outside of CPT and when we travel to East London and PE during the year for family visits! Will be nice not to just drive straight to the end location but be able to stop off and find (or at least hunt for haha) some caches :D

Where does one find out about the Cache Events in the area?

Hi everyone

I'm new here :) Starting caching on 01/01/2014! Loving every minute of it and have hooked in a bunch of other people (dont think they'll use the forums). Have yet to get my bestie onto Geocaching, I think she fails to see the fun in it but maybe we'll take her along on a caching trip.

Learning lots, and enjoying finding the caches around CPT! Can't wait to do ALL of them (haha extreme goal I'm sure!) as well as try some outside of CPT and when we travel to East London and PE during the year for family visits! Will be nice not to just drive straight to the end location but be able to stop off and find (or at least hunt for haha) some caches :D

Where does one find out about the Cache Events in the area?

Hi Rat Tails.

Welcome to geocaching and the forums. I have not been here in a while.

The best place to see events is on the weekly news letter sent out by geocaching.com.

I think the news letter lists all events within about 200 km from home co-ords, and then also lists the upcoming mega events world wide.

We have an upcoming Mega in Durban in October.