Garage Sale Etiquette?

If someone posts something in the Garage Sale forum at a high price (e.g., a used GPS for more than current "street price" available in retail store or online vendors) - is it bad manners to point it out to them?

It seems to me that "Garage Sales" are for bargain hunters and haggling is part of the process. If someone posts something at a ridiculous price, they're either poorly informed - or looking for a sucker who is poorly informed. Maybe both. In such cases, I think calling them on it is entirely respectable.

The reason I bring this up is because I have done exactly that a few times - and things ALWAYS get ugly. Yet the reason I do it publicly is because in private email some sellers have been even MORE ill-mannered.

How do you feel about a bit of public haggling - both as buyer and seller?

Edited by lee_rimar

I think the only reason people get upset and ill mannered about someone calling them out on overpricing is because you just cost them some money. On the flip side though, you just saved someone else money and I'm sure they're grateful even if you don't hear from them. Whether the the seller is being dishonest or not, i think posting your thoughts is appropriate, if they're really trying to be honorable business men they'll adjust the price if it was an error. Oh, and don't feel bad if someone calls you a name because you publically corrected them, it doesn't make you look bad at all and makes them look worse in the long run.

Also, I think it's funny when someone is trying to scam someone and gets caught- so good on you for keeping us all entertained too!

I've both bought and sold in the Garage sale forum, and in neither case did the asking price go unchallenged.

All my price haggling was done in private via E-mail. As far as agreeing on a sale price, I don't think it should be done in public, or else it could turn into a messy bidding war.

As for overpriced items, I think it is appropriate to say something if it's way overpriced. What I really think is that people ought to do their homework better on both sides.

If someone posts something in the Garage Sale forum at a high price (e.g., a used GPS for more than current "street price" available in retail store or online vendors) - is it bad manners to point it out to them?

I think If you do it nicely its ok, but if your like 'thats a rip off! who you trying to cheat?' that would be rude.

If sellers get mad that you've "cost them money" then they were definently looking for someone to overcharge. Don't get me wrong, sellers can price things at whatever and can choose to change their price or not. But they shouldn't get upset if someone says 'that seems high consider a new one is only X online' (or other nicely phrased things).

Well I think it is good, most of the time these people that list a high price have fewer than 4 posts and are here to make money fast, if they can. One of the sites I use doesn't allow someone to post in the for sale section until they have over 20 posts to stop this type of behavior.

One of the sites I use doesn't allow someone to post in the for sale section until they have over 20 posts to stop this type of behavior.
I like that idea.

One thing I've noticed about the last couple of people that had posted products for more than street price was that they were using fairly new user IDs -- one had posted their ad the same day they joined the forums. "Getting to know the neighborhood" first might prevent that.

Edited by lee_rimar

I think that “most” of the time the high priced sellers are not educated on current pricing. What is usually being sold here is medium technology electronic devices and software that can loose half their value overnight. A quick trip to eBay doing a completed search will inform you of what you can get for it on eBay. Now, if you want to sell it here, drop off a few bucks for the eBay commission and It will be sold quicker and more painless than eBay. If you want to sell it on eBay, fine sell it on eBay but please don’t list a link from here to eBay. Why? Because people are looking for bargains here and rarely do you get a bargain on a GPS at eBay. You’re wasting our time having to open and read the thread to find that it’s a stinkin’ eBay link! Just like the people that don’t close their thread when the item is sold. You open a thread and sift down through a dozen replies to find the item is sold.

Okay, now I feel better, sorry for wasting your time but thanks for listening.

Edited by Cacheoholic

It seems to me that "Garage Sales" are for bargain hunters and haggling is part of the process. If someone posts something at a ridiculous price, they're either poorly informed - or looking for a sucker who is poorly informed. Maybe both. In such cases, I think calling them on it is entirely respectable.

The reason I bring this up is because I have done exactly that a few times - and things ALWAYS get ugly. Yet the reason I do it publicly is because in private email some sellers have been even MORE ill-mannered.

How do you feel about a bit of public haggling - both as buyer and seller?

For some background, this topic involved discussion of lee_rimar's nose. I looked at it a couple of days ago and unfortunately many of the original posts have been edited. I would've liked to have seen them.

I agree about GPSrs on eBay going for too much money. I've seen some 4yr old units sell for $120. The buyers are uninformed and don't know they can get something nicer like a brand new eXplorist 210 or blue Legend for that same price. Last night I contacted a seller on eBay who had listed an old GPS 300 as an eXplorist 300. It will be interesting to see what their response is. Apparently both buyers and sellers are misinformed there.

...background, this topic involved discussion of lee_rimar's nose.
Actually, that was me poking fun at my own nose (great honker that it is); and my own cheapskate tendencies (hey, air IS free!). Somehow the seller took personal offense at that.

In another thread some time ago, the ugliness WAS my fault. Seller advertised a used GPS for well above then street price of a new unit; I said "That's not much of a bargain" and linked to an online store.

Seller replied something like "Okay, I'll match that price" or went maybe $10 less.

In a crabby mood, I replied "Gee, you must think we're stupid over here."

MISTAKE! I could stand by that remark or apologize for it - but it wouldn't matter; you can't undo a slap in the face.

So... Always with a smile now, and maybe a joke (though some people can't even take a joke), but I try not to be rude.

Selling used electronics is a tricky proposition at best. I agree that most people who sell in here aren't trying to take advantage of anyone. Electronics start out expensive, and quickly become less expensive as new technologies or versions with more bells and whistles become available.

The person who gets a new gps and uses it for two months, then drops out of caching or buys another gps doesn't always realize that the cost has gone down on them so drastically, and who can really blame them for thinking that since they harldy used it, it ought to be worth most of what they paid for it. (Except that isn't the way it works).

When we bought our Legends a couple of years ago, we paid $185 for them on sale. Now they sell all the time for $140 and you can catch them on sale for $110 if you watch. Folks who bought one for $180 and only used it three times are likely to think "Well, it's almost brand new. I should be able to get $125 out of it" But who would pay that for a used model with no guarentee when they can have a new one for about the same price? And once you realize that no one wants your valuable almost new gps, you have some tough choices to make.

You can bite the bullet and sell it for a truely fair used priced....Um, I would think that in the case I mention above $70-80 would see it get snapped up quick and people would consider it for up to $100.

Or you can go the online auction route. Those places are interesting to watch. I often see things worth $10 go for $40 in a feeding frenzy. If you really have to get a lot of money for something, list is there and have a minumum price you will settle for.

I appreciate people who offer their goods here first, so another cacher can have the first crack at something. But I agree with whoever said "but don't list it here, too" If you choose to go the online auction route, you don't need to list it here--that just makes it seem like you are trying to take advantage of other cachers (even if you aren't).

I do think that we ought to look out for each other in here. If we see something being offered for a price that is out of line--either too low or too high--we ought to pipe up. As long as it is done pleasantly and respectfully, there really shouldn't be any hard feelings created.

Here is my opinion on this subject:

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error."

:laughing:

Perhaps a Garage sale sticky for "New prices" found? This may become a toughie in dealing with posting this info and promoting some .com or retailer, blah blah legal stuff...

But if there is an actual, up-to-date listing people can reference, we can inform folks new to GPSrs, sellers, buyers and the like on "reaonable" prices. Heck, we all may find a deal on that new-fangeled GPS somehow!

I've sold 4 brand new, in box GPSrs on other sites that I have posted here, and ended up selling elsewhere because most look at a Garage sale a spot to find deals. Some think 20 bucks off brand new, including shipping is a good deal. Most want more than that off new in this forum because it is a deal we are all looking for. (I look for upgrade deals every day here!) If one finds a deal, you would hope they are kind-hearted and doesn't MSRP it just to make a huge profit...that would be ideal. However, not everyone is anti-profit! :laughing: A "finders fee" is reasonable, but not all-out, unreasonable markup.

The etiquitte shoud just involve being an informed seller, informed buyer, and playing fair--no public flaming, etc.

I've had some very productive email conversations with some folks here about standing their ground on a price, lowering their price, and negotiating agreeable trades. Being nice goes much farther than being offensive. :laughing:

I think if you can find a better deal, it would help a potential buyer (and maybe a few others) by pointing out a deal... if the buyer doesn't like it, well so be it. I buy electronics all the time for people, and i try to look at everything.

If I knew nothing about GPSrs and had to buy one for the first time.... I would be shopping local and buying from a knowledgable sales person that i could run back too if i had any difficulties... otherwise its a gamble that may pay off.

I think it also hurts the Groundspeak forum to allow people to get away with rip off prices, and it seems there is a lot of respect for this and I find it a big plus when someone says "clearance sale at..."

And as for lee rimar... i respect him very much as I learned a lot from his lowrance posting..... nose and all.

...lee rimar... i respect him very much as I learned a lot from his lowrance posting...
Thanks.

But you must realize I'm not an active cacher, and I'm just here for the tech tips? Oddly enough, that's one of the more common (mild) insults here. People I have quibbled with on pricing have replied along the lines of "What do YOU know? You've only found 6 caches!"

No respect earned there, that's for sure :D

Edited by lee_rimar

Okay where’s Team Chevelle? Thought Johnny would have posted by now. I checked his profile and was shocked to see he hasn’t checked in for a week. Hope he’s okay.

:) I actually haven't read the forums in quite a while and just happened to stick my head in today. Was quite amused to find myself mentioned recently! B) I haven't posted in many weeks -- guess this is a good chance to dive back in...

In any case, in my opinion, people should be able to say something if others are asking too much money. Provided that they can back it up. Once in a while, I'll see someone say "Your price sucks! You can get them NEW for less than that." To which I will commonly reply "Where exactly?" -- and then they either don't answer or so that they saw one in some store somewhere that no one could possibly verify for a price way lower than makes any sense.

So, in those situations, I think the person that replied that the price was too high was in the wrong -- because it isn't really available publicly at that lower price.

But, usually, the case is just that the seller is asking way too much. In those cases, I do hope that someone points it out (i.e. warns potential buyers) that the price is too high.

We get a lot of newbies in there looking for equipment. They don't know any better in a lot of cases -- and will spend too much buying old stuff. I think we, as helpful users, should warn them not to make that mistake. Even if it upsets a seller now and then. :)

- John...

Once in a while, I'll see someone say "Your price sucks! You can get them NEW for less than that." To which I will commonly reply "Where exactly?" -- and then they either don't answer or so that they saw one in some store somewhere that no one could possibly verify for a price way lower than makes any sense.

I had a potential buyer tell me exactly that, and he told me where--imagine that! So I called Cabela's outlet and asked about the similar unit and packaging. The Cabela's gal told me that all they had there were open, used, and returned units in repackaged, resealed "original" packaging.

I then replied to the potential buyer what I had found, and his "too much" statement was followed up with a sheepish, "will you take this much?" Following up, and being in the know as much as possible is the best service we can offer eachother as to not get ripped of--being a big chunk of GPS sales and all...

JM2C

If you're honestly interested in buying the item and think the price is a bit high, making a lower offer is entirely appropriate.

If you're not honestly interested in buying the item and think the price is a bit high, blasting the price is not much different than any other type of forum flame.

Whats wrong with keeping your nose out of other folks business? The garage sale forum is just that, a place of business. Would you just as readily interfere with any other type of legitimate business transaction that you are not a party to?

If you're honestly interested in buying the item and think the price is a bit high, making a lower offer is entirely appropriate.

If you're not honestly interested in buying the item and think the price is a bit high, blasting the price is not much different than any other type of forum flame.

Whats wrong with keeping your nose out of other folks business? The garage sale forum is just that, a place of business. Would you just as readily interfere with any other type of legitimate business transaction that you are not a party to?

I must agree - all exchanges should be behind closed doors.

Ah -- but you've manipulated the situation. Yes, if the price is "a bit high", then staying out of it makes sense. But what about when the price is quite a bit high? I mean, I'ev commonly seen someone selling used equipment that could easily be bought BRAND NEW from a reputable dealer online for less money. In those cases, it is NOT the same thing as "any other type of forum flame" to let people know that the thing brand-new from a good dealer is less money.

That's doing potential buyers that don't know better a favor. If the seller just didn't know any better, and the reply is done nicely, then it just lets them know that they need to adjust the price. If the seller DID know better (which I think happens often actually), then the reply just helps potential newbies here not get bitten by a seller that was trying to cheat them.

Whats wrong with keeping your nose out of other folks business?

Because we try to HELP people here! Knowingly letting some seller rip off some newbie is just not right. It has little to do with "minding your own business". If someone is trying to screw over newbies to geocaching, then ignoring sellers trying to rip them off is just rude and wrong, IMO.

- John...

Ah -- but you've manipulated the situation. Yes, if the price is "a bit high", then staying out of it makes sense. But what about when the price is quite a bit high? I mean, I'ev commonly seen someone selling used equipment that could easily be bought BRAND NEW from a reputable dealer online for less money. In those cases, it is NOT the same thing as "any other type of forum flame" to let people know that the thing brand-new from a good dealer is less money.

That's doing potential buyers that don't know better a favor. If the seller just didn't know any better, and the reply is done nicely, then it just lets them know that they need to adjust the price. If the seller DID know better (which I think happens often actually), then the reply just helps potential newbies here not get bitten by a seller that was trying to cheat them.

Whats wrong with keeping your nose out of other folks business?

Because we try to HELP people here! Knowingly letting some seller rip off some newbie is just not right. It has little to do with "minding your own business". If someone is trying to screw over newbies to geocaching, then ignoring sellers trying to rip them off is just rude and wrong, IMO.

- John...

Your argument makes some assumptions that perhaps you don't realize. Primarily, you're assuming that every potential buyer has a credit card to facilitate an online payment, or is willing to use a credit card online. Many folks fall into these 2 categories.

The VAST majority of online stores only accept credit cards for payments, no checks or money orders accepted. which makes it impossible for them to order online. Heres a typical example.

The explorist 600 can be found online for as little as $258.00, or it can be purchased locally at a sporting goods store for around $400.00.

If someone here were to offer their like new explorist 600 for sale at $325.00, using your logic...it's a ripoff artist at work. To the buyer faced with only the local option ($400.00) or the garage sale option ($325.00), please explain how you are doing them a "big brother" favor by calling it a ripoff??

Your argument makes some assumptions that perhaps you don't realize. Primarily, you're assuming that every potential buyer has a credit card to facilitate an online payment, or is willing to use a credit card online. Many folks fall into these 2 categories.

So you're arguing that it is acceptable for people to greatly overcharge people that are unable or unwilling to use a credit card online? THAT'S your argument?? How is that acceptable?

Sorry, but I still disagree. If someone here is SLIGHTLY overcharging, then fine -- as I said. But if someone here is obviously WAY overcharging -- such as charging more for their used equipment than someone could buy it new, then I think it great that someone here is willing to call them on that. I don't think that they should try to greatly overcharge newbies -- or people without credit cards available.

The explorist 600 can be found online for as little as $258.00, or it can be purchased locally at a sporting goods store for around $400.00.

If someone here were to offer their like new explorist 600 for sale at $325.00, using your logic...it's a ripoff artist at work. To the buyer faced with only the local option ($400.00) or the garage sale option ($325.00), please explain how you are doing them a "big brother" favor by calling it a ripoff??

Because it still is a ripoff. Sorry, but I just don't buy the "The seller was really doing those poor folks without a credit card a favor" argument. Because I don't believe that any seller over-charging like that really had that in mind. I simply don't believe that the seller in that case thought that he was doing anyone a favor.

Plus, if that really IS the case and what the seller intended -- then calling them on it doesn't hurt them, does it? I mean, if someone posts that you can get that eXplorist for $258 online -- and the seller responds that they are trying to do a favor for those that can't order online because they don't have a credit card -- then how has that response hurt the seller or a potential buyer if that buyer really is in that "I can't order online and can only get it for $400 locally" situation? They are still free to buy from that seller -- it shouldn't be "wrong" to inform them that they can still get it much cheaper online IF they have a credit card to use.

So, even in your weird situations that I seriously doubt ever occurs, I STILL think it better that someone reply and give the much better online price. The seller can then say "Yes, but offline you can't get it for under $400, so I'm just trying to help out that guy without a credit card" -- and everything is fine again!

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle

All i'm saying is there are plenty of cases where a seller wants to get a premium price (still below retail) for his goods, and there are buyers that feel it's still a bargain under their circumstance.

Calling the seller a ripoff artist, or the buyer "poor folk without a credit card" isn't doing anyone a favor.

I never said or implied that such a seller had any intent of doing anyone a favor. They may have paid the $400 locally and want to recoup as much as possible.

I personally know a number of people that are either unwilling to use their CC online, or don't have one to use if they wanted to. Who are you to interfere and say they are being "ripped off" by utilitizing their own judgement...especially if you are not a party to the sale.

All i'm saying is there are plenty of cases where a seller wants to get a premium price (still below retail) for his goods, and there are buyers that feel it's still a bargain under their circumstance.

And all I'm saying is that in situations where a buyer's price for used goods is significantly higher than a person can get it for brand-new, then anyone that thinks it is "still a bargain" is either ill-informed or in very weird "circumstances." And, if it really is that odd circumstance, then telling them that they can get the same thing online brand new for cheaper doesn't really hurt anyone.

Calling the seller a ripoff artist,

Note that I never said to call them that. What I said to do was to POLITELY point out that the price may be high if they can buy the same thing new online for cheaper.

I never said or implied that such a seller had any intent of doing anyone a favor. They may have paid the $400 locally and want to recoup as much as possible.

Again, I disagree that because they got ripped off that they deserve to try to rip someone else off to recoup their mistake. If they paid $400 locally, but it is available for ~$240 online, then I disagree that no one should be allowed to say anything when they ask $325 for it.

I personally know a number of people that are either unwilling to use their CC online, or don't have one to use if they wanted to. Who are you to interfere and say they are being "ripped off" by utilitizing their own judgement...especially if you are not a party to the sale.

Again, read what I said before. First, I would not say that they were ripping anyone off -- I would just say that they could get it much cheaper online. Second, as I said, me telling that person about the cheaper online price should NOT INTERFERE with anything! If they really can't buy it online, then giving them the knowledge of what it WOULD cost if they could use a credit card shouldn't be a problem! Providing more information to help a buyer shouldn't be disallowed. If they are really in that situation, then they are still quite able to buy it from the seller here with a money order. How does telling them what it goes for for most people able to use a credit card online harmful to anyone except a seller that was purposely over-charging?

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle

pure and simple guys, it's a garage, and if the seller is selling a used or open gps, its not now in the manufacturers eye "new" it could be as good as new, new in box, never been used, flawless, not a scratch on it and i would have to honestly say if it is 2 weeks old, it still has lost about 35% of its value minimum. and accessories was mostly lose prob'ly 75% of the value.

The garage sale forum is an odd place of business for people wanting 'closed doors' don't you think?

Anyone can read the forum, and everyone with an account can post to open threads here. I figure dealing in a public forum is not quite the same as ebay etc, but its the place the seller has choosen ;)

I favor using PM's to discuss a sale or to make offers, etc..... keeps things more courteous and less likely to be construed as "flaming" another member of the forum. Any time I engage in the discussion of a sale (as a potential buyer or as a seller), I go straight for the PM button.

If a seller's price for a listed item is too high, people will probably not buy it (unless they want to pay that price). Every potential seller has a choice regarding what price to assign an item for sale.

If a seller's price for a listed item is too high, people will probably not buy it (unless they want to pay that price).

I disagree. We very, very commonly see newbies in here shopping that really have no idea what something is worth and what it would cost them new. They incorrectly assume that they can't get it cheaper NEW than from someone selling here.

The idea that overpriced items won't sell here is just incorrect. We've seen it happen many times in the past actually. My main reason for wanting people to say something when something is grossly overpriced is to help those newbies.

Every potential seller has a choice regarding what price to assign an item for sale.

Yes, absolutely. But, as fellow forum members, we have the ability to point out when they've chosen to assign a price on an item that they have for sale that is simply above what seems reasonable -- especially in the example situation where the sale price for used equipment is higher than the sale price for the same thing brand new from a reputable dealer.

- John...

The garage sale forum is an odd place of business for people wanting 'closed doors' don't you think?

Anyone can read the forum, and everyone with an account can post to open threads here. I figure dealing in a public forum is not quite the same as ebay etc, but its the place the seller has choosen <_<

I have sold a couple of GPSR's here with positive results. I do not want the mess of ebay, I have to give you a credit card and all the other fluff - not me. Much less hassle here. I post MY PRICE (or no price at all) and that is my decision and NOT YOURS, if you don't like my price and have no intention on making an offer mind your own business. Someone was nice enough to post a link (to their site) for the same model GPS at get this a entire $10 cheaper than I posted. Gee thanks for all your help - it's like you just said that my price stinks and oh here is the one that I sell for $10 less (well $20 for shipping ect).

I do not feel that a noob is going to come here to look for a GPS, they will do just like you and me and go the the google god and see what it pukes out.

You post a link of publicly tell me my price is wrong, it's like an ego thing for you - look how smart I am and see how dumb you are. Stay out of my sale if you have no intentions of making a deal with me regardless of what you think.

What has not been adequately considered here is the concept of courtesy. This has nothing to do with closed doors, open doors, back doors, protecting those presumed to be unaware of what a "fair" price is, etc. I neglected to mention (because I thought it would go without saying, but ultimately did not) in my previous post that I would never approach two people making a face-to-face deal on something (i.e., hamfest flea market, car showroom, etc.) and offer my feelings. The deal between those people is strictly between them and they do not need me to ride in on a white horse to rescuse somebody from spending money. The free market works and people make the deals they want to make. If I chose to offer for sale a used item for twice its new retail price, that is certainly my choice. Part of that choice is realizing that nobody would pay such a high price, but (again) that is the choice I may either alter or live with.

An example of this is when my wife and I bought two Jeeps from a dealer who offered us a really good deal. I am certain there are those who would say they got a better deal on their Jeeps, but that does not interest me..... what I care about is my deal. The same goes for when we bought a house last year. Sure, there were cheaper houses out there, but those were not what we chose to buy - we made a decision and bought based upon our needs and desires within a budget, and are happy with that decision. Had somebody come along and attempted to interfere with the process on the Jeep or house deals, I would say they were rude, just as would be somebody who interrupts a conversation to draw attention to themselves. I would certainly not be grateful for their attempt at 'rescuing' me from my own lesser intellect.

Many internet forums do not allow posts which publicly criticize a seller's asking price, mostly because to allow such behavior often (unfortunately) invites trolling, and that is something this forum does not need. I doubt that members of the Internet Rescue Squad would pull such a stunt in person. <_<

An example of this is when my wife and I bought two Jeeps from a dealer who offered us a really good deal. I am certain there are those who would say they got a better deal on their Jeeps, but that does not interest me..... [...] Had somebody come along and attempted to interfere with the process on the Jeep or house deals, I would say they were rude, just as would be somebody who interrupts a conversation to draw attention to themselves. I would certainly not be grateful for their attempt at 'rescuing' me from my own lesser intellect.

Well, you are different than me. I know little about Jeeps. If I was on a dealer lot looking at a USED Jeep -- and the guy next to me (who happens to own 4 different Jeeps, including this same model, and therefore knows a ton about them) said "Hey, just so you know, you can buy that same exact Jeep brand new from the Jeep place down the street and get it with the full warranty and everything", then I would thank him for the information since I know so little about the going rate of Jeeps these days.

I think it odd that you would not be grateful for that. I guess you'd rather THINK that you got a deal even if you got ripped off than to know the truth? Is that it? Because, otherwise, I don't see how you would think that the guy telling you about a better deal would be "rude" or just trying to attract attention to themselves.

But, if you feel that way -- that is fine. I just don't think that everyone feels that way. And I know that I don't feel that way. If I am buying something that I don't know enough about to know that the price I'm considering from some used guy is a really bad deal, then I certainly would be grateful for some guy that gives me some information about it -- especially when he has no ulterior motives -- which is what I'm talking about when someone does it here in this forum.

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle

Caveat Emptor !!

To save those as stupid as me from having to Google it, it is a Latin phrase meaning "Let the buyer beware."

This forum is starting to turn ugly. Ugly because it supports my idea that most people are self oriented and don't care much for their fellow man. I'm not feelin' the love here!

As a friend I'd not let you get ripped off blind. I'd let you know that I think you are headed for a bad deal. Tell you why, and then if you still want to...that's your call.

It's not any different when it changes from a friend to a neighbor.

We all have the right to charge a million bucks for our golden apples. But we don't have the right to expect that it won't be talked about. If discression is in order, I don't think they would be using the forums.

....An example of this is when my wife and I bought two Jeeps from a dealer who offered us a really good deal. I am certain there are those who would say they got a better deal on their Jeeps, but that does not interest me..... what I care about is my deal. The same goes for when we bought a house last year. Sure, there were cheaper houses out there, but those were not what we chose to buy - we made a decision and bought based upon our needs and desires within a budget, and are happy with that decision. Had somebody come along and attempted to interfere with the process on the Jeep or house deals, I would say they were rude, just as would be somebody who interrupts a conversation to draw attention to themselves. I would certainly not be grateful for their attempt at 'rescuing' me from my own lesser intellect....

When the time came to buy the jeep, you likely talked to the folks who's opinion you wanted and got their feedback. You used discression and you used a format that allowed you to keep your transaction private within certain bounds. I doubt you discussed price and features in this forum. Had you used a forum, you would have got more feedback, some good, some bad, some just drivel. Excatly like you would expect, and exatly like you would have invited by using the forum. Though you may wish that forum participants act differently, they are what they are. The mixed bag is just a fact of forum life.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Anyone can read the forum, and everyone with an account can post to open threads here. I figure dealing in a public forum is not quite the same as ebay etc, but its the place the seller has choosen <_<

I have sold a couple of GPSR's here with positive results. I do not want the mess of ebay, I have to give you a credit card and all the other fluff - not me. Much less hassle here. I post MY PRICE (or no price at all) and that is my decision and NOT YOURS, if you don't like my price and have no intention on making an offer mind your own business. Someone was nice enough to post a link (to their site) for the same model GPS at get this a entire $10 cheaper than I posted. Gee thanks for all your help - it's like you just said that my price stinks and oh here is the one that I sell for $10 less (well $20 for shipping ect).

I do not feel that a noob is going to come here to look for a GPS, they will do just like you and me and go the the google god and see what it pukes out.

You post a link of publicly tell me my price is wrong, it's like an ego thing for you - look how smart I am and see how dumb you are. Stay out of my sale if you have no intentions of making a deal with me regardless of what you think.

If you don't want me in your business, then don't post it in public places I can see and comment. If you choose to post here (and thank you for doing so) you should expect that many will see it and some will comment, and maybe one will buy it. If you think 'this can be found cheaper at XX' is like saying 'you stink' then maybe you shouldn't post here, because that could verywell happen.

I don't really know where noobs will shop, nor do I personally care. I just don't get why people get upset when someone comments in an OPEN FORUM about something they don't agree with. Thats what happens in forums... :blink:

LOL, how could it be an ego thing if we all used google to find the best price already?? :blink:

...If you're not honestly interested in buying the item and think the price is a bit high, blasting the price is not much different than any other type of forum flame. ... What's wrong with keeping your nose out of other folks business?
We have a difference of opinion here.

If someone posts "Almost new widget, $100 plus shipping" and I say "Um, that widget is available at such-and-such place, brand new, for $60 delivered" I don't think I've done anything wrong (at least as long as I can back up what I've said).

It doesn't matter if it's an item I'm interested in (though it usually is, if I bother to make any comment). And I wouldn't expect anyone to consider it a flame. I'm simply sharing information in a public forum.

The garage sale forum is just that, a place of business.
This analogy is a bit weak, because this is a public forum hosted (paid for) by someone other than the sellers.

If I'm at Honest John's Pawn Shop - I wouldn't bother to dicker on any items I wasn't interested in purchasing. He's paying the light bill and the rent, that much is his business. Any sale/deal is entirely between Honest John and his buyer, not my business unless I'M the buyer.

But we're all HERE courtesy of Jeremy &c. And this is more like an open flea market than a storefront.

Haggling, quibbles, kibitzing on other people's deals, all happen in every flea market I've ever seen - real and virtual. Sure, sometimes a flea-market vendor WILL ask some kibitzer to go away, but that's just poor sportsmanship.

AND... as others have pointed out, a lot of the members here like to help other members. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

I know this has been thrashed out ad-nauseum, and maybe I didn't need to go over it. But I wanted to sum up my view in a few short paragraphs. I do understand your opinion, I just don't agree with you.

Edited by lee_rimar

I think it's only right to point out to God And The World if someone is listing an item that is either mis-represented, overpriced, or both.

Example, on one occasion I had to sell some front row concert tickets due to a schedule conflict. My listing was basically, "Front Row seats, face value is X, starting price is X, good luck!" Another listing, for the same concert, was listed as, "BEST SEATS IN THE HOUSE! GRAB THESE NOW!" These latter tickets were toward the back of the arena and, in no scenario possible, were they anywhere close to being the "best seats." From my consumer's perspective, I emailed the seller and told her that she's misrepresenting her product and that she should simply list them for what they were: Here's the location, here's the opening price, anyone interested? In other words, sell them on their own merit, not some hyped up sales pitch. She emailed me back telling me to mind my own business and said that I was "hateful." I told her that she was vastly misrepresenting her product and never heard back from her.

This example may be pretty cut and dried but it illustrates my point.

When the time came to buy the jeep, you likely talked to the folks who's opinion you wanted and got their feedback. You used discression and you used a format that allowed you to keep your transaction private within certain bounds. I doubt you discussed price and features in this forum. Had you used a forum, you would have got more feedback, some good, some bad, some just drivel. Excatly like you would expect, and exatly like you would have invited by using the forum. Though you may wish that forum participants act differently, they are what they are. The mixed bag is just a fact of forum life.

When the time came to buy the Jeep, I did a great deal of extensive research on my own and made the decision based upon my research (I have never been a fan of the Consumer Reports type of opinions, regardless of the media used). If somebody had come along and impolitely interrupted while I was discussing the impending deal with the sales rep, I would have very politely advised the person to wait his turn and he could speak with me or the rep after I am finished. By the way, some of my research was done in a couple of Jeep forums, but, because it was a newly redesigned model, I had to use the "IBM" It's Better Manually method, and nobody died from it. ;) I have no wishes regarding how a forum's members act, but I sincerely believe that courteous behavior should always be a primary protocol.

My point is not that dissent should be stifled, just that it remain within the highest standards of courtesy.

By the way, in the Jeep forums where I did a bit of research, responses in a For Sale forum that publicly "disagree" with a posted price are deleted because approximately 90% of such posts are from members who are trolling (Gawd, I hope we never see that here!). All discussion related to online deals are encouraged to be taken to telephone, e-mail, and/or PM. If a person is posting clearly fraudulent information in a For Sale forum, that member is usually perma-banned.

When the time came to buy the Jeep, I did a great deal of extensive research on my own and made the decision based upon my research (I have never been a fan of the Consumer Reports type of opinions, regardless of the media used). If somebody had come along and impolitely interrupted while I was discussing the impending deal with the sales rep, I would have very politely advised the person to wait his turn and he could speak with me or the rep after I am finished. By the way, some of my research was done in a couple of Jeep forums, but, because it was a newly redesigned model, I had to use the "IBM" It's Better Manually method, and nobody died from it. :o

True -- and this is a Geocaching site -- where many people new to GPSrs may visit before they make their first purchase. Therefore, it makes sense to help them as they gather that information -- or help to warn them before they make a quick decision to buy something that is a bad deal.

I have no wishes regarding how a forum's members act, but I sincerely believe that courteous behavior should always be a primary protocol.

And I agree with that completely. We just disagree on whether or not "courteous behavior" includes helping warn the BUYER. You seem to equate someone trying to help someone else out by warning them about a bad deal to your example of "impolitely interrupting" at the Jeep dealership. I disagree that stating that someone here has a price on their used item higher than is readily available for the same item brand new is the same thing as "impolitely interrupting" someone talking to a dealership.

My point is not that dissent should be stifled, just that it remain within the highest standards of courtesy.

Also agreed -- several people have said that they would do it politely. Unfortunately, even when they do -- many sellers still freak out.

By the way, in the Jeep forums where I did a bit of research, responses in a For Sale forum that publicly "disagree" with a posted price are deleted because approximately 90% of such posts are from members who are trolling (Gawd, I hope we never see that here!). All discussion related to online deals are encouraged to be taken to telephone, e-mail, and/or PM. If a person is posting clearly fraudulent information in a For Sale forum, that member is usually perma-banned.

I think that used car buying is a bit different though. Value is much harder to determine -- it can vary greatly between the same car. So, telling someone else that the price is too high is a bit different in that situation. Also, very rarely are you going to see such an obvious bad deal that the seller is trying to sell their used Jeep for more money than the exact same year and model new one. So, in THAT FORUM, I might argue that deleting those posts that disagree with the price makes much more sense. But, I think it a bad analogy to try to relate that to here and suggest that the same thing be considered. It is significantly different, IMO.

- John...

I am glad that you called someone out publicly about the price. I am new to geocaching and purchased a new GPS. What I got is OK for a beginner or even somebody who does not have more to spend. However, I am finding out now that for about $75 more I could have gotten one that would allow me to download the caches. The store attendent was just about useless. Now that I have a few weeks and numerous caches under my belt I am finding that we have already outgrown our new GPS. I thought the 'garage sale' list was wonderful. I was even thinking about buying from a person who had listed a new GPS that was bought in error. I thought I was getting a good deal until he was called out. I cannot say thanks enough. Now I think I should try to meet with some other more experienced cachers and see what they are using and how it works so I can decide which GPS will work for our family. I will still look for a good deal, but will investigate much further.

I think it is perfectly fine to let someone know about prices.. as long as it is done in a tactful manner. Sometimes it is just the way people "say" things on the boards. It is hard to be able to know how to take things without the voice inflections and pauses. I say just think about the way to say it, then you should send a PM. If the cacher is a "real" cacher then they will act accordingly. If they don't you can take it from there. They at least need one chance to make it right before you "out" them. Sometimes noobs don't know, and here on the forums they can do their research with real people who have a little more experience. We sure don't want to scare off any future cachers by stating something that could easily be misconstrued. do we?????

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

...you should send a PM ... a "real" cacher then they will act accordingly. If they don't you can take it from there.
Ah, but in the time you allot for them to "act accordingly," they might snare a sucker.

Most recently, I've taken to responding (publicly) along the lines of "Um, have you checked the current pricing on that model?" If they don't take the hint, a follow-up message might include current spot pricing and links to a vendor selling the same product.

Sometimes noobs don't know, and here on the forums they can do their research with real people who have a little more experience. We sure don't want to scare off any future cachers by stating something that could easily be misconstrued. do we?
Not usually :) Though some people enjoy a spirited round of "smack the noob" once in a while, I don't.

Bear in mind the noobs may be either buyers OR sellers in the garage sale forum. The heckler (er, haggler) is just as likely helping one while annoying another.

I appreciate it when I read threads where people like yourself have spoken up and said the asking price is too high. This is because I'm ignorant and I don't know what a fair price for a used particular model should be. I could google it and I could look in ebay for used items to get an idea of asking prices. But this forum is another tool to get an idea for that. Right now I'm looking into upgrading my crappy Etrex to maybe a nice 60c or 60cs. I'm reading the old threads where people bought and sold those ones to get ideas of which one is best and what is a good price for the GPS or a package wtih teh GPS and some of the goodies (cable, mount, case, software). I like that people such as yourself speak up.

Now if I were selling an item and someone called me on it, I might not be so agreeable. But if I decided it seemed I wouldn't get the price I was asking, I could try ebay or another outlet. Or I could lower my price on my thread. I would still have options.