Decoys

Aberwak

Last month, I took a small geocaching trip a few hours from my city. While out, I thought it'd be fun to do a 5-part multi-cache. The last time I was in the area, I didn't have time for it. I made sure I did today. It took a while, but I made it to the fourth stage. Then I saw a laminated piece of paper with the name of the cache and "4th stage," but with no lat/long to the last stage. I looked around, thinking the lat/long clue might have fallen off. No luck finding it. It was MIA.

That's what I thought, anyway. In a recent log, someone found it and said they realized it was a decoy. :unsure: The real lat/long clue was on a different tree nearby. There weren't any clues whatsoever to indicate this multi-cache might have been a decoy. I probably wouldn't be so mad if there was some sort of hint about a decoy, especially since I was visiting the area and had already devoted a good amount of time to the multi-cache (I was on the 4th leg of this cache and almost done).

What are everyone's thoughts about decoys set up and when do you think they should be used (if at all)?

Being new to the game, I was unaware that decoys were even done! Is this a normal practice?

If so, it will definitely throw some kinks in our hunts. Like you, we don't always have a lot of free time so we plan multi-caches for large blocks of time we have together. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted.

In my area, where there are probably ~150 caches, only 2-3 have involved purposeful decoys... so they don't seem to be very common. A lot of caches have unintentional decoys (trash, mostly). Of the few that do use decoys, it's mentioned in the description or hints. One specifically says in the hints, "You'll know you're getting to the area when you start seeing decoys."

are decoys even legal to this game?

Legal?? :unsure:, Game??, :( To answer your question, Yes. And if it's a game, what's the score, and if their's a score, what are the goals of the "game"? Legal and game are new words to me that I've never heard of since I started Geocaching three years ago. It's a hobby, a recreational activity. I havn't checked your profile, but if you consider it a game, and are new to Geocaching, you've already started off on the wrong path my friend. Don't get me wrong, there are times when competitions and or events are put together for "sport", but 99% of the time it's all for fun, adventure and finding out new things and places about the same town you grew up in your whole life, that you never knew existed. Trust me on this. If you have any questions please e-mail me through my profile bro.

Edited by JEEOCASHER

Keruso,

Per Wikipedia: "A game is a structured or semi-structured recreational activity, usually undertaken for enjoyment (although sometimes for physical or vocational training). A goal that the players try to reach and a set of rules concerning what the players can or cannot do create the challenge and structure in a game, and are thus central to its definition."

This is a great GAME and a Hobby. I look at it as such. We have written and unwritten rules, we have clubs, we have fellowship and we have friendly competitions. It is for adventure and finding new places. It is all of this and more. It's whatever you make it and I wish you the best of luck in it!

The rules I follow are the ones posted by Groundspeak.

The goals I have are to get off the couch, meet new people and see new things.

The belief I have is that this is a GAME and a HOBBY.

My opinions are just that, mine. I hope this sport / game / hobby / recreational activity continues to be what you want it to be.

So far I've only encountered one cache that had deliberate decoys. Basically as I approached the coords for the final, I spotted the good old "suspicious pile of sticks" against the base of a tree. Whoo hoo! Zipped on over, and behind the sticks was ... nothing. Hmmm... Looked up, and there, a short distance away, was another "suspicious pile of sticks" against the base of another tree. Hey-hey, good to go! Quick-stepped over, and behind the sticks was ... nothing! Hmmm.... Started turning around, and saw several more trees, each with a nice neat "suspicious pile of sticks" at their base. Frankly, I just started laughing at that point, and took a fresh look around. Soon found the cache, hidden in a rather different (still traditional, but more subtle) manner in the same area.

Would I want to find decoys on every single cache I did? Heck no. But encountering a decoy setup every now and then, especially something so tongue-in-cheek, would continue to tickle my geocaching funny-bone. :laughing:

We've never found an unlabled decoy, but there are a couple very fun local caches that use them.

The first, very near the posted coordinates is an out of place pile of small rocks. They hide a small decon container which when opened has the message, "This is not the the cache GCxxxx, but thanks for looking." There's a second decoy that just says "You're getting warm."

There's puzzle cache that has more than one part to it, the easier part to find is labelled, "This is not the cache, but you can see it from here."

In both cases you get that, "Aha, the cache" which quickly turns to "drat...grumble...sneaky hider...." which eventually leads to the , "AHA, you can't outsmart me! I'm a Geocacher." In other words, when done like we have encountered them, we like 'em. :laughing:

Hey bud, didn't mean to come off so harsh, I apologize if it was taken that way. It's just that I had never heard of Geocaching referred to as a game. But obviously it seems that many others have, sooo, I put myself in the corner for a bit. Sorry again, and cache on.

bah, don't worry, no harm done

One of the best local caches here in East Anglia has a running theme of things not being where you expect. It is a multicache and at each stage there are at least a couple of obvious places (large hollow tree, wood pile, ..) but at each case cache isn't what/where you expect it to be. The first couple of stages can be very frustrating, and there are several DNFs, but once you get into it it is enormous fun. And its name ... well try tracking down GCQD3Y :laughing: :laughing:

I placed an un-decoy cache not too long ago...

The coordinates take the cacher to a cool spot with plenty of hiding spots, and there are 4 containers hidden within the error circle...geocachers are asked to include a code word found on the lid of "the" cache in their log, which lets me know which container they found.

Many finders find one, only 1 has found all 4 containers...

Jamie - NFA

One of my favorite caches is its own decoy. It's an empty ammo can with the words, "Keep Looking" stenciled on the bottom. I kept looking everywhere else for what seemed like a zillion trips and almost as many posted DNFs before I realized where the log book was -- under the magnetic strip that had the stenciled words on it. It was one of the first caches we attempted and as a newbie I had no idea something like that could be done. It was only after reading about magnetic stripping uses in the clever cache containers thread that I started wondering about it and finally figured it out.

Then there was the one that had 7 or 8 magnetic keyholders under a lampost but only one had the log.

The only other time I've encountered a decoy so far was one that was mentioned in the clue. It read something along the lines of "near what is not part one." It had a piece of paper inside saying "this is not part one."

I love decoys -- they're aggravating, but in a fun, good way. They can make it exhilirating when you actually find it.

I've only encountered one cache with a decoy. It was a small jar under a pile of sticks (very obvious). Found it opened it up and it said something about it not being that easy and the real cache was within spitting distance. It turns out that a very slightly out of place log was jingley. The log was split in half and placed back together with a strong magnet. I thought it was a very nice hide. It should always state on the page or in the decoy cache that there is a decoy involved. Anyone could take a 100 film canisters into the woods and hide them all around one tree with only one log book in one container but what fun is that. To many decoy's or confusing decoys could easily ruin a trip. I love finding caches and when I travel 50 miles for a DNF its just not fun anymore. Swizzle

So far I've only encountered one cache that had deliberate decoys. Basically as I approached the coords for the final, I spotted the good old "suspicious pile of sticks" against the base of a tree. Whoo hoo! Zipped on over, and behind the sticks was ... nothing. Hmmm... Looked up, and there, a short distance away, was another "suspicious pile of sticks" against the base of another tree. Hey-hey, good to go! Quick-stepped over, and behind the sticks was ... nothing! Hmmm.... Started turning around, and saw several more trees, each with a nice neat "suspicious pile of sticks" at their base. Frankly, I just started laughing at that point, and took a fresh look around. Soon found the cache, hidden in a rather different (still traditional, but more subtle) manner in the same area.

Would I want to find decoys on every single cache I did? Heck no. But encountering a decoy setup every now and then, especially something so tongue-in-cheek, would continue to tickle my geocaching funny-bone. :wub:

Gee, that wasn't mine was it? :D I routinely make piles of sticks near my caches. It is an obsession of some sort. Stems from my childhood when Granny would sing 5-6 pick up sticks, 7-8 lay them straight. Granny would have been a good geocacher.

We've never found an unlabled decoy, but there are a couple very fun local caches that use them.

The first, very near the posted coordinates is an out of place pile of small rocks. They hide a small decon container which when opened has the message, "This is not the the cache GCxxxx, but thanks for looking." There's a second decoy that just says "You're getting warm."

There's puzzle cache that has more than one part to it, the easier part to find is labelled, "This is not the cache, but you can see it from here."

In both cases you get that, "Aha, the cache" which quickly turns to "drat...grumble...sneaky hider...." which eventually leads to the , "AHA, you can't outsmart me! I'm a Geocacher." In other words, when done like we have encountered them, we like 'em. :D

I have used decoys in different ways and think it adds to the difficulty of the cache. I don't always let on that there are decoys until you find one. HOWEVER, I do let you know in the decoy container that it is a decoy. One of my multi caches uses decoys at many stages. One of the actual stage containers has been mistaken as a decoy many times. :D

Loch Cache

I once hid a multi cache (now archived) near a Corp of Engineers dam. In the listing I emphasised that the Corp had gone to a great deal of trouble to build their enormous URP and I stated that the Cache would not be found in, on, under, or around any rocks. I warned that the Corp would be very angry if any of thier rocks were disturbed and that there could be dire consequences if my instructions were not heeded.

Stage 2 was hidden in the hollow of a tree a couple of hundred feet from the actual dam. At the base of the tree I built a small URP and put a decoy cache in it. Upon opening the decoy, the cacher would find a note chastising them severely for disregarding the warnings. I also pointed out the nearby spring "caused" by a previous cacher that had carelessly removed one of the Corps rocks! I then gave detailed instructions on how to put everything back the way they had found it.

The first finders stopped by my house on their way home and asked if the spring was really caused by a careless Geocacher! :rolleyes: Obvioulsly they'd read my decoy note. GOTCHA!!

I recently found a cache that had a very obvious pile of sticks near it (yes, I fell for it). I see no problem with this type of decoy, as long as there is no container that someone could think was a muggled cache. If there is a container, it should be noted in the cache page, to preclude misunderstandings.

One of my favorite caches is its own decoy. It's an empty ammo can with the words, "Keep Looking" stenciled on the bottom. I kept looking everywhere else for what seemed like a zillion trips and almost as many posted DNFs before I realized where the log book was -- under the magnetic strip that had the stenciled words on it.

I can see a variation of this one in the near future coming to a cache near me in the near futrue. He He He. This is plain evil. I gotta do this. :lol:

One of my caches has the "Geo-pile" of sticks at the base of a tree. The cachers lock onto that pile walking up and then when they find nothing under it they look and look and look, on the ground. The whole time the cache is right over their head. LOL

Another one of mine is close to a lamp post. When they pick up the cover they find lamintaed cards thatr say "Nope, it's not under here. Keep looking"

On another one I hollowed out a tree stump and carried it into the woods. The cache is under it but they always find that geo-pile next to it first.

I have a new cemetary multi cache that ends over the other side of town at what, I suppose, you could call a decoy. You end up on a walking path, standing about ten feet from a sculpture with a few hidey holes. The cache is actually right behind you, in a hole in a rock on the ground. The one and only person to have completed this cache fell for the obvious, and searched the sculpture, then checked their GPS to find they were not searching the correct place. This was intentional, and I think publishing this on the cache page would detract from the challenge of finding this cache.

Would I want to find decoys on every single cache I did? Heck no. But encountering a decoy setup every now and then, especially something so tongue-in-cheek, would continue to tickle my geocaching funny-bone. :anitongue:

I agree with Munin. <_<

Nebraska has MANY caches (and getting more and more) that employ decoys, most (if not all) of the decoys are clearly and usually cleverly labeled once you find the decoy canisters. There are a few caches that the decoy is the main point to the cache, and then there are some that throw you off once you arrive, but I'm pretty sure in all cases that the deocoy containers are marked in some way (usually a clever little note on the inside). Just thought we'd throw that in...so, at least in Nebraska, decoys are actually fairly commonplace!