Abstract Public Sculpture Up For Peer Review

Hi everyone,

The category "Abstract Public Sculpture" is up for peer review and I'd really appreciate your votes and any comments that you might have. Thanks!

Hikenutty

Following are the category details:

Quick Description:

Incredible sculpture abounds for the public's viewing pleasure, IF they can find it. This category is dedicated to locating these sometime hidden treasures and Waymarking them for all to see and enjoy.

Detailed Description:

You are looking for public sculpture that is either a purely abstract form, or an abstracted representation of a form (for example - a giant hand made of thin twisted wire). The work must be located in an area that is open to the public and free of charge.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

To place a waymark you must upload a picture of the sculpture without you or your gps in it. Please note the specific location (such as "Springfield Public Park), the city/town that the piece is located in, the media (materials) used in the sculpture, and of course the coordinates of the artwork. Other optional variables are the title of the piece, artist name, date, and any other information that would help us to better understand the piece.

Instructions for logging visits to waymarks in this category:

To log a visit to a waymark upload your own phote of the sculpture to show us that you were there.

Looks good to me. There's a sculpture park nearby, I'll have to post my favorite abstract piece once this group gets approved.....and I just thought of another favorite piece that I like that is in an unexpected spot. I definitely would like to see APS aproved.

We think this would be an excellent new category. We enjoy visiting outdoor abstract sculptures very much.

We noticed that you have listed "materials used" as required in the log, but the artist name, name of the sculpture, and date of the piece as optional. We would suggest you make the artist name, name of the sculpture, and date of the piece as required. Most outdoor sculptures have plaques with this information on them, and we find this information to be integral to the artwork itself. In many cases, people will have to guess at the materials used, as this is often not listed.

Also, we were wondering why you specified that the picture of the sculpture be without a person or a GPS? We thought it would be just the opposite, so you know the person was really there!

We're geocachers who are new to Waymarking. This was one of the first categories we thought of, and when we went to look for it in the directory, we were very surprised it was not already there!

Thanks,

TimberToo

We think this would be an excellent new category. We enjoy visiting outdoor abstract sculptures very much.

We noticed that you have listed "materials used" as required in the log, but the artist name, name of the sculpture, and date of the piece as optional. We would suggest you make the artist name, name of the sculpture, and date of the piece as required. Most outdoor sculptures have plaques with this information on them, and we find this information to be integral to the artwork itself. In many cases, people will have to guess at the materials used, as this is often not listed.

Also, we were wondering why you specified that the picture of the sculpture be without a person or a GPS? We thought it would be just the opposite, so you know the person was really there!

We're geocachers who are new to Waymarking. This was one of the first categories we thought of, and when we went to look for it in the directory, we were very surprised it was not already there!

Thanks,

TimberToo

I think the way he has it listed is correct. Many abstract art pieces don't have plaques and if they do they may not list all the information, thus it is good that they are listed as optional. The material is usually evident by looking, even if the material is entered is a more generic term like metal. If all the items were listed as required then many pieces could not be entered without entering something like "unknown", if there the plaque were missing or incomplete.

Having the GPS or person in the picture distracts from the art. Nothing looks worse than a GPS taking up half the picture. On most categories GPS pictures are discouraged for submitting the waymark. It is not about proof of being there when submitting the waymark, it is about "selling" the waymark, the gps in the picture does nothing to "sell" it. For the categories I manage, I will not normally accept pictures with GPS in them when the waymark is submitted. For logging the waymark GPS pictures are acceptable and often required.

Edited by BruceS

I think the way he has it listed is correct. Many abstract art pieces don't have plaques and if they do they may not list all the information, thus it is good that they are listed as optional. The material is usually evident by looking, even if the material is entered is a more generic term like metal. If all the items were listed as required then many pieces could not be entered without entering something like "unknown", if there the plaque were missing or incomplete.

Having the GPS or person in the picture distracts from the art. Nothing looks worse than a GPS taking up half the picture. On most categories GPS pictures are discouraged for submitting the waymark. It is not about proof of being there when submitting the waymark, it is about "selling" the waymark, the gps in the picture does nothing to "sell" it. For the categories I manage, I will not normally accept pictures with GPS in them when the waymark is submitted. For logging the waymark GPS pictures are acceptable and often required.

Agree with both! Requiring info that may or may not be easily available will discourage waymarks. Keep it simple.

The whole idea of GPSr included photos is by the boards as far as I am concerned. Maybe it is a hang over from virtual/locationless caches. Waymarking is different. Maybe, but only maybe, it can be allowed for logged visits, but it seems to me there has to be a better way.