Garmin 60csx, Now What Do I Do?

Just received my new Garmin 60CSx to replace my little yellew etrex. Are there any good sites for how to get started with downloading Caches, maps, upgrading software, etc...?? I am used to inputing caches by hand, so I am out of my league a bit here.

Thanks for any help.

Start HERE

Then go to the Garmin site, download WebUpdater and run it TWICE to get Firmware 3.0 and GPS SW 2.7.

That's a good start...enjoy, you'll love your new CSx. :unsure:

Where do I go to see what software Version I have? It says America Basemap 4.0 when turning on. I don't see where else to see the SW version?

From the FAQ link I posted above...

2. How can I tell what version of the firmware I have?

Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'System' » ENTR » MENU » 'Software Version' » ENTR. The current version of the firmware is shown. Unit ID is also listed.

Lots of good info there...

Wow, that worked. I was missing that one "menu" key once inside SYSTEM, I was close.

Now, if I want to have Geocaching load all Geocaches that I have not found that are within 100 miles of my house, I am trying to figure out how to do that? The nearest unfound cache is over 25 miles away, so it will not be a lot of caches.

Now, if I want to have Geocaching load all Geocaches that I have not found that are within 100 miles of my house, I am trying to figure out how to do that? The nearest unfound cache is over 25 miles away, so it will not be a lot of caches.

I see you are a premium member, so you should take a look at the pocket queries.

Then you get a GPX-file by mail with all the geocaches you want (up to 500) from the search criteria you selected. You can seach from coordinates, states, cache-types , container type, terrain and difficulty and lots more.

Then take a look at GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) its a database program to manage your caches, in it you can filter for distance, type etc. and then transfer the caches to your GPSr.

The newest version does support the news x-series models.

There's also a great forum on the GSAK-site if you have any other questions about GSAK.

ProsperoDK/René

All Right! I just got GSAK loaded, Pocket Queries done, and loaded 210 caches into my CSX in about 3 seconds. Now, I can't figure out how to manipulate the caches inside the GPSr? And what maps should I buy?

Many people here in the forums have talked about City Navigator North America v.8. It supports the auto-routing capabilities of the 60CSx.

I live in Denmark so I use City Navigator Europe v.8, I find it of great use especially when there's a parking coordinate on the cache, it then guides me directly to that spot by the roads.

If you haven't changed anything else in GSAK or on the GPSr then your geocaching waypoints should all have the closed chest icon on the GPSr.

On the GPS click [find]-geocache-[enter] then it should show you the nearest caches to your position, to a maximum of 50 I believe. If you pres [enter] here you could chose "find by name" and then you can search through all the caches by entering the name.

On the list of caches you can see the distance and bearing to the selected cache below the list.

When you have the one you want to find then press [enter] and then "go to" on the next screen and off you go.

One thing to note is that its probably best to set the unit to prompt for off road vs. on road calculation and make sure that "lock on road" is off and that "go to line" is set to bearing, then you should be ready.

When driving on the road you select onroad calculation and when you reach the parking space just press [menu] and select recalculate and select off-road calculation and you are ready to follow the arrow to the cache.

ProsperoDK/René

I just replaced the 64 Mb SD chip with a 512 Mb SD chip, $24.99 at Radio Shack. Is there some where on the unit that I can make sure it shows the 512 Mb Memory? I checked that original web site and the manual, and can't seem to find the answer on where to look for it. Thanks again for all the help, you have all been great.

Hello. Just received my new 60 CSx yesterday also. I went to the site and tried to download webupdater twice and both times it said that it was already present. Is this possible?

Just received my new Garmin 60CSx to replace my little yellew etrex. Are there any good sites for how to get started with downloading Caches, maps, upgrading software, etc...?? I am used to inputing caches by hand, so I am out of my league a bit here.

Thanks for any help.

Start HERE

Then go to the Garmin site, download WebUpdater and run it TWICE to get Firmware 3.0 and GPS SW 2.7.

That's a good start...enjoy, you'll love your new CSx. :D

I just replaced the 64 Mb SD chip with a 512 Mb SD chip, $24.99 at Radio Shack. Is there some where on the unit that I can make sure it shows the 512 Mb Memory? I checked that original web site and the manual, and can't seem to find the answer on where to look for it. Thanks again for all the help, you have all been great.

One way to do this is to put the GPSr into USB mode and connect to your computer. You should then be able to see the space available / used of the newly mounted drive which will be your GPSr's SD card.