60csx Atlantic Basemap

Hi.

I'm looking at buying the Garmin 60csx and have been trying to decide whether I should try to get one with the UK basemap (which I think is called Atlantic). Does anyone have any screenshots showing the level of detail of the installed basemap?

If the detail is poor then I guess I'd want to invest in some additional Garmin maps. If this is the case, I might decide to get one with a US basemap which seems cheaper so I can save a bit of money.

Thanks.

Adam

Hi.

I'm looking at buying the Garmin 60csx and have been trying to decide whether I should try to get one with the UK basemap (which I think is called Atlantic). Does anyone have any screenshots showing the level of detail of the installed basemap?

If the detail is poor then I guess I'd want to invest in some additional Garmin maps. If this is the case, I might decide to get one with a US basemap which seems cheaper so I can save a bit of money.

Thanks.

Adam

The basemaps are less than useless.

If you are buying a 60csx then the memory is expandable anyhow.

So the US version should be a better way to go.

Saying that I have the EU version as it was bought for me as a B'day present.

Mapsource City Select Europe will allow you to autoroute etc.

I use it and prefer it to TT as I can use it to navigate to the local area

and then just switch from "Follow Road" to the "Off Road" option.

Even so watercourses coastlines and railway tracks are less than accurate.

The mapping relies on the software keeping you tied to the roads.

Unlike OS mapping on a PDA which is just a high quality calibrated bitmap.

The new topo maps should work better but I haven't had the pleasure yet. :unsure:

Cheers

Dave

I would agree that the basemap isnt really worth bothering with. If you are going to get Metroguide or City Navigator/Select then they will be much more useful.

Basically the atlantic basemap includes majorish (M and trunk A), and not a lot else, which it will route on, so if going to a major city and staying on major routes then useful. Although the City/Placename database is kinda useful. (but see the SMC coutour product which has a replacement anyway)

Basically I would say the Atlantic Basemap is nice to have, but don't get hung up on trying to get it. (but I do have it so, don't know if anything else you would miss out on)

(I would do a screenshot if could get the program running!)

Just managed to get the screenshot (xImage) working:

screenshot-gps.pngscreenshot-gps-metro.pngscreenshot-gps-metro-zoom.png

The first is the base-map only, its set on Most detail, and zooming in will not give any more detail. As you can see has major roads (what is not immediately apprentis they are very course so also! but does still have quite a few placenames.

The next image is Metroguide, this otherwise the settings are identical, but this will zoom in to more detail as in the third.

(btw these are on the night theme as the unit has decided its nighttime :unsure:, oh and these are a GPSmap 76C - but I imagine other units are pretty similar)

Edit: Another for good measure - this time showing the basemap on a larger area, with OSGB grid-lines.

Edited by barryhunter

I would have to disagree that the base map is useless. I used to have an Etrex Vista with the atlantic basemap and due it its memory limit could not fit loads of maps in - the basemap gave a fair level of detail for towns airports main routes etc. I have tracked my way across Europe on a plane many times (OK OK we've had that discussion before) even to the point of it having the airport in Egypt I ws travelling to and the airport showing. In Corfu, the main road was shown, and the border with Albania was clear - even the names of towns there. Now whilst you probably couldn''t navigate accurately with it it was pretty impressive for the free base map. I recently got a 60CSX with an american basemap. Now the world part of the basemap that covers europe is rubbish - my house is shoing about 3 miles offshore, as is the waypoint for the hotel in Egypt - no doubt the us is now as well covered as europe was on my old one.

So, in conclusion, the basemap for Europe is not useless, and it is certainly better than the default world basemap, but is it worth the £100 difference between the two models? No.

So, in conclusion, the basemap for Europe is not useless, and it is certainly better than the default world basemap, but is it worth the £100 difference between the two models? No.

Exactly!

Put the £100 or so to buying additional mapping and a large microSD.

Sounds like a plan, but my metroguide Europe doesn't even have most of Greece and certainly not Egypt. I've looked on the garmin site, but all their products offer 'parts of greece' which equates to athens...... :unsure:

Exactly!

Actually, depending on whether you get your US model from that e-place or not, you may find that it comes with a "free" copy of Metroguide Europe, so saving yourself £100 minus the cost of the card :unsure:

Or, since the Metroguide Europe discs don't need an unlock code, genuine second hand ones are often available very cheap from that e-place too, or from friends for the cost of a pint :(

As discussed elsewhere, using third party software, it is possible to transfer these maps to your GPS using third-party software so that the GPSMap 60CSx can use them to auto-route. The add the Scottish Mountaineering Club contour maps and barryhunter's OS grid overlay and Trigpoint tiles and you have a very nearly perfect system...

All we need now is someone who has the time and skills to do all the UK footpaths and we're laughing! :)

Bambi.

PS We actually wanted a US basemap, since we knew we were going to overwrite most of Europe with MG maps, so didn't see the point of paying an extra £100 for maps we were going to effectively delete and certainly never use. In addition, having US basmaps might be of some use if we were ever to go to the USA for a holiday...

EDIT: Think you may have to wish on for Greece in any format, but you might find something at mapcenter...

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

Exactly!

Exactly exactly! I agree completely. Whats the point of having an EU Basemap, when you're going to overwrite it anyway? I have noticed that the coast isn't brilliant, but it's just the same with my Vista that has an EU Basemap.

On eBay, you can get Roads & Recreation discs for £15 (originals as they have now been superceded). Perfectly adequate until you can get permission from your wife :laughing: to get TOPO or CITYNAVIGATOR.

As I've previously gloated on here before I got mine for about £270 + a couple of accessories. :lol: