Gpsmap 60csx Sat Lock

I've been having a problem with my 60csx locking satellites. I don't know if its just my area or if there is something wrong with my unit or if some settings are just screwed up.

When I first got it it would lock a full almanac of sats in under 15 seconds. Today when I took it out on my bike it took 5 minutes to get a lock at 225m accuracy, an nearly 15 to get a WAAS lock. It only locked on to 5 sats the entire ride.

I tried to do a hard reset but that didnt do much.

Is there anything I can try?

Thanks,

Robert

Firmware and SW version??

The latest really improved that stuff....

Ive never seen mine that bad so maybe yours has a problem.

I've been having a problem with my 60csx locking satellites. I don't know if its just my area or if there is something wrong with my unit or if some settings are just screwed up.

When I first got it it would lock a full almanac of sats in under 15 seconds. Today when I took it out on my bike it took 5 minutes to get a lock at 225m accuracy, an nearly 15 to get a WAAS lock. It only locked on to 5 sats the entire ride.

I tried to do a hard reset but that didnt do much.

Is there anything I can try?

Thanks,

Robert

Latest. Just updated the other day after 3.00 was released. Now this evening when I went back out on my bike it locked nice and quick. Maybe it was just the time of day when there were no sats directly overhead.

I have no idea.

Robert

Glad its working right for you now...maybe the update helped.

You know, every once and a while this sort of thing happens to me too. Not sure what causes it..bad sat orientation? local interference. This has happened to me maybe 4 or 5 times since I have owned GPS's.

Sometimes I think the government is doing some jamming tests? Once in an airplane heading into DC my gps altitude (no pressure sensor on this one) went negative for maybe 10 minutes of flight as we entered DC for landing. All this while the horizontal positioning was right on.

The csx the other week had me off the highway by a few hundred feet. These events are rare but do happen.

Latest. Just updated the other day after 3.00 was released. Now this evening when I went back out on my bike it locked nice and quick. Maybe it was just the time of day when there were no sats directly overhead.

I have no idea.

Robert

I do know that as you get closer to the north (or south I assume) pole, GPS reception gets worse. Like most satellites, I think the best reception is 45 degrees north and south of the equator. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so there may be better times than others.

I noticed the other day that I can receive 5 satellites during the day sittng on my computer in my room. Right now, slighly after midnight, I have 12 with nearly full strengh. All these issues must have something to do with the way the earth is tilted or something like that. I'm not a satellite expert, but those are my assumptions. WAAS also seems to work better at certain times of the day than others.

Unrelated to GPS, I've also noticed that my Sirius Satellite Radio gets better reception in the winter, even under ice and snow. I don't know why, but once summer rolls around the signal is much less. Part is probably due to the tree cover, but I think there is something else.

Robert

I've had a similar problem where if I'm moving (either car or ~3.5 mph walk) the gps takes a long time to get a lock. This is after a multiple hour power-off. Sitting still seems to pick up sats much more quickly.

Do others see this too? (2.7/3.0 firmware)

I have the same problem but apparently more severe. My 60csx would not lock on today at all. After two hours, it still only showed 4 miles at best. My Etrex Vista sitting right next to it locked on right away.

I ran the update on Monday. It had done this intermintently a couple of times, but would always lock after a couple of re-starts. Later that day it worked fine.

Any more suggetions?

I have the same problem but apparently more severe. My 60csx would not lock on today at all. After two hours, it still only showed 4 miles at best. My Etrex Vista sitting right next to it locked on right away.

I ran the update on Monday. It had done this intermintently a couple of times, but would always lock after a couple of re-starts. Later that day it worked fine.

Any more suggetions?

Not sure, but GPS SW 2.70 might fix you up...Garmin SirfWare Update

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Fixed occasional problem where the GPS would report a software version of 0.0 and not track satellites.

More tunnel reacquisition improvements.

Add almanac for MSAS.

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

Updated WAAS almanacs.

Further improved tunnel reacquisition.

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

Improve tunnel reacquisition problem.

While you're at it update to firmware 3.0...

Well, I'm feeling pretty sheepish this morning.

Seems I had it set for metric, and when I saw in the top left corner of the Sat. page 6m, 4m, etc. my brain didn't think METERS!

I had it set to metric for a puzzle cache im my area.

Thanks!

C.

:)B):):D:D

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!