15 Days, 500 Caches

KKTH3

Finally taking a break from work and we are preparing for our biggest road trip in 2 years. This time we will get to use the "find caches along a route" feature and while that will help us out a ton, but we wont have internet access during our trip so we have to load up all our waypoints in advance. In addition to the caches along the route, we will also be spending some extensive time in the Phoenix area and in the San Luis Obispo, CA area. Hopefully the weather will cool off some and allow for some caching in each of those areas as well.

July 29th, WY, CO, UT - Passing through Rawlins, Craig, GJ, and staying in Moab.

July 30th, UT, AZ - Passing through Flagstaff and staying in Scottsdale.

July 31-August 5th - Arizona in general (day trips TBD)

August 6th, AZ, CA - Passing through Blythe, Indio, San Bernardino, Pasadena, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and staying in Atascadero.

August 7th - 10th - SLO county in general - probably at least 1 day wine tasting in the Santa Ynez valley as well.

August 11th, CA, NV, UT - Passing through Paso Robles, Bakersfield, Mojave, Barstow, Las Vegas, Mesquite, St. George and staying in Cedar City.

August 12th, UT, WY - Passing through Provo, SLC, Park City, Evanston, Rock Springs and arriving home.

August 13th - sleeping all day.

It will be fun going back to old places and being able to cache there this time. I believe its been 4 years since we have been to SLO and probably about 6 since we have been to AZ. It should be fun!

Ah, 500 caches isn't really a goal for how many we expect to find - its how many waypoints I can fit into the GPSr. Part of my delima is finding a way to spread them out evenly so that A) we dont fill up the GPSr before I add in the PQ with caches along the route home or :laughing: we don't fill up on the routes so much that we don't have room for adding in extra caches in the PHX area or the SLO area. On top of all of that, we want to make sure we don't filter out any of the must visit caches either along our route or in the general areas we will be travelling. And that later point is further complicated by the fact that our daily side trips while staying in AZ and CA are mostly TBA. For instance, if we decided to go to Tuscon or the mexico border for a day trip, I currently do not have a PQ designed to pick up possible caches to do in those areas and I am not aware of any five star caches (in quality - rather than terrain or difficulty) to enter those in manually.

By the end of it all, getting even 50 caches over the 15 days would be incredible for us and getting 5 is probably more likely. Still, we'd like to hedge our bets by maxing out the GPSr to its limit with how many it can handle and then picking out the caches on the fly. Some of the driving days will be awfully long already which makes getting a few caches necessary (have to stretch the legs) and a lot of caches impossible (simply not enough time) - I believe a couple years ago during a long drive to NOLA we were averaging about 6 caches a day on the driving days. I can't remember how many DNFs we had during that time, but I do remember skipping a few caches and giving up on a few caches just because we had to keep moving down the road.

Ah, 500 caches isn't really a goal for how many we expect to find - its how many waypoints I can fit into the GPSr.

What type of receiver do you have? Garmin on some of their GPSr's have updated to 1000 waypoints.

The Legend that I have has been updated for several years now.