Shopping For A Gpsmap 60csx!

We are looking to buy our first GPS within a month or two; I think we have pretty much settled on getting the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. The only problem I’m having is deciding on which map software to purchase with it. We do a little bit of everything, from hiking to cross country trips to fishing. I would like to get a map for hiking where it will show very detailed areas of where we are hiking. We don’t always hike in a state or national park but sometimes just pull off the side of the road and go for it. What would you suggest for hiking? Cross country trips, sometimes we just drive not knowing really where we are going but would like a software that after we get to an area we like we could punch in the address of or look up on the software for the nearest camping, restaurant, or gas station. Is there any such software to provide us with that? Now fishing would like something with lake detail I have read on some of them will show “fishing hot spots” is there one that may be better then the other? Seems that the places that sell these don’t even know much about them. Please any help that you may provide will be great!

PS

Anyone have a suggestion on where to get the best deals on these? I have found some good deals on Ebay, is that typically where most of you purchase them?

We are looking to buy our first GPS within a month or two; I think we have pretty much settled on getting the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. The only problem I’m having is deciding on which map software to purchase with it. We do a little bit of everything, from hiking to cross country trips to fishing. I would like to get a map for hiking where it will show very detailed areas of where we are hiking. We don’t always hike in a state or national park but sometimes just pull off the side of the road and go for it. What would you suggest for hiking? Cross country trips, sometimes we just drive not knowing really where we are going but would like a software that after we get to an area we like we could punch in the address of or look up on the software for the nearest camping, restaurant, or gas station. Is there any such software to provide us with that? Now fishing would like something with lake detail I have read on some of them will show “fishing hot spots” is there one that may be better then the other? Seems that the places that sell these don’t even know much about them. Please any help that you may provide will be great!

PS

Anyone have a suggestion on where to get the best deals on these? I have found some good deals on Ebay, is that typically where most of you purchase them?

For your detailed maps when you are out hiking you've got to get Garmin Mapsource TOPO. This will provide you with contour lines and large hiking trails. It will not however allow you to enter addresses and route and the roads on it can be quite inaccurate. For the road nav you need to get Garmin Mapsource City Navigator North America. The latest version is 8 however 7 would probably be just fine.

As for prices, city nav 8 retails for about $130 and topo about $80-90. You can probably get them used on ebay for about half that price HOWEVER watch out with unlock codes on ebay:

City navigator uses unlock codes. When you buy the package it comes with two numbers that will produce codes so you can use the software with your specific GPS and only your GPS. If both are used up, the software is useless. MAKE SURE the software comes with atleast one free code. Topo doesn't use unlocks so you are OK there.

Good luck! :P

OK so for the hiking I found these two on the Garmin site which one of these would you suggest?

US TOPO 24K National Parks, East v2

United States TOPO

Would I be correct in saying the first one will peobably give me more detail and POI for the area I will be in most of the time?

For on the road, what is the difference between the City Nav, Metro Guide, and City Select?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Jeremy

OK so for the hiking I found these two on the Garmin site which one of these would you suggest?

US TOPO 24K National Parks, East v2

United States TOPO

Would I be correct in saying the first one will peobably give me more detail and POI for the area I will be in most of the time?

For on the road, what is the difference between the City Nav, Metro Guide, and City Select?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Jeremy

Basically, 24K national parks east will be topo maps of ONLY nation park land in the Eastern United states. United States TOPO is all the US. The advantage to the 24K national parks is they are much higher detail if you are in national parks, however I'd suggest the United States TOPO unless you will limit your hiking to national parks (or atleast GPS hiking)

City Navigator is the only version still in production for v8 and is the best type (as far as I know)

City Select was V7 and under. Two differences:

*The map segments are smaller, great for units like the legend that have only 8MB memory, however for your 60CSx City Navigator is better because it will use less segments which you have a limit of 2000 or so on the 60CSx.

*The routing is less detailed than City Navigator (for example Navigator has speed limits and traffic lights that it calculates into the ETA while City Select will go based only on the current speed and the distance remaining)

Metro Guide might have been V7 or V6 and under (not V8) and is the worst. It doesn't support auto-routing. Its cheaper so a Legend or Vista user might use it because that unit can't auto-route anyway. For a 60CSx, just don't get it.

Just to clarify, Garmin still makes Metroguide, and they have V8 out. The POI data is the same as with City Navigator, but as you said, it does not autoroute. For those users that have non routing units such as the Black and White Etrexes, it is perfect, because it does not waste their space with stuff they cannot use. But as y said, if you have an autorouting unit such as the 60CSx, get City Navigator for road navigation.