Gas Prices Affecting Your Hunt?

zeus661

Was wondering if others have slowed down on caching do to the price of gas?

Also was wondering if anyone does it on a motorcycle? I was thinking about it. But I only have room for one on the motorcycle so I would be doing it alone. That is how it is now most of the time. Any motorcyclist out there? I have a Honda Valkyrie.

I live in a County that has higher gas prices due to fuel additives for polution. The surrounding Northern counties do not. Their fuel is on average 30 cents per gallon cheaper. In my case we go mostly North for caching and a fuel fill-up! Sooooooo .... Fuel prices are affecting the direction of my hunt.

Koikeeper and I both enjoy caching. We will continue to do so regardless of fuel prices. We have also started teaming up (car pooling) with others to share the gas cost .... and it is more fun.

We have gone caching on my Harley, but prefer 4 wheels. :P ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

No. I came up with a great idea to save gas. When there was a water shortage we learned that one way of saving water was to put a few bricks or large stones in the toilet tank.

So taking a hint from that, to save gas I put a bunch of stones (well washed) in my gas tank. They had to be small to fit down the pipe so it took a lot, but now my tank only takes half the gas it used to. It was such a great idea I sent it to Heloise.

No. I came up with a great idea to save gas. When there was a water shortage we learned that one way of saving water was to put a few bricks or large stones in the toilet tank.

So taking a hint from that, to save gas I put a bunch of stones (well washed) in my gas tank. They had to be small to fit down the pipe so it took a lot, but now my tank only takes half the gas it used to. It was such a great idea I sent it to Heloise.

What a good idea, I don't know why I did not think of that? I guess that is why you are a moderator. BTW do you think sand would work?

What a good idea, I don't know why I did not think of that? I guess that is why you are a moderator. BTW do you think sand would work?

There is no sand in Lawrence. Try sugar. That will work better. Just like ethenol!

I’m worried about the stones creating wear on the inside of the tank. Or worse yet I would get two stones that would actually hit each other on a turn and would spark. I think I just fill my tank up 1/2 way with Styrofoam.

briansnat you have the ideas that need to be published.

Of course not, sand will absorb the gas and wind up costing you more.

Yes-as I have found all (new cache today) within 10 miles radius of my home. I have a limited amount of funds for gas since I'm a blue collar worker so I ride my bike to anything under 10 miles, this granny needs the workout (I eat too much).

I try and talk a geocaching friend into a road trip when we can find a town with alot of finds. We are going to do the St. Paul Classic Bike Tour with a side trip for geocaching in September.

I hope to do a couple in August when I'm attending a wedding out of town too!

My solution was to place some caches in my home area-so others can enjoy this great activity. That gives me a good feeling :P

Many years ago I accidentally put diesel fuel in my Honda Civic. The mixture was about 50/50.

Amazingly, the car ran and I got such good mileage, it took forever to finally get the tank emptied so I could fill it back up with gas.

The spark plugs got a little fouled during that little "experiment," so I had to replace them . . .

Although sand does not make the same annoying noise as stones or especially glass marbles, it might get into the carburetor and due to its abrasive nature increase the size of your jets over time. That will lead to a much richer mixture and you will experience performance problems at higher altitudes.

Jan

Very interesting! Does this improve your mileage? How does it help?

Edited by Dan&Chris

In my case it does. Often if I am going somewhere I try to pick up caches along my way instead of making a special trip. I still make the occasional special trip, but not nearly as often, and I will usually wait until I can pick up a number of caches in the same area. Gas here is $1.18 per litre.

In my case it does. Often if I am going somewhere I try to pick up caches along my way instead of making a special trip. I still make the occasional special trip, but not nearly as often, and I will usually wait until I can pick up a number of caches in the same area. Gas here is $1.18 per litre.

Wow, if I did my metric conversion math right that is like about $4.50-$5/gallon! And we here in the States so complain....(of course, I may be off because I'm probably not factoring in US vs. Canadian $$$ conversion correctly) :lol:

With us, the heat has slowed down our caching more than the gas prices; though we are getting to the point where the ones that are easy enough to take the kids are starting to get farther and farther away.....

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Very interesting! Does this improve your mileage? How does it help?

Well it used to cost me $38 to fill my tank. Now it only costs $18, so that's a savings of $20.

Wow, if I did my metric conversion math right that is like about $4.50-$5/gallon! And we here in the States so complain....(of course, I may be off because I'm probably not factoring in US vs. Canadian $$$ conversion correctly) :D

With us, the heat has slowed down our caching more than the gas prices; though we are getting to the point where the ones that are easy enough to take the kids are starting to get farther and farther away.....

Well - don't complain - where I live, in Norway, the gas-price is now aprox. $2,05 per litre (US $). But I can't say that gas-prices affect our hunt - time and work does, but not prices. :lol:

mvh

Team SeGa