Trading Signature Items

I have just been reading a thread in the geocaching topics forum entitled TSLN (Took nothing left nothing)

and someone mentioned trading for signature items

[sig items on the other hand, are in some cases considered VERY coveted trade items. A lot of people leave some very nice stuff when taking sig items.

One of my geocoins had a pair of binoculars left as trade for it.]

I always assumed that signature items were to be left in the cache for the cache owner

Have i got it wrong?

i read somewhere that if you wanted to leave something specifically for the cache owner, then you put it in the bag that the log book is in. Anything else in the cache is fair game unless specified otherwise. Of course, this does raise the question of what about those caches where the log book isn't in a bag of its own!

I am of the opinion that a signature item is an item left by a cacher which is "unique" to him/her.

i.e.

Bones1=rubber gloves/tissues

Alibags=fridge magnets with pigs on

Me=World Cup playing cards

other not so well known or intentional

SP=tealights

Bekandian=Blank fridge magnets / dhoop

These items are just normal trade items which, IMHO, are normally left without swapping for another item and keeps the trade items up.

I know SP and myself leave items more so if we have enjoyed the cache - as a thank you.

i read somewhere that if you wanted to leave something specifically for the cache owner, then you put it in the bag that the log book is in. Anything else in the cache is fair game unless specified otherwise. Of course, this does raise the question of what about those caches where the log book isn't in a bag of its own!

But what if it's all been put in one bag, due to the container leaking?

Surely if it's for a particular cacher (the cache owner, our someone to collect from that cache), it neds to be in a bag/envelope with the cachers name on?

Otherwise it's fair game for swaps?

G