Typically How Many Of Each Coin Get Bought?

AdmiralJota

When people create their own geocoins and offer them through the forum or through a distributor, how many sales do they typically see? I'm sure it must depend a lot on the coin: I'm just curious about ballpark ranges for an ordinary personal geocoin with no special features or significance. 3-5? 10-20? 50-100? 200-300?

If you have only one metal you can expect to sell around 200 coins and with multiple metals an additional 100. Of course design will also effect sells since something special will sell more. Another factor effecting selling will be price. The key is to have a nice design at a reasonalbe price. doing it this way you will break even with a few free coins to trade or place in caches.

The day of making money on selling a single coin is gone except for the mints.

Team Sand Dollar

(Trader of TSD and BW geocoins)

When I created the Red-Handed coin, I did pre-orders. In this case, I sold about 475 coins -- however, they were very inexpensive ($5.50 each - which was close to cost) so I am sure that affected the sales. Also, they were trackable, but with no unique icon.

I'm not sure how I feel about a personal coin that is for sale -- I guess I probably wouldn't buy it myself (although I have in the past). The 200-300 range seems about right from what I have seen/heard.

I have seen 200 sell of coins I have produced that were non-trackable (but I think everything is now trackable and adds costs).

Team Sand dollar makes two good points: affordability (like gouging at $10 each per coin) and good design

I would add a third factor: intent, if a coin is deemed commercial, it may turn off some buyers.

The day of making money on selling a single coin is gone except for the mints.

I've been keepign close track of money spent versus money recovered on the geoSquid coins. Currently, I've sunk in (don't have the spreadsheet in front of me) about $3400 CDN - that includes minting, postage, ebay fees, envelopes, etc. On approximately 300 coins sold/traded, I've recovered about $2250 CDN and 30-ish geocoins in trade.

A lot depends on the design. Regional designs can still easily sell over 1000, I think. We minted and sold 1500 of the California Micro (Poppy) geocoin. We minted 1100 of the motogrrl Memorial Geocoin and sold them all locally. For a personal geocoin, a lot depends on the design and price. I would guess that sales of personals range from 100 to 500 these days.

--Marky

I minted 1,000 Vermont coins, this is a state coin so sales are higher than for personals. I sold 800 of these online in about a month. The other 200 I had shipped back to me for distribution in Vermont. I take them to events to sell and intend to place some in caches (both activated and as trade items). I will also be trading some of these for other coins.

Team Sand dollar makes two good points: affordability (like gouging at $10 each per coin) and good design

I would add a third factor: intent, if a coin is deemed commercial, it may turn off some buyers.

Yeah, I'm not interested in making a profit: I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I could reasonably expect sales to cover the cost of minting (with some extras left over for me to trade/drop in caches/fondle) and how large of a run they would cover. But you raise another good question: what's considered an appropriate price range for a personal coin without special gimmicks?

Edited by AdmiralJota

I minted 500 of the double dragon geocoins with 200 Two-tones, and 100 of each antique metal plating (antique copper, antique silver and antique gold). I am keeping out 15 of each for personal use/trade/etc.

I have sold out (85) of each of the antique plating coins. I think I have about 20 more (I think) two-tones coins to sell?

My Coins!

I did buy 1000 tracking codes so that I could get a custom prefix...

Another factor is the custom icon, which is $150.

While there are variables, there are a few things you can bank on to affect (personal) coin sales. They are (in no particular order);

1. Design. It must be a good design and have eye appeal. Adding something unique or a gimmick (spinner, glowpaint, decoder) can help also.

2. Price. If you gouge them, they won't come. Keep it under $8.00 including shipping, handling etc etc.

3. Name recognition. Widley known cachers tend to sell out much faster.

4. Tracking and Icons. Gotta have em for a fast smooth sellout.

Not having these 4 points covered doesn't mean your project will flop, but having all 4 points covered practically guarantees success.