Error Transferring Waypoints. Please Help!

JC_Geo

I am receiving an error when I attempt to transfer waypoints from my computer to my GPSr (Legend).

I am using the Garmin Serial Cable. I have tried both GSAK and EasyGPS to transfer the waypoints from my computer. I have tried transferring to two different Garmin etrex GPSrs and receive the same error message. My first guess is that the cable went bad, but I am not sure. I tried to transfer by USB and receive the same message.

Here is the message

-----------------------------------------------------

Error sending waypoints:

[ERROR] CreateFile on 'COM1' failed: Access is denied.

GARMIN:Can't init COM1

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am receiving an error when I attempt to transfer waypoints from my computer to my GPSr (Legend).

I am using the Garmin Serial Cable. I have tried both GSAK and EasyGPS to transfer the waypoints from my computer. I have tried transferring to two different Garmin etrex GPSrs and receive the same error message. My first guess is that the cable went bad, but I am not sure. I tried to transfer by USB and receive the same message.

Here is the message

Error sending waypoints:

[ERROR] CreateFile on 'COM1' failed: Access is denied.

GARMIN:Can't init COM1

Does anyone have any ideas?

Do you sync a PDA with COM1?

Well, it is not the cable. I am still getting the same error (just different COM #s) trying through serial port and/or USB. I tried deleting GSAK and reinstalling, but same error comes up.

It worked before. Now I am lost and don't know what to do. I can get the waypoints to download off a laptop, but not the desktop. The only thing different between the two is that I do not hotsync the pda on the laptop. I can hotsync the pda on the desktop and get the cache notes from GSAK.

I just can't download the waypoints.

if you are using a serial cable, then you will be using your serial com ports on the PC and will point to the serial ports (typically com1 or com2) in your software..do not select USB in the software - it won't work.

now, you need to figure out why your software can't open the com port. most typically, this is because another application has it reserved and therefore the app. you want can't access it. (this is why the PDA question was asked).

first thing is to confirm that the hardware port your cable is on is actually COM1 (and not com 2, etc.). You may be sure already, or you can sometimes see it in the control panel, or if you have another app and another device you connect and you are sure that when you connect that device and tell your software it's COM1 and it works, then you have confirmed that you are plugging in to the correct physical port.

next, you need to use a process of elimination to figure out what software is interfering. If you have hot sync manager or other programs running in your system tray that talk to that com port, then shut them down one at a time and try it again each time until it works. (don't forget to set com1 in your gps software otherwise your process of elimination won't work!).

if none of those work, perhaps it is something with the software you are using. If you have 2 programs that can talk to your GPS, does neither one work or does one work and not the other. If one can do it, they both should be able to, and if they don't, it's either a setting in the one that doesn't work, or perhaps you are not using the right process to transfer the info ('user error' or 'error between the keyboard and the chair').

you can also try a 'bottom up' approach on your com port issue, which is to boot windows in safe mode, which I believe still supports the com ports, and then run your software in question. If it can talk to the GPS in safe mode, but not in a regular boot, then you have something interfering with the communication, either a driver, program, etc. that you need to find. (enter safe mode by repeatedly pressing either f1 or f8 (I forget) when starting the boot process).

hope this helps & good luck!!

When I band the cable slightly at the serial end, I can transfer points with no problem.

Since the cable is good, then this may be a symptom of a defective connector on the computer. If you have a second serial port, try that one. If not, you might have to buy a multi-port PCI card. They are not too expensive and would certainly be better than transferring the waypoints through you laptop.