Puzzles

ximines

A lone puzzle setter here, I need to know how easy/diffiicult they are,

I realise there are many levels of abiliity.I am very ready to give hints.

The cache pages give blatant hints.

The solutons are linkrd to that great geochecker site, so I will know about tries/solutions.

For those interested check out the names

waypoints are GCWK7E and GCX4TX sorry don't know how to link them

A lone puzzle setter here, I need to know how easy/diffiicult they are,

I realise there are many levels of abiliity.I am very ready to give hints.

The cache pages give blatant hints.

The solutons are linkrd to that great geochecker site, so I will know about tries/solutions.

For those interested check out the names

waypoints are GCWK7E and GCX4TX sorry don't know how to link them

GCWK7E

GCX4TX

Edited by unicyclist

Random musings - It never fails to astonish me that anyone would feel motivated to hide caches without having found any (unless, of course, there are no caches to find...not the case here). FINDING caches has been instrumental in helping me determine what I like and don't like, which then gets incorporated into my own hides. For instance, I don't like the needle-in-the-haystack type of hide, or the cache that gets moved about, so I work to exclude those features. Inexperienced cachers often err in cache descriptions/placements, so I rarely seek their offerings on a FTF basis. As a puzzler, I don't really see anything in these particular puzzles that would spark my interest in solving them (unless I were planning on visiting the area). I have solved a dozen or so puzzle caches not in my search area, just because the problems posed attracted me, but that doesn't hold in this case.

Random musings - It never fails to astonish me that anyone would feel motivated to hide caches without having found any (unless, of course, there are no caches to find...not the case here). FINDING caches has been instrumental in helping me determine what I like and don't like, which then gets incorporated into my own hides. For instance, I don't like the needle-in-the-haystack type of hide, or the cache that gets moved about, so I work to exclude those features. Inexperienced cachers often err in cache descriptions/placements, so I rarely seek their offerings on a FTF basis. As a puzzler, I don't really see anything in these particular puzzles that would spark my interest in solving them (unless I were planning on visiting the area). I have solved a dozen or so puzzle caches not in my search area, just because the problems posed attracted me, but that doesn't hold in this case.

Assumption..maybe he does not log them.

Ahhh, if only he didn't log his hides as well, then perfect consistency would be attained.

Please don't discourage anyone from hiding, there are very few caches here that are really challenging.

btw, I have solved these, someone disparaging, might call them trivial puzzles, however

the puzzles are the easy part, so far exhaustion, carrying bke. fording deep creeks and bushwhacking has

forced me to make multi attempts.as yet not got to GZ, I can't wait until he ups the ante.

That's the bad thing about these forums, Someone always has somekind of smart answer. Hope you didn't run another person away from posting.

That's the bad thing about these forums, Someone always has somekind of smart answer. Hope you didn't run another person away from posting.

As I've observed in an earlier post when I first ventured here, "Hell is other people" ..Jean-Paul Sartre

I suppose wandering360 is implying a preference for unintelligent or unintelligible answers, since smart answers are so disagreeable. How anyone might be 'run off' by the constructive observations previously made is beyond my ken. I hope, Gerboa, you or someone else does eventually find these caches so as to prove their viability. Then, if I ever visit your area, I may follow.

The first one took about 1.5 seconds to guess what it was, and a further 2 seconds to type the calculation into Google. :laughing: Don't count me as typical though; I think others may have a bit of difficulty figuring it out if they don't use math that much. Don't worry about it being too hard.

I didn't try the second one since it seemed to require actually visiting the location.

GCWK7E

Keep in mind that I'm just a newbie when I say this - I don't get it. I would have no idea what to do with those numbers.

At least I'm not alone. Geochecker says "There have been 14 visits to this hash, including this visit; of those who attempted a solution, 1 had the right coordinates, and 17 had the wrong coordinates. "

GCWK7E

Keep in mind that I'm just a newbie when I say this - I don't get it. I would have no idea what to do with those numbers.

At least I'm not alone. Geochecker says "There have been 14 visits to this hash, including this visit; of those who attempted a solution, 1 had the right coordinates, and 17 had the wrong coordinates. "

Maybe most of the people who had the correct coords didn't need to verify them.

Yes, I saw the solutions at a glance, especially as the first one gives it away, and the second has a clue, and is part of a series, i guess in the same vein.

I don't think (not sure) the OP wanted any input on the remaining clues,

as there are none in the first. but constructive help would no doubt be welcomed.

I think there's a LOT more can be done with the Windows calculator and hope to see it if the series progresses.

An ad in the local paper is seeking an 'oppo to scale the 6 summits here, must be a geocacher, considering the other attractions.

GCWK7E

Maybe most of the people who had the correct coords didn't need to verify them.

Probably true.

Are those numbers supposed to be an offset from the listed co-ords?

GCWK7E

1 correct PLUS 17 incorrect = 18. But it says only 14 visits? Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmm

1 correct PLUS 17 incorrect = 18. But it says only 14 visits? Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmm

There might also be a rounding problem with the mismatch between the puzzle (which wants an answer in decimal degrees format DD.DDDDD) and the geochecker program (which only takes DD MM.MMM).

I wonder if that's causing some of those 'wrong' answers? Double-hmmmmmmmm.

There might also be a rounding problem with the mismatch between the puzzle (which wants an answer in decimal degrees format DD.DDDDD) and the geochecker program (which only takes DD MM.MMM).

I had them both figured out very quickly, but did not use the geochecker because once you get it, you get it. Of course I have a cache that requires the completion of a calculus problem.

*BOOM*

My head just exploded! I am TERRIBLE at these, and am just about to start caching in a new city where we have a code nut who has a bunch of puzzle caches that are going to be a REAL challenge... At least, for me.

When I've done a puzzle cache - it's been with some helpful prodding from someone who knows how to decode alphabet soup...

There's room for all kinds of cache and cachers, so why not keep up with the puzzle caches?

Geochecker is able to make allowances, the owner can opt for a "fuzzy" solution within acceptable limits

I had them both figured out very quickly, but did not use the geochecker because once you get it, you get it. Of course I have a cache that requires the completion of a calculus problem.

Checked your 2 puzzle caches, I see an 8 year old solved the puzzles (calculus???) which was not on the cache page but at the cache. Smart Lad !! Could you kindly email it to me to try on a few 8 year olds.?

Checked your 2 puzzle caches, I see an 8 year old solved the puzzles (calculus???) which was not on the cache page but at the cache. Smart Lad !! Could you kindly email it to me to try on a few 8 year olds.?

I only have one puzzle cache, and you are right, it must be done at the cache. Where did the 8 year old comment come from?

So are you asking me to send you the calculus problem

I only have one puzzle cache, and you are right, it must be done at the cache. Where did the 8 year old comment come from?

from the logs, yes please I'd like to try it. There are 2 puzzles listed for your profile, one about telephones

Edited by ximines

from the logs, yes please I'd like to try it. There are 2 puzzles listed for your profile, one about telephones

The telephone cache is not mine, i just recommend it. The one I am talking about is "It All Adds Up"

you have to do math problems to get the numbers for a combination lock. Here is the calculus problem:

Congratulations, you've found the next to last stage of the Multi-Cache “It All Adds Up.” After completing the problem below, you will be able to return to the final stage, unlock the combination lock and log your visit.

f(x) = (3^3+8)x + 1/2 pi - cos(e^4)

Find f'(x)

Hint: Utilize the Power Rule when finding the first derivative.

Edited by SG-MIN

Geochecker is able to make allowances, the owner can opt for a "fuzzy" solution within acceptable limits

Ximenes, I believe that geochecker is working properly on your Torquemada II puzzle, but not on Torquemada. You should double-check.

I'm much more likely to use geochecker than I am to look for the Thai caches, so that's the urgent question for me -- is there a problem with geochecker?

Ximenes, I believe that geochecker is working properly on your Torquemada II puzzle, but not on Torquemada. You should double-check.

I'm much more likely to use geochecker than I am to look for the Thai caches, so that's the urgent question for me -- is there a problem with geochecker?

I have sent them an email and asked if they might reply to the forums, I believe there is/was an issue of not adding the count checker at the right time, a cache owner's error (me) I think

I believe Torquemada was the first Cardinal of the Spanish Inquisition, and Ximines/Ximinez the second.

I seem to remember there were six, have searched forever, cannot find the others.

Any theologians here can help please.

Some danger of this thread going off at a tangent now ???

I believe Torquemada was the first Cardinal of the Spanish Inquisition, and Ximines/Ximinez the second.

I seem to remember there were six, have searched forever, cannot find the others.

Any theologians here can help please.

Some danger of this thread going off at a tangent now ???

Torquemada I "knew'" was x-word setter Obsever (UK), he was succeeded by Ximines. These were not x-words you could do while your egg boiled. There was a very exclusive club of solvers..don't know current situation.

For some reason you think Making a Connection is mine, but it is not, it is just one I recently visited and added to my favorites list. That is the one that has the 8-year old that completed it.

The cache I have refered to is actually a multi and is called It All Adds Up. That is the one that has the calculus problem. Only two cachers have found it: one is a math teacher, the other needed lots of help and never even solved the calculus problem.

For some reason you think Making a Connection is mine, but it is not, it is just one I recently visited and added to my favorites list. That is the one that has the 8-year old that completed it.

The cache I have refered to is actually a multi and is called It All Adds Up. That is the one that has the calculus problem. Only two cachers have found it: one is a math teacher, the other needed lots of help and never even solved the calculus problem.

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, I misread your profile cache listings, but I'm learning thro my errors.

sorry, and it's comforting that an 8 year did not solve it. I guess there's a few budding Freeman Dysons out there but I think they're not geocaching