Blind As A Bat...

On a couple of occassions recently I've tried to log a geocoin, only to find the tracking number almost impossible to read. :) It took me six attempts to guess the right number before I could log my newly found Michigan coin tonight - and I didn't even bother trying to "discover" the Geoset coin I found on Sunday because the number was almost invisible! I understand the desire not to spoil the appearance of the coin, but spare a thought for us oldies! :(

On a couple of occassions recently I've tried to log a geocoin, only to find the tracking number almost impossible to read. :( ... I didn't even bother trying to "discover" the Geoset coin I found on Sunday because the number was almost invisible! I understand the desire not to spoil the appearance of the coin, but spare a thought for us oldies! :(

Went out caching with my dad, Brocher, the other month and leant him my GPSr while I did all the scurrying up and down steep slopes at the cache site. When he returned it at the end of the afternoon the contrast was so cranked up it almost gave me a migrane! :):):o

Now I understand why he dosen't seem to log half his finds. :o

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

I've been finding this sort of thing a problem for a while, I have a magnifier at home but haven't yet got to the stage of taking it out with me. The thing is I wear fairly mild glasses for those other little un-important things in life - like driving and much to my internal embarrassment and shame now can be seen peering at the coin inscriptions with my glasses held up on my forehead - just like the apprentice master my friends and I would rib mercilessly as he squinted at a drill bit to read the size :( What goes around, comes around - now where's my zimmer :)

Do you wear reading glasses? If not, you may wish to consider it.

Thanks SP - that's what I need - large print cache pages!

I do indeed wear reading glasses - I finally gave in about 2 years ago, and admitted that I could no longer proudly read the copyright notice at the bottom of the eyesight test. :P

But this still gives me a few challenges:

1. Remembering to take my glasses on caching trips with me... :D

2. Remembering not to leave them in the car... :o

3. Carrying them along with the GPS, PDA, caching swaps, torch, etc, etc

4. Trying not to loose them while searching for the cache (like I did last night with my PDA cable)

5. Trying to use them in the dark, where they seem to make little difference anyway (yes, I know all about cones and rods and stuff...)

I like the idea of a Grampa Coin. :D

I would be of the opinion that the Grandpa coin should be a set of six coins joined together. Each coin in the shape of a letter or number that ultimately "spells out" the tracking code.

If I wasn't going out in 5 minutes would have tried to knock something funny up, on Photoshop.

(and No I do not know anyone called funny!)

That joke only works if you write, "If I wasn't going out in 5 minutes I would have tried to knock up funny with Photoshop'. And even that doesn't quite work. :unsure:

Practical advice: Get a loop to hang your reading glasses around your neck, like a GPSr. And if you hold down Ctrl and Q while on a cache page, and use your mouse wheel, you can expand and shrink the text.

Edited by Simply Paul

Among items I deem as necessary caching tools is a swiss army pen knife. Twenty six gadgets on it if you include the pin under the corkscrew that holds the spectacle screw driver! The most useful part is the tweezers for removing thorns and splinters when reaching for the final in the inevitable gorse bush!

Having said that attachment 15 is a magnifying glass that has had to be used to check the number on a coin.

BareClawz