What Kind Of "liquids" Do You Carry?

markp99

I've been debating getting a hydration backpack, with room for swag and 35mm digital camera.

3 Questions:

1. What sort of liquids do you carry:

- Water

- Sportsdrink

- Tea

- Caffeinated or not

- Other?

2. Are *cold* liquids an issue or irritation when slung on your *warm* back?

3. I presume liquids will approach body temp or ambient air temp. Does this affect the body's ability to cool/overheating in warm temps?

Thanks!

3. I presume liquids will approach body temp or ambient air temp. Does this affect the body's ability to cool/overheating in warm temps?

Water in summer, coffee in winter.

Liquids kept in a thermos are not an issue!

Cold coffee and hot water tastes just as good when you are thirsty on the trail.

I'm a big fan of bottled water.
It is rare that I keep cold water in my pack, but it would definitely be welcome on my back.
I don't think it would make a difference. I believe that the the drinks allow your body to cool through evaporation of perspiration than because the drink is cold. Edited by sbell111

I only carry water, but I don't see any reason why you can't carry other liquids provided you clean the bladder extra carefully. I use a Camelbak Daystar. Most Camelbaks are padded and insulated where they hold the bladder, allowing the contents to stay cool (and with the wide mouths it's easy to throw in ice cubes as well.) Your back won't feel cold or get irritated. Any liquid in the tubing gets warm pretty fast, but you can just drink that or pour it out to get to the refreshing cool stuff. (They have insulation sleeves for the tubes for winter use so the contents don't freeze in the tube, I'm wondering if something like that might work to keep what's in the tube cool in the summer as well.)

My back doesn't really feel warm when wearing the pack, although with more strenuous hikes under high heat I may sweat more than I realize and notice it only after I take off the pack that my back may be damp. But I haven't experience any kind of discomfort when carrying it, either from the coolness of the contents or from the heat generated by the padding.

As with any pack, some brands and models are going to fit different people differently. I am only experienced with Camelbak hydration packs, although I've tried on other brands that never fit me right. I can't speak to their features, but Camelbak has so many different styles and liquid and cargo capacities that between Camelbak and other brands you should have several options.

A great place to find hydration packs on sale is Campmor.com. Their hot deals can be really awesome and change quite often. I got my sons their own camelbak's for only $12.50 each last summer. The adult packs are more expensive, but if you catch them, they often have amazing deals.

Edited by Bear Paughs

I don't consider myself any kind of expert by no means. Everything I do is day hikes, usually of half-a-day or less. But I'll start.

I don't carry anything but water in mine. I have found the bladder too hard to clean out effectively if I put anything else in it.

Not really an issue. Around my parts, anything cold, tends to become fairly warm quickly. Seems like most of the hydration packs I have seen are black. Doesn't help at all for keeping things cool. Try to buy white or silver if you can find it. If I can get crushed ice sometimes I will try shoving some of that in there to keep it cold longer. I have been known to take water bottles and freeze them for use later in the day. Insulated they stay colder a little longer.

Main thing is to stay hydrated. Cold/cool water helps to cool you but the biggest problem is dehydration. Drink as much as you can before you leave and carry as much as you can. Of course that depends on the hike. If it is a couple miles in and out on a fairly easy, well established trail then I am not too concerned. If I am hitting poorly defined or unknown trails I like to carry as much as possible. You never know. And always, waymark your car!!!!

I use a camelbak with a 3 liter bag. Water only, and I get it from my tap. I am constantly amazed at what people will pay for "bottled water" which is mostly water taken from some other city's tap. The Water bag has a large opening, so I can dump in a bunch of ice. It will keep the water cool all day, and other than some minor sweating onto my back, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Maybe if folks switched from bottled to tap water, they would have the additional funds necessary to pay for gas for caching. Bottled water - more expensive than gasoline... :)

Edited by Jhwk

The only liquid I store in the hydration pack bladder(s) is water. On hot days/long hikes, I have two 3-liter bladders plumbed together to feed one drinking tube. I also carry a couple of frozen-solid, 1-liter Nalgene bottles in the adjacent pack compartment. These keep the water cool, and are a backup water supply should I run through all six liters. I store a bottle/can of V8 (for electrolyte replacement) and any chocolate or other food that would otherwise melt or spoil in the same compartment.

This arrangement has served me well on hikes of up to eight hours in 100+ degree heat. The solidly frozen Nalgenes are usually just about melted by the time I return to the Jeep.

I also carry a couple of frozen-solid, 1-liter Nalgene bottles in the adjacent pack compartment. These keep the water cool, and are a backup water supply should I run through all six liters. I store a bottle/can of V8 (for electrolyte replacement) and any chocolate or other food that would otherwise melt or spoil in the same compartment.

I do this as well for longer hikes.

I keep the bladder of my daypack 2/3 full of filtered tap water in the freezer. On the morning before I leave I top it off with refrigerated filtered tap water. Most times the melt rate=my thirst rate.

If I'm staying local or not heading too far off road I'll carry a small cooler with bottled water and Lipton Citrus flavored green tea. It's nice to have a slight changeup from water once in a while.

Since dehydration is a concern in both hot and cold weather, when hiking, anything caffeinated is not really a wise choice. Caffine will actually work against you. The sports drinks offer a little flavor, however not much beyond that. The liquid you SHOULD be taking in is relatively easy to figure out for the average person. Your body weight divided by two. The resulting number is how many ounces of water you should be drinking each day. If your getting muscle cramps, hiking or not, some level of dehydration is often the culprit.

If it's hot out, cold would be welcome however it's coming from a source other than my bottle which is more than likely as hot as I am.

The body use the liquid, regardless of the tempature, to prevent overheating. That said however, cold would definatley be a preference for cooling and be overall more effective.

Stop by your local Boy Scout shop and see if you can get their OKPIK manual. It is for winter camping, however has an excellent section on hydration.

Probably more than you wanted. I teach camping skills, mostly cold weather, so you hit a "coord" here.

The sports drinks offer a little flavor, however not much beyond that.

I was thinking of Gatorade or similar that offer electrolyte replacement as a benefit beyond plain water.

Is it worth "gumming up the plumbing" of the hydration pack with the sugar/salts from this sort of stuff?

Mark

Edited by markp99

I was thinking of Gatorade or similar that offer electrolyte replacement as a benefit beyond plain water.

Is it worth "gumming up the plumbing" of the hydration pack with the sugar/salts from this sort of stuff?

Mark

My take is, no. There's the cleanup problem, of course. Then there's the consumption problem. You know when to drink water; just slake your thirst, or stay slightly ahead of it. But it's very easy to drink too much Gatorade too quickly and get out of whack. I've dropped Gatorade and similar energy/electrolyte drinks entirely. I operate at pretty high energy levels, and I'm prone to bonking nastily if I rely too heavily on simple sugars for fuel. For electrolytes I've switched from Gatorade to V8 juice (got Na and K salts in decent proportion). For energy, Powerbars are out, and trail mix, brownies and "Oh Yeah" bars are in.

BTW, you can tell that you are seriously salt-depleted if your fingertips get puffy toward the end of a hike. That effect is also the reason that salt depletion is a factor in developing blisters.

I'm not really a "pro" at this, but I do hike in 100+ temps at times. I use a backpack that can carry an hydration bladder. I only use water and try to drink enough to stay ahead of the thirst curve (I made that up, but you get the idea). I don't normally drink much water (and I'm still alive after 62 years), but when hiking in the heat, I don't take chances. I put ice cubes in the bladder then fill the rest with cold water from the refrigerator door. For shorter hikes I will carry a plastic bottle with ice cubes and water. I've never had a problem with water getting too warm - except in the tube. Some friends have insulated covers for the tube outside the pack and they work well to keep the water cool. I either drain a small amount or blow the tube water back into the bladder before I drink. Works for me.

- Water

- Sportsdrink

- Tea

- Caffeinated or not

- Other?

Water in a Platypus hydration bladder. When its really hot I freeze it over night and it melts slowly throughout the day giving me ice cold water all day.

I sometimes bring bottle of iced tea or lemonade to drink with lunch.

In winter I bring water and a thermos of hot tea.

Most packs are insulated so you don't feel it. Some of my packs don't have insulation and the frozen water bladder feels pretty darn good on hot days.

3. I presume liquids will approach ambient air temp. Does this affect the body's ability to cool/overheating in warm temps?

Eventually they do, though it takes a lot longer when the bladder is frozen. I've never noticed any difference as far as overheating.

I just carry plain water. Usually bottled water - I know its price but it is convenient. When we went on vacation to Rocky Mnt. Nat'l Park in June, we brought bottled water from home. Keep your eyes open for sales at your favorite grocery store. While in Colorado, we would refill the empty bottles with tap water for the next day's adventures. The tap water there was quite good.

While we were there, we came across a pamphlet from a medical clinic in Estes Park about altitude sickness and dehydration. It said to drink water before leaving and said that if your urine flow is normal to high and it's clear, then you are properly hydrated. If the flow is low and the color is dark, then it's an early sign of dehydration.

On the first day of hiking, we didn't take enough water along, so when we got back to the car, we were quite thirsty. Even though the water in the car was out right hot (having been in the sun all day), it tasted mighty fine!

Only water goes in my hydration bladders. If it's hot weather I'll usually take really cold water. If it's winter I'll bring room temperature water.

I usually bring juice or somesuch in a separate bottle to have with lunch. In the winter I might bring a separate small thermos with hot chocolate or tea, but only on longer outings.

I usually find myself taking a decent amount of hydrogen dioxide with me for recreational use - despite the many times it has been linked to fatalities. I do consider myself to be a safe user of the chemical, however. Besides - I cannot seem to kick the habit.

I usually find myself taking a decent amount of hydrogen dioxide with me for recreational use

Are you sure you don't mean "hydrogen oxide" (H20, also known as water)? Hydrogen dioxide (H2O2) is a thick, colorless liquid with a bitter taste, usually used as a bleaching agent. I can't imagine drinking it!

"I only use water and try to drink enough to stay ahead of the thirst curve (I made that up, but you get the idea). "

If you wait until you're thirsty, you're already beginning to dehydrate.

Do you wait until your car runs out of gas to fill the tank? Start drinking before you feel thirsty and you won't feel thirsty. You'll stay hydrated too.

Most of the caches near me are less than a half mile from the parking lot. I carry bottled water (Flavored and plain) in a cooler when I go caching. I'll take a drink before I head out and after I get back. For bike rides and longer hikes, I use a Camelback Mule with tap water and a bottle or two of Propel or VitaminWater in the pockets. When bottled water goes on sale, I buy a couple of cases and put them in the "Garage fridge" for later use.

I use filtered tap water in a pack, bottles or fold up container depending on length of hike, temperture and clothing I am wearing. I make sure to always have a few takeout salt packs with me for the longer hikes, maybe a banana or two as well. There is always bottled, filtered tap water in the truck and a few salt packs as well. If the hike is an hour or less I drink before and after. If I have a back or fanny pack I generally have at least one, maybe a few plastic bags 250ml of store bought water just in case.

I usually find myself taking a decent amount of hydrogen dioxide with me for recreational use

Are you sure you don't mean "hydrogen oxide" (H20, also known as water)? Hydrogen dioxide (H2O2) is a thick, colorless liquid with a bitter taste, usually used as a bleaching agent. I can't imagine drinking it!

Google H2O2 and you'll be surprised at what Hydrogen Dioxide or Hydrogen Peroxide (the same thing) is used for.

It's a naturally occuring substance that is also synthesized in the human body.

Some municipalities use a 35% solution instead of chlorine to treat drinking water and the FDA has approved it for use on crops. I've diluted it in water and used it as a mouthwash after dental surgery, ust don't swallow it. A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide is only 3% H2O2 and 97% distilled water, could cause stomach problems if ingested. It's also used in "Teeth Whitening" products.

Any liquid other than water in a hydro pack is inadvisable. It breeds bacteria. Also, when we were in Cuba, we would load our camelbacks about halfway with ice, then top off with water. This lasted a good 6-8 hours (once we had acclimatized), and was still cool at the end of the day. Mind you, walking all day, combat gear, and an ambient temp of 95, with 100% humidity, this was truly refreshing.

"I only use water and try to drink enough to stay ahead of the thirst curve (I made that up, but you get the idea). "

If you wait until you're thirsty, you're already beginning to dehydrate.

Do you wait until your car runs out of gas to fill the tank? Start drinking before you feel thirsty and you won't feel thirsty. You'll stay hydrated too.

Woodbutcher 68, that's what staying ahead of the curve means. In this case you drink often enough so that you don't get thirsty. I also fill my gas tank ahead of the running-out-of-gas curve.

I guess you are not familiar with the "ahead of the curve" term. Sorry, it's just something I've been using for years and I just assumed it was pretty common.

Bottom-line - drink plenty of fluids.

I use a camelbak. I do fill it with ice cubes, and it stays cool most of the day. I only put water in it. I'm happy with it, and i have no issues with my back being any more than damp, and I only really notice it after I take it off.

I have one question though, are there any ill side effects to freezing the bladders?

It really depends on the weather. In Summer when it's hot, I'll put chilled tequila in my hydration bag, whereas in Wintertime I prefer slightly warmed tequila. During those Spring and Fall months, you really can't beat just plain ol tequila.

I've heard of people actually filling their bags with water...but I have yet to meet one.

both of us were wrong. In my hurry to get finished with work i put the "di" in the wrong place. I had meant to say Dihydrogen oxide. Its other name is Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Edited by KKTH3

both of us were wrong. In my hurry to get finished with work i put the "di" in the wrong place. I had meant to say Dihydrogen oxide. Its other name is Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Actually, "hydrogen oxide" IS correct :)

I usually like to bring plenty of water (and sometimes something flavored like iced tea or lemonade), but I seriously dislike using a Camelbak. I've tried a couple different models (2 different sizes), but for some reason it was just never comfortable for me. So now I put a couple of water bottles in a fanny pack (yes, I know how uncool looking that is) and if I'm lucky, my husband will have extra water in his Camelbak to share with me, too. :(

I have one question though, are there any ill side effects to freezing the bladders?

So far no problems with freezing the bladder, and I've done it many times. I have a Platypus brand bladder and it has too small an opening for ice cubes, but I fill it half full and freeze it, then top it off right before the hike. It stays cold for several hours.

This is an interesting discussion and I appreciate the insight. I'm involved in water issues (http://www.feltonflow.org) so I'm a strong advocate in using tap water unless you have some reason to believe you need to boil the water that comes out of your tap.

If it's hot and I'm in the sun for more than a couple of hours (and it's convenient) I'll add powdered Gatorade and ice cubes to my Camelbak MULE. Shaken, not stirred.

The new Light Backpacking Blog (http://lightbackpacking.com/2006/07/13/steripen-water-purifier-review/) has a review of a lightweight water purifying device. I've got a Camelbak BFM (two three-liter bladders) that I'll dust off if I ever decide to go after that Nevada geocache that's only been found once since it was placed in 2002 or otherwise decided to go two or more days without access to the Internets or showers.

Edited by thestray

Platypus says their bladders are freezalble and boilable. Can't vouch for other mfrs.

If it's hot and I'm in the sun for more than a couple of hours (and it's convenient) I'll add powdered Gatorade and ice cubes to my Camelbak MULE. Shaken, not stirred.

Adding Gatorade, fruit juice or anything sweet can turn your bladder into a biology experiment. If you want to have an easier time keeping it clean, only use water. You can use Gatorade, ect... but you have to work a lot harder to keep it clean.

This is an interesting discussion and I appreciate the insight. I'm involved in water issues (http://www.feltonflow.org) so I'm a strong advocate in using tap water unless you have some reason to believe you need to boil the water that comes out of your tap. ....

We get regular warnings againist using our tap water for drinking due to high levels of uranium - something like 10 times the "acceptable" level. The city says it will attempt to have a "plan of action" for correcting this by December 2007. Sigh. Meanwhile they hand out up to 5 gallons of bottled water per day to each residence. Actually makes it worse to boil it.

We get regular warnings againist using our tap water for drinking due to high levels of uranium - something like 10 times the "acceptable" level. The city says it will attempt to have a "plan of action" for correcting this by December 2007. Sigh. Meanwhile they hand out up to 5 gallons of bottled water per day to each residence. Actually makes it worse to boil it.

Oh my. The sad thing is that they still make you pay for it.

The most water I carried on a hike was 8 1liter bottles in a daypack. That was for a 10-mile hike in the Appalachian mountains. It was heavy when I started, but by the time I had rock-hopped up 5 miles of canyon in 104 degree weather with 85 percent humidity... I drank it all before got back to the car.

I would only use water in a camelback, however, if you drink a lot of water, you may run the risk of heat exhaustion. This is where you lose enough electrolytes that you stop sweating. It may be a good idea to take a 16 oz bottle and some of those little single serving sports drink packets.

I haven't done any long hikes lately, but in hot weather, I keep some of the single serving sports drink around. The added advantage is that these drink powder tubes are available with artificial sweetener, and for a diabetic like myself, it's great.

Mark

i've been mountain biking with a camelbak for a long time and let me tell you, do not put anything except water and ice in it. way too hard to clean. you can bring some of these:

http://www.amino-vital.com/fast.asp

with you, they take up like no space, you just pour a small packet of powder in your mouth and wash it down with water.

I have a 3L camelbak and i only put water and vodka in it. anything else is way to hard to clean. i use it for vodka if i am going to a festival or anything like that and water when i am on a long hike. or if i am feeling brave half water half vodka <_<

You've got that backwards--more vodka = more courage.

The most water I carried on a hike was 8 1liter bottles in a daypack. That was for a 10-mile hike in the Appalachian mountains. It was heavy when I started, but by the time I had rock-hopped up 5 miles of canyon in 104 degree weather with 85 percent humidity... I drank it all before got back to the car.

Are you a fish? 8 litres for 10 mi. thats amazing lol