"oh No, Not A _________!"

I don't like micros that are incrredibly hard to find. I like people being creative, but it has it's line. A friend told me he had to find a micro that was a thumb tack on a tree. I like the bolts, but not on a machine with 50,000 bolts. I've had some micros there were so insane difficult, by the time i found them i actually wanted to take the cache, just to be mean. they're just ridiculous. Parking lot micros can be added to the list, they are normally under the light covers, and theres usually tons of people around. My last vent, is i dont like caching in the city. It's more stealth, and most cities stealth is impossible. I've had more caches, in the city, that i just couldn't find because of too many people around. But that's just me. LOL Over all, i love to cache, wish i could do it instead of work. LOL

Any cache near a playground for the middle aged white guy without kids....unless he has a dog with him that isn't of the cute and cuddly variety. Dogs seem to be very good cover! Or the cache hidden in a dark recess area that requires a blind reach....it's not the snake thing.......it's the spider thing.

Oh No, Not Another Terrorist cache. I'm not real keen on struggling with and molesting electrical panels, cable boxes, or other public equpiment that makes it look like you are trying to blow the place up. I can't help it, I'm a thirty something overweight dude who looks mean. If you saw me behind your business eyeing up the power relays, I'd call the cops too. You know who you are, the big green electrical boxes next to your local K-mart, where you tuck in a green nano, and make it a difficulty 4. How about finding a park to put a regular in? :PB)B)

O no not another

Urban micro

film canister thrown out the car window

log only

and my least favorite of all (because technically they are against the law!!) SCHOOL CACHES!!! Yes, who in their right mind would place one at a school? I've been to several. Having been a middle school teacher, you need written permision to be on school grounds at any time unless it is a public function. At least thats how it works in Cali.

Peace!

I've been following one that I'd call 'Oh, no! Not another extremely inept cache"! (Yes. I DNFed it.)

Hidden 8/26. In a major park in a major city, with thousands of muggles passing by every day. In a hollow tree on a major path. It actually lasted eight days! Longer than expected. Last found 9/3. We DNFed on 9/8.

Note by owner on 9/8: "Too many DNFs for a very easy to find cache. I will have to replace this cache. Sorry. :-("

Note by owner 9/27: "This cache has been DISABLED temporarily. I will replace it very soon. Sorry for any inconvenience. What's this about the Virgin Mary taking up residence where the cache was??????"

Disabled by reviewer 11/21: "This cache was brought to my attention by a concerned geocacher as being in trouble. The cache seems to have been plundered and needs maintenance."

Yes. I know. There are thousands of caches like this out there. What is incredible is that this cache owner still thinks that it was a good hide! (Okay. I'm surprised that it lasted eight days. :D When we looked for it, a jogger had left her backpack right under the hollow in the tree. Some to think of it, the jogger is lucky that her stuff was still there!)

Ah, well. I just like to bang my snout against the wall from time to time. But, what was she thinking?!? (The cache owner, that is. It's been missing for three months!)

Round here there is plenty of woodland with alot of tree stumps and fallen trees lying around from the storms that hit Southern England in 1987, it's not fun when the tree cover is making your signal bounce around all over the place and the clue you have is "fallen tree" or "under a log". The only way I manage to find them is by walking backwards and forwards for up to an hour trying to get a decent signal, or checking every log, stump and fallen tree I see!

The other caches I hate are those that are placed in areas of dense stinging nettles, why place a cache that is inaccessible for half the year due to tall stinging plants?

Oh No, not another thoughtless cache placed just because there isn’t one within 150 feet.

Show me something, take me somewhere, and make me think.

Don’t just put something somewhere just because there isn’t one there yet. Maybe there isn’t one there because the area just does not deserve one. I don’t think anyone here (but I could be wrong) gets inspired by looking at a freeway or a gas station guardrail.

Give us something that after we find it we will want to talk about it. Put it somewhere where you would like someone to take you.

Maybe I have it all wrong, and it is just about how many stars you can get on your Google map. If that is the case, please tell me now, because I have it all wong.

"Off Your Rocker" series micro. It's a Cracker Barrel restaurant, fer Christ sakes! Who cares?!

And that goes for any micros hidden at businesses for seemingly no reason. I understand you have a micro burning a hole in your pocket and you want to place it as soon as possible, but put some thought into its placement please. Placing a micro in a lighpost skirt at your favorite local Wal-Mart may seem like a good idea at the time, but please refrain from doing so.

I hate caches placed in a wall of stacked rocks. <_<

I hate caches placed in a large flower bed of ivy, especially in front of City Hall and the Police Station. ;)

I hate caches placed in a sacred memorial to honor those that sacrificed their lives for our country. :P :P :)

I hate caches placed indoors. I came across two of these together. One in a sporting goods store, the other in a bank. :)

A puzzle cache that's missing. I realize this is my mistake for taking the time to solve the puzzle and not checking the previous logs but at least archive it or do some maintenance.

Another would be a hider that has too many hidden to do any maintenance at all. After receiving a few emails or logs that are suspect I look in on my caches. Once I take the time to check one of them I check them all.

Not another cache that is a summer only cache without mentioning it on the cache page a decon container ziptied to the bottom of a tree in a valley that has 621 inches of snow year to date is not year round friendly.

not another cache from ******** who bought 20 nano's and put everyone within a mile of his house and all on the back of stop signs and gave them names like "obey me"

there is also a big problem with bison's five miles off the roadway in spruce tree's

No kidding on the needle in a haystack caches. One was just published in our area and it said if you find the bushes, you'll find the cache. Yeah, a string of red tips 100 feet long and 15 feet wide, dense enough that you need a flashlight to see. It was a small and not a micro, but still hard to find. Usually someone finds caches in our area within several hours of publication, but this one took almost a whole day, and the FTF said he spent an hour and a half looking.

What I hate the most are caches which require you poke around in shrubs, bushes, etc... Many cachers are not very careful and the plants suffer from their carelessness. I'm sure the property owners really appreciate a heard of elephants tromping through their landscaping.

So the wife and I are driving along and I inquire about a cache appearing on the gpsr. She looks it up on the pda and says, "Oh, noooo! Not a cache owners name) cache!"

Well known for tossing 35mm behind logs, not maintaining or replacing missing caches.

We usually pass them up unless brand new or someone found it within the last week.

You said it!!!! "Oh no, NOT A (cache owners name) cache!" I recently went searching for a few of these types and had to log several DNF's. Come to find out I wasn't the only one!!!!! This person has hides in the three digits and obviously has the time to hide but no time to maintain. :)

So the wife and I are driving along and I inquire about a cache appearing on the gpsr. She looks it up on the pda and says, "Oh, noooo! Not a cache owners name) cache!"

Well known for tossing 35mm behind logs, not maintaining or replacing missing caches.

We usually pass them up unless brand new or someone found it within the last week.

You said it!!!! "Oh no, NOT A (cache owners name) cache!" I recently went searching for a few of these types and had to log several DNF's. Come to find out I wasn't the only one!!!!! This person has hides in the three digits and obviously has the time to hide but no time to maintain. :unsure:

Also the ones that have caches about 170 feet apart everywhere, you find some full of water, and when you log it you see three or four others noting the same. I am now getting in the habit of making a needs maintenance note on those caches, because it is obvious that the cache owners have to many out, and don't take the time to read the postings.

oh no not another cacher complaining about a "bad cache" quit complaining and get out there and find caches for crying out loud!!!!

Ditto.. Is there a cache out there that can make everyone happy?? Against my better judgement, I've been following this LAME thread.

Can't comment on the snow as we get a few inches every few years or so, but around here people seem to locate caches in areas where flash flooding occurs during spring and summer storms.

One cache we attempted to find probably wound up in the Gulf of Mexico. The ground we were walking on had a foot or more of compacted leaves, branches, etc... and debris was caught on tree limbs a good 6-8 feet above the ground. The cache owner finally took a look and disabled it for good.

Oh no, not a another bush cache or grass cache! I don't like digging around in bushes or grass to find a tiny micro, those drive me bonkers.

And Oh no, not another puzzle cache. I HATE puzzle caches, because I feel like...I am a smart person I should be able to figure this puzzle out, then I look at the puzzle and I have NO clue how to solve it, then I go onto the next puzzle cache, same thing, and then every puzzle cache stumps me, not a single one can I figure out, so I wind up feeling like the dumbest person on the world because I can't figure out those d*** puzzle caches!

Ah, but luckily there are lots of traditional caches to be found instead.

Ah, but luckily there are lots of traditional caches to be found instead.

Yep, and as a premium member you can set up pocket queries to exclude puzzle caches and micros (which are one size of a traditional cache, by the way). Unfortunately, you cannot filter out just the micros you don't like, it is all or nothing.

Any cache near a playground for the middle aged white guy without kids....unless he has a dog with him that isn't of the cute and cuddly variety. Dogs seem to be very good cover! Or the cache hidden in a dark recess area that requires a blind reach....it's not the snake thing.......it's the spider thing.

The dogs work well as cover. For me alot of times I'll take one of my pitbulls with me so people see man walking dog but not nice dog(most of my guys are big babies) so they'll give me a wide berth. Also agree with the spider thing. I worry about black widows and brown recluses, both are common in my area.

Geopitbull

Yep, and as a premium member you can set up pocket queries to exclude puzzle caches and micros (which are one size of a traditional cache, by the way). Unfortunately, you cannot filter out just the micros you don't like, it is all or nothing.

I would like to exclude puzzle caches in my pocket query and cannot figure it out - would you mind explaining how to do that? I can find a way to choose all sorts of different types, but not a way to exclude puzzle caches.

Thanks in advance.

Oh no, not another cache that is in a feild of Artichoke Thistles! :( Now these caches were probably hidden in the fall or winter, when the thistles wilted & died, and walking over to the cache site would take 20 seconds to get to it. But with the artichoke thistles completely covering a 20 yard radius in the spring time, it now takes 45 minutes just to manuver thru these prickley (chest high)plants. :ph34r: There is at least 4 hides that we are going to do in the late fall, just because of the thistles.

I would like to exclude puzzle caches in my pocket query and cannot figure it out - would you mind explaining how to do that? I can find a way to choose all sorts of different types, but not a way to exclude puzzle caches.

Thanks in advance.

Actually you cannot exclude just puzzle caches, just the category "unknown caches", which will include all caches with alternate logging requirements as well as puzzle caches. Open your pocket query and select which types you do want to see, don't check "Unknown Caches". Make sure you check the radio button for "of selected types."

Edited by Klatch

Oh, no! Not another

medium sized tubawear container with surprises inside for finders.

This one has me a bit worried! ;) What do tubas wear?!? I'm hoping it's just the strangest misspelling of 'Tupperware' that I've ever seen. And, do I really want to find a tubawear container with surprises??? I'll wait for someone else to FTF it.

They've all been said....In order.

1. Poison Ivy - Personally, I think they should be illegal.

2. Anything smaller than a 30 cal ammo box in the woods, unless it's a creative twist with some solid hints or part of a gimmick hide, etc. I just don't get it. Walk into in area with 25 stumps each containing 50 woodpecker holes, the container size is unknown and it ends up being a bison tube tucked in a hole...Yey!

3. Micros in a bush hunt/Bison in a sea of HUGE pine trees.

But it really does come down to a personal choice thing. I'm still exploring why I cache but so far it's this, in order:

1. Take me to an interesting spot, even if I've been there before. It doesn't have to be some climatic once in a lifetime moment but please don't take me to the dead end of a road to find a keyhold on a guard rail.

2. Make me think for a bit. It doesn't have to be long, a couple minutes or more is fine.

3. The challenge of finding the container.

Some really like the challenge of finding the container and maybe that's why they like finding a bison hidden in the woods, but me, I'd rather find the ammo can and move on to the next interesting area.

However, poison ivy, I just don't get. Even if you've never got it, I've heard countless times of people being immune to it for years and then one day they get it. Your time may come and then it's 3 weeks of hell.

I have two problem cache types. One are those dang pine tree hides. Seems that just about anytime there is a cache in a pine tree, it has to be a micro. Yes, I have found some nice big caches hanging in the branches, but micros? Caches are meant to be found, not a needle in a haystack. Micros are fine, but they have their place. Secondly, I don't not like these, but I seem to have problems in cemetaries. I love the peacefulness and the history that one can find in a cemetary, however I don't think those spirits like me. A good 90% of the caches I look for in a cemetary, has me going to every corner in it. My gps will take me to gz and when I start to search, all of a sudden it tells me that I need to go 40 feet this way or that way. As I get close to the "new" gz, it sends me twice as far in the direction I just came from. Now I go a good hundred yards away and start all over making sure that I go real slow. When I get near gz, it happens all over again.

But it really does come down to a personal choice thing. I'm still exploring why I cache but so far it's this, in order:

1. Take me to an interesting spot, even if I've been there before. It doesn't have to be some climatic once in a lifetime moment but please don't take me to the dead end of a road to find a keyhold on a guard rail.

2. Make me think for a bit. It doesn't have to be long, a couple minutes or more is fine.

3. The challenge of finding the container.

I agree. I also like the caches that make you trust the GPSr. One local hider loves evergreen trees. They are not really too common here, but if there is one evergreen tree in the woods, the cache will probably be there because people are copycats.

One local guy hid a cache right next to a huge evergreen tree -- and judging by the paths and the GC logs, everyone looks there. However, its hidden maybe 5 feet away in open terrain under some camo. My GPSr kept leading me to the right spot, but I figured it had to be the tree. After looking a bit, I used the force and let the GPSr lead me right to it. That was a good hide and it made me think.