Maopsend Topo Canada Problems

I have a new eXplorist 600 and the MapSend Topo Canada 1.00. I installed it on my laptop but it will not run. I then installed it on my server and it ran. My laptop is more powerful than my server and more than meets the requirements on the MapSend Box. Is there a trick that I am missing to make this run on my laptop?

Anyone else with a similar problem?

Thanks

I don't know if the same deal applies to Topo, but DirectRoute is enough of a resource hog that it may not run unless some background programs are shut down to free up resources.

Try shutting down your antivirus program to see if it runs. If topo starts up, then you may want to see if some other programs in combination might free up enough.

I don't know if the same deal applies to Topo, but DirectRoute is enough of a resource hog that it may not run unless some background programs are shut down to free up resources.

Try shutting down your antivirus program to see if it runs. If topo starts up, then you may want to see if some other programs in combination might free up enough.

I have MapSend Topo3D v1.0 and DirectRoute v2.0 both loaded locally on my laptop I use. I can run the Topo3D software with no problems (other than the CD requirement which can be worked around). When I try to run DirectRoute, it is very picky about what else can be running at the same time. My system has 2GB of physical RAM, and more than 1.2GB of that is free right now, and I still can not run DirectRoute without rebooting with all my startup applications disabled. I have already spent several hours on the phone with the Magellan support crew in India, explaining to them that it is unacceptable to require my PC be vulnerable to viruses and hackers just to run their software, not to mention requiring me to reboot my computer twice (once before running MapSend and once more after). They basically refused to do anything else for me because the software will work if I disable all other software on my computer, claiming that the problem is with some other software (ignoring the fact that everything else works and plays well together).

I have seen similar problems before when software developers never expected anyone to have that much memory (or disk space) and think that you have negative free memory (or disk space) because you have too much free and you have overflowed the space that they thought would be the max that anyone would ever have. Poor programming practices, and it is evident form their support response about not doing anything to fix it because they feel the reboot workaround is OK. I am toying with the idea of finding out just how much more memory needs to be used in order to get Mapsend to think the amount of free memory is now positive...

I have MapSend Topo3D v1.0 and DirectRoute v2.0 both loaded locally on my laptop I use. I can run the Topo3D software with no problems (other than the CD requirement which can be worked around). When I try to run DirectRoute, it is very picky about what else can be running at the same time. My system has 2GB of physical RAM, and more than 1.2GB of that is free right now, and I still can not run DirectRoute without rebooting with all my startup applications disabled. I have already spent several hours on the phone with the Magellan support crew in India, explaining to them that it is unacceptable to require my PC be vulnerable to viruses and hackers just to run their software, not to mention requiring me to reboot my computer twice (once before running MapSend and once more after). They basically refused to do anything else for me because the software will work if I disable all other software on my computer, claiming that the problem is with some other software (ignoring the fact that everything else works and plays well together).

I have seen similar problems before when software developers never expected anyone to have that much memory (or disk space) and think that you have negative free memory (or disk space) because you have too much free and you have overflowed the space that they thought would be the max that anyone would ever have. Poor programming practices, and it is evident form their support response about not doing anything to fix it because they feel the reboot workaround is OK. I am toying with the idea of finding out just how much more memory needs to be used in order to get Mapsend to think the amount of free memory is now positive...

The CD work around you refer to. Is it the same one as for the Topo US? If not could you enlighten me aqs to what has to be done. Thanks.

The CD work around you refer to. Is it the same one as for the Topo US? If not could you enlighten me aqs to what has to be done. Thanks.

Mapsend v1.x and v2.0 can work around the CD "problem" using the same method, but it requires you to use a hex editor on the executable file. I have used it and it does work. If you can't find it through a Google search, send me a message and I will dig it up for you... (BTW, using this method, I have also confirmed that you can install from backup copies of your CD)...

I have Topo Canada v 1.00 and Direct Route NA v 2.0 on my laptop, a dell insiron 6000, and have no problems at all. Have also ran both with an external cd rom. Don't know what to tell you.

I have Topo 3D USA v1.0, and DirectRoute NA v2.0 both loaded on my ThinkPad, and I can only use the DirectRoute if I reboot and don't load most of my startup applications. My system has plenty of free resources, but MapSend (DirectRoute) doesn't think I have enough free for it to run. Mapsend will start run a few seconds, then exit. As I said before, it is just poor design on the part of the developer who wrote the program since I have more than 1GB of physical RAM free in my system when I try to run the application.