Mushroom Hunting - Geocaching Side-mission

markp99

With all of the rain we've had here in the northeast this spring/summer, I am amazed by the dozens of varieties of mushrooms I am seeing on the trails. I have no clue what I am looking at: species, category, poisonous, etc. They all look unique to me, with very few repeat sightings. I am intrigued (just looking, no touching or eating).

I had the idea to attempt to categorize, photograph and log the various mushrooms I've encountered out on the trails; kind of a side-mission as I make my way to those geocaches.

- Are there just too many types/categories of mushrooms to make this a reasonable goal?

- What are the common characteristics one would look for:

- - Size

- - Shape

- - Color

- - Texture

- Does any one know of any good field guides to mushroom (northeast varieties, in particular)? I thought it mught be very cool to have an electronic copy I could download to my PDA to assist with identification in the field (using characteristic indexes to narrow down the identification), and stock photo's to flip thru on the PDA. Further, if I could log my find on my PDA, I'd have a complete solution.

Anyone share this interest in mushrooms?

mushroom.jpg

markp99

Edited by markp99

Hi there nice to meet a fellow fungophile :) I absolutely adore mushroom hunting!!! I love to eat them and just look for them to identify them ...they are amazing!!! fact is it is a sickness for me! I have been identifying and picking mushrooms since I was a little kid ...many a day even on my way to work I will lurch my car to the side of the road because a shroom caught my eye!! sometimes I end up with dinner that way!

I still carry a regular book I just love Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora .(this is a rather large book so I leave it in my car unless it is a short hike.....my pages are tabbed and worn I have notes in them..I dont think I can do that on my pocket pc....when I go out on long hunts I usually just stick his smaller book All That the Rain Promises it fits right into butt pack is is small, quite comprehensive and fun to read!

you could try emailing The North American Mycological Association ...or if you live in the Puget Sound area contact www.psms.org they have a mushroom show every year that is very informative they should have some download info...also you could google "mushroom clubs" and see if there is one close to you where you could attend a meeting maybe and get some info from members?

I love technology but when it comes to mushroom hunting I have to have my worn well loved books...I must have over 50 books and guides for mushroom hunting but David Arora is my guru

we are sooooo lucky here in the NW when it comes to mushrooms that is for sure :rolleyes: I am excited about geocaching because I can really see how well the two will work together!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss

oh and the best way to learn enough about mushrooms to be safe and able to enjoy a most wonderful food is first learn the deadly ones!!! Once you can id all the deadly shrooms in your area (and we have very few deadly ones in the NW so it is fairly easy actually) then you can learn to find the ones you want to eat!... I think having an elder mentor is wonderful and you can find one at a local club for sure... as the saying goes "there are bold mushroom hunters and old mushroom hunters but there are no old bold mushroom hunters" find an older hunter who will teach you ...I am getting older and feel very confident in my skill at ID'ing ...but still depend on my mentors when I have a question!!! there really is nothing to fear except a lack of knowledge :rolleyes:

Do mushroom patches tend to stay in teh same place year over year? That could be a good Waymarking category...

http://www.Waymarking.com/

I believe they do, for the most part. I hung out for a time with a bunch of ex-pat Russians who were real mushroom-hunting enthusiasts, and they would talk about certain prize spots as being closely guarded secrets, even handed down from generation-to-generation.

From my own experience, I know exactly where I can always find a profusion of edible mushrooms--in the Safeway produce aisle :rolleyes:

Do mushroom patches tend to stay in teh same place year over year? That could be a good Waymarking category...

http://www.Waymarking.com/

some do there are places I return to year after year with good luck ......some don't depends and most will not have predictable flushes year after year there are so many variables that determine the seasons that I don't think I would use them as a sure thing just an added bonus on your efforts :)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss

"There are old mushroom pickers and bold mushroom pickers, but very few old and bold mushroom pickers."

I liked the one my wife found listed in one mushroom book she has. It's a two-part poison. It's only poisonous if you have the mushroom and alchohol in your system at the same time. Pretty weird!

Edited by Ferreter5

"There are old mushroom pickers and bold mushroom pickers, but very few old and bold mushroom pickers."

I liked the one my wife found listed in one mushroom book she has. It's a two-part poison. It's only poisonous if you have the mushroom and alchohol in your system at the same time. Pretty weird!

Ooohhh the alcoholic killer mushroom!!!! For your beer drinking friends.

I LOOOOVE to eat wild mushrooms and would never ever buy them in a store it is just not the same!!! MULE EARS those are great pics if you want I can ID them all for you :)

Sure--that'd be great! The red one is amanita muscaria, right? (I can Google with the best of 'em.)

I LOOOOVE to eat wild mushrooms and would never ever buy them in a store it is just not the same!!! MULE EARS those are great pics if you want I can ID them all for you :)

Sure--that'd be great! The red one is amanita muscaria, right? (I can Google with the best of 'em.)

absolutely right on that one that is the Alice in Wonderland mushroom B) do not lick the top of it or taste it ever...or you will go to a very sickening wonderland

I want to double check the others when I get off work and will post them...I am almost positive I know what they are but I love to use my book so I when I get home I will do that...any excuse to look at beautiful mushroom pics!!!

absolutely right on that one that is the Alice in Wonderland mushroom :( do not lick the top of it or taste it ever...or you will go to a very sickening wonderland

I want to double check the others when I get off work and will post them...I am almost positive I know what they are but I love to use my book so I when I get home I will do that...any excuse to look at beautiful mushroom pics!!!

Yep, I think that's what I searched on to get the real name. There are some real psycho-pharmocological thrill-seekers out there! Believe you me, I'm conserving what few brain and liver cells I have left. I wouldn't waste 'em on a 'shroom.

Ohh, I LOVE mushrooms! they are so beautiful. But I am not confident enough in my amatuer identifications to eat what I find, so I leave them where they are and just photograph them. Here is my webshots page of my best mushroom pics (Indiana and Illinois.) If you click my user ID, you'll also find albums of geocaching pics too.

Mushrooms of Indiana

But I did take that Giant Puffball mushroom home and eat it. Yowza! No mistaking that for anything else! It was 42" circumference and 6.5 lbs! Took it to work so others could helm me eat it. Fried up strips of it in butter, and made a lovely puffball chicken soup.

absolutely right on that one that is the Alice in Wonderland mushroom :D do not lick the top of it or taste it ever...or you will go to a very sickening wonderland

Yep, I think that's what I searched on to get the real name. There are some real psycho-pharmocological thrill-seekers out there! Believe you me, I'm conserving what few brain and liver cells I have left. I wouldn't waste 'em on a 'shroom.

Ya the ones that turn blue when you pick them can make for an interesting hike. :D

While at Disney World Animal Kingdom one year I saw fields of Psilocybe Cubensis in the game area. Talk about making it the most magical place on earth. :o

this has to be one of the coolest threads i've seen. every spring in my part of the counrty people go crazy for morels. i just love them! i hunt them, and caches at the same time during that time of the year. my mother has books and posters that help me on my mushroom hunting. good to see mushroom hunters in force!