Cemetery Caches

Keruso

wow, i never expected that this topic to keep going and to know that a lot of people like cemetery caches. i may be having some problems with my cache. Team Rambo claims that they met the pastor and someone else at my cache and i put on my page to be STEALTHY as you can be seen the entire time you do my cache

I had done a couple of cemetary caches when one day my wife went with me when we went to a cemetary as part of a cache machine. She thought it was a little wierd at first but soon we were both reading and enjoying what we learned. After finding some really old cemetaries we both enjoy them a lot. It's not even really about the cache, but paying our respects at these places, especially to those pioneers of our past. It is just another way that caching takes you to places that you would either not know about or go to even if you did.

Be it the cache descriptions, the writings of those who find them or inscriptions left by loved ones on the tombstones of their family. We never leave a cemetary without having learned something about the history of the area where we are.

I think cemetary caches are great

IMHO

Interesting topic,

Ive done a couple of boneyard caches; a few actually. And the are all memorable and or intriguing in some way. Some have been beautiful like the virtual in the woodlawn cemetery in The Bronx, others bizzare in cental NJ. I must say, I like them. I do however take great pains to be respectful of the setting. Ive also found that they are good for birdwatching too for all you ornithologists out there.

Edited by viking66

I think that cemetary caches are neat. Especially if they are around a old cemetary. I wouldn't place one in the cemetary, but maybe around the surrounding area! I'm still new to this.........what are the rules on placing a cache near a cemetary? Thanks for any input!!

I think of cemeteries (ALL cemeteries) as historical sites...and the "rules" for geocaching say not to put a cache on a historical site; they imply you can put one NEAR it. Now cemeteries are designed as memorials so there's no point to them if the memorials can't be read...therefore multis or puzzle caches could include clues with answers found on headstones.

Much of what I just said is opinion, but it's developed from the rules and from reading a couple of the geocaching books that have been published.

The hubby and I both love cemetery caches. We have even discussed having our tombstone designed to hide a cache when the time comes. Wonder if it would get approved?

It really should. And this would be an exception to "my rule" about not placing a cache in a historical site....because you had to PAY for those spaces. So putting a cache there would have owner approval and I can't believe they wouldn't approve it. And cache maintenance would mean that your kids or heirs would have to visit you...:)

wow, i never expected that this topic to keep going and to know that a lot of people like cemetery caches. i may be having some problems with my cache. Team Rambo claims that they met the pastor and someone else at my cache and i put on my page to be STEALTHY as you can be seen the entire time you do my cache

What's the problem? Muggles happen. I would fully expect to meet a pastor if I were hunting for a cache in a church's adjoining cemetery. I expect it would be a very pleasant conversation, and that I'd learn a bit of local history. Eventually I will get across the river to find your cache. I'd welcome the opportunity to meet the pastor if he was around.

I really enjoy cemetery caches. I was able to find 3 really cool places near Nashville when I was visiting my family. 2 were historic cemeteries that had some really awesome stones (I'm a sucker for things like this I suppose) and there was even a walkng tour of the cemetery. I didn't do the tour, but I bought the book so that I could read about the stones when I got home. (I took pics of the stones so I'd remember which one I was reading abuot.) The 3rd was where Johnny Cash and his family was buried. Just a nice cemetery and an interesting find. I always find the way stones are different from the 'north' vs. the 'south' really fascinating.

Now, as for placing one in a cemetary. My uncle and I both talked about having one built into our tombstones. Not sure if that will happen, but we did discuss it. Also-who do you need to talk to for permission to place one? I'd love to place one at the cemetery where my mom resides. She was a huge history buff, and knowing the history of the location, I think it would be quite fitting to place one there. Any suggestions?

Thanks for this topic-I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who loves checking out cemeteries! :blink:

I enjoy the cemetery caches since they're easy and normally secluded. I wouldn't like it if all the caches were in cemeteries, but it's nice to be able to encourage myself after a bunch of DNF's in a row by going after a nice, hopefully easy, and secluded cemetery cache. It has an almost soothing effect on me. :huh:

Edited by E-trexer

I appreciate cemetery caches and letterboxes because it brings people to cemeteries

and helps bring awareness to cemeteries that might be in danger.

In danger? How so? :anitongue:

Cemeteries are for the living. Cemeteries that are for the living look like this:

hebroncem.jpg

frenchcem.jpg

Cemeteries that are for the dead start out looking like this:

eckertcem.jpg

Then they look like this. This city disinterred "all" of the cemetery's

pioneer burials in 1943 and relocated them, but this was before there

was technology to locate them. In building the school they disclocated

many, and in just a small school addition jostled 13 loose. How many

more must be left?

The agreement to leave the rest of this as natural parkland has recently

been recinded to build tennis courts. I have heard no objections or

plans for further disintering.:

channingcem.jpg

channingcem1.jpg

And then you hit the big leagues and they build the New Jersey

Turnpike over the top of you.

secaucus.jpg

New Jersey Turnpike News

Kids, go play in the cemetery. Complain when it gets run down. And scream like

heck when they want to pave it over. The dead can't speak for themselves, and

lack of use is what kills cemeteries.

I appreciate cemetery caches and letterboxes because it brings people to cemeteries

and helps bring awareness to cemeteries that might be in danger.

In danger? How so? :anitongue:

Cemeteries are for the living. Cemeteries that are for the living look like this:

hebroncem.jpg

frenchcem.jpg

Cemeteries that are for the dead start out looking like this:

eckertcem.jpg

That may be true, but people are just dying to get in! :laughing:

Then they look like this. This city disinterred "all" of the cemetery's

pioneer burials in 1943 and relocated them, but this was before there

was technology to locate them. In building the school they disclocated

many, and in just a small school addition jostled 13 loose. How many

more must be left?

The agreement to leave the rest of this as natural parkland has recently

been recinded to build tennis courts. I have heard no objections or

plans for further disintering.:

channingcem.jpg

channingcem1.jpg

secaucus.jpg

New Jersey Turnpike News

That may be true but people are just dying to get in! Edited by zuni moon

have any ghost sightings in your house? anything move?

no and no. :laughing:

My husband and I both have close family who are deceased. The house we live in is not an "old family home". However, if someone in either family is having serious health problems we are usually given a "heads up" by late family. If it's his family, a photo or picture will fall off the wall without the string/wire breaking or nail coming out. If it's my side, I will smell scents that I associate with either my maternal grandmother or my father. Also, when we first moved in here, our cat watch something we couldn't see come down the stairs, pass in front of us through the living room and into the dining room. No raised hackles or growling. Have no idea who/what that was! :anitongue:

Edited by zuni moon

in my old house, we never had anything (that i had "seen"). then we move, and lots of things happen, pictures fall (and its been only one picture), ive been seeing shadows,movement out of the corner of my eye, my cat (when we had one) even watched something move. oh yeah, forgot about the orbs i see at times

A cemetary cache near here enlightened me on some local history, there is a historical marker just about dead (no pun intended) center. Like others say, be respectful. This means not hiding on markers, or inside crypts, unless, like above, the headstone is made to be a cache.

Ooh, go to Waymarking.com and waymark the historical marker!

I've done only one cemetery cache; it was a virtual multi that also included a stop at a really cool landmark. I have to say that it was the cache I've learned the most about local history from. Loved it! I don't think I'd be comfortable looking for a physical cache inside a cemetery, though.

Edited by MollyGSP & Me

While you are there, doing a cemetery cache, do a public service as well.

Go to Find A Grave Website

See if anyone is looking for photographs of relatives in that cemetery.

Write down their names & info ito look for them.

Mark the coordinates of the cemetery. Do a reading in the middle.

Photograph the oldest headstones that you can.

File that info on Find a Grave.

Stones are deteriorating faster than they can be recorded. Do your

part in digitally preserving them.

Tracy St. Claire

tasaint on geocaching

tasaint@comcast.net on findagrave

Edited by tasaint

the oldest headstone ive seen in the graveyard is from 1802. my cache is disabled now (sorry Leps) cause my multis were not waterproof. i was hopeing to get my cache back up by Halloween, but unless i cant go shopping for anything waterproof, its not gonna happen..........

secaucus.jpg

New Jersey Turnpike News

It's New Jersey, so it's okay to bash?!? Shallow. Have you considered reading the links you provided?

I'll ignore your rather irreverent comment about kids playing in cemeteries. That's just gross.

1) So, if we read carefully, the entire cemetery was removed. And with care and consideration. You would prefer that a cemetery inhibit progress? This certainly was not the first cemetery moved in the name of progress. And it will not be the last.

2) If you actually choose to read the links povided (Why bother if it spoils a joke?).... The cemetery was not removed by or for the New Jersey Turnpike! New Jersey Transit, part of the New Jersey Department of Transportation, solidified a plan to unite the (previously privately owned) rail systems in New Jersey. The Secaucus Transfer Station is the result. One can now get almost anywhere in New Jersey served by NJ Transit, by transferring at Secaucus. We call it a progress! It has been great for the environment, an for commuters.

It should be noted, that despite your post, children are permitted to play in the Secaucus Transfer Station! It should also be noted that the section of the Turnpike adjacent to the Secaucus Transfer Station is elevated. While the land underneath might well be prohibited from trespass, no children playing there will be run over. I did a cache that required hiking under the Pike, and was not run over!

3) Lastly, if you're unfortunate enough to be buried in the Meadowlands in Secaucus, you're in H E Double Toothpicks already, and ain't nobody gonna visit you anyway.

I realize that bashing New Jersey is irresistible. But, hey, I've lived here a long time, and I love it!

And, why bother let facts get in the way of telling a bad joke? But it is sad that you didn't even bother reading your own links.

I know a lot about what I speak. I am active on Saving Graves and Find A Grave and I spreak from the heart. I meant no disrespect to you or your state -- the home of my in-laws.

I was sincere when I said kids, go play in cemeteries. If more kids played in cemeteries, as mine do, there would be more traffic, more use, and fewer people eyeing the land as just wasted space.

I was not bashing NJ in particular, it was just the example I selected. I did not realize that NJ citizens had such thin skins. The land use in NJ is no worse (or better) than any state that I know of, including my own, Illinois. The fact that the bodies were relocated was in itself unusual. I support land reclamation from cemeteries when there is no other land choice, like my nearby O'Hare. In visiting St. Johannes there, I really couldn't imagine a less peaceful place to spend eternity. I was just making a point -- USE cemeteries. Visit them often. Play in them and picnic in them and do not be afraid to geocache in them, respectfully. The opposite -- giving them a wide berth -- results in way less respect.

In the Secaucus example, the problem with complete reinterment of cemeteries is that it cannot be done. It is not an exact science -- bodies are always left behind even when sexton's records exist, and when they don't -- as in a potter's field case -- you must deal with the sonar ground imaging and other technologies. When this was done at the school in the earlier photos (of my post) the technology found 8 bodies. 13 were actual dug up in that space. BTW -- this was in a cemetery that was "completely reinterred". People will be left there, it is the sad truth. I do not know enough about the site to know if other choices could have been made -- going through neighborhoods, or parkland, or other choices -- or if it was like O'Hare and there was no other option. Regardless -- bodies will be left behind, and that is the controversy, except among those who believe you can only be risen to heaven from where you were originally buried.

Again, no offense offered. I feel strongly that cemeteries should be respected but also used. I also think that the NJ turnpike should be used (and NJ caches, whereever they may be!).

Peace!

Tracy St Claire

..clip

2) If you actually choose to read the links povided (Why bother if it spoils a joke?).... The cemetery was not removed by or for the New Jersey Turnpike! New Jersey Transit, part of the New Jersey Department of Transportation, solidified a plan to unite the (previously privately owned) rail systems in New Jersey. The Secaucus Transfer Station is the result. One can now get almost anywhere in New Jersey served by NJ Transit, by transferring at Secaucus. We call it a progress! It has been great for the environment, an for commuters.

It should be noted, that despite your post, children are permitted to play in the Secaucus Transfer Station! It should also be noted that the section of the Turnpike adjacent to the Secaucus Transfer Station is elevated. While the land underneath might well be prohibited from trespass, no children playing there will be run over. I did a cache that required hiking under the Pike, and was not run over!

....clip

I realize that bashing New Jersey is irresistible. But, hey, I've lived here a long time, and I love it!

And, why bother let facts get in the way of telling a bad joke? But it is sad that you didn't even bother reading your own links.

Did YOU read the articles? The entire thing was about the potter's field cemetery, about 3500

bodies, being reinterred for the Secaucus station. Including ramps for the NJ Turnpike. The first

sentences were about how they dug up some bodies on construction of a turnpike ramp. Are you

splitting hairs about the ramps/station and the pike itself? :D

I hate it when people who accuse me of not reading the articles don't read the articles.

Tracy

Edited by tasaint

As a history enthusiast I love them as long as they are done respectfully. Most I've done are in a tree, a wooded area at the back of the cemetery, , near a war memorial (not an individual's), or a fenceline.

Only one out of the 15 or so that I have done has been ok in that regard. There is one small 19th century cemetery in the middle of the KC metro area. It was an interesting cemetery in that it had one child's grave and about 20 some graves marked simply "unknown." (Also had about 20 some other marked graves but the one was out by itself). The micro was located at the base of the child's headstone. Just being on the headstone I thought it a little inappropriate. There were plenty of other places in that small cemetery for it to have been placed.

I have one in a 19th century cemetery here in the northern part of IN. So far everyone likes it and it's had no complaints considering it has only been found about 4 times i think, it's still pretty new yet. It's in a hollow tree called Hollow History. My daughter really wanted to hide one there because there are 2 CSA soldiers buried there. The Spirit Quest tour takes you to see a lot of interesting things too. Our kids love them too.

cemetary caches creep me out hey do you know Y they put fences around grave yards? because people are just dieing to get in :tired: well anyway ive seen a few old ones if they are in a cemetary they usually arnt disturbed like anything else in a grave yard. ive done a few benchmarks in grave yards. plus arnt cemetaries private property?

:mad: A few years ago the "Smokey Mountain Extreme Team" put out a cache called the Grave Yard Shift. This cache took people thru many different cemetaries, some very old and some not so old. It is surprising what you can learn from the dead. After a few weeks the cache ended on a October night in the middle of pisgah national forest. Once the three who finally completed the cache arrived at final cords they were met by some very mysterious "folks" who sat them by a fire and commenced to question them on their exploits. After answering the questions they were treated to a feast of burgers and beer on that cold wet night. I would like to thank the Smokey Mountain Extreme Team, for a fine cache that will be remembered forever.

cemetary caches creep me out hey do you know Y they put fences around grave yards? because people are just dieing to get in :) well anyway ive seen a few old ones if they are in a cemetary they usually arnt disturbed like anything else in a grave yard. ive done a few benchmarks in grave yards. plus arnt cemetaries private property?

I have a cache next to a forgotten slave cemetary...When the local lake was made many cemetarys were moved...I looked for this site for 3 weeks and finally found it within 2 miles of my house

...Ive posted a short history lesson on the cache page...There area is very over grown and it seems only cachers know the location and NO vandelism has occured since placing the cache...

I have a cache next to a forgotten slave cemetary...When the local lake was made many cemetarys were moved...I looked for this site for 3 weeks and finally found it within 2 miles of my house. [...] Ive posted a short history lesson on the cache page...There area is very over grown and it seems only cachers know the location and NO vandelism has occured since placing the cache...

That's the kind of thing that genaologist would love to hear about! Are there any stones with names on them? The folks here would love to hear from you!

This is somethig I don't understand. If you believe that there is nothing wrong with a cemetery cache and you're not being disrespectful of the residents of the cemetery, why would you need to hide what you are doing? Being stealthy implies that you are doing something wrong.

I think that cemetary caches are neat. Especially if they are around a old cemetary. I wouldn't place one in the cemetary, but maybe around the surrounding area! I'm still new to this.........what are the rules on placing a cache near a cemetary? Thanks for any input!!

I think of cemeteries (ALL cemeteries) as historical sites...and the "rules" for geocaching say not to put a cache on a historical site; they imply you can put one NEAR it. Now cemeteries are designed as memorials so there's no point to them if the memorials can't be read...therefore multis or puzzle caches could include clues with answers found on headstones.

Much of what I just said is opinion, but it's developed from the rules and from reading a couple of the geocaching books that have been published.

Some are historical. All are an important part of our heratage. That has a lot to do with why people are drawn to them and enjoy them though the feeling isn't the same as a day at Disney.

This is somethig I don't understand. If you believe that there is nothing wrong with a cemetery cache and you're not being disrespectful of the residents of the cemetery, why would you need to hide what you are doing? Being stealthy implies that you are doing something wrong.

Well, with any cache, you need to be stealthy if you can be seen the whole time, cemetary cache or not. Else it'll get muggled really quick.

I have quite a few cemetery hides...our area has very little public area for use. One that I like the most is a cache that includes answering questions that can be found on the memorial stone in the cemetery. The stone has info about a family that started from one being born on the Mayflower in the early 1600's while in port in MA. There's a container just off the grounds which you have to find, but I require you to email the answers to me to post.

I know, virts are no longer allowed, I know that I can't REQUIRE you to do this answering (well, I can require, but I can't really enforce), the reason for the questions is solely to get you to read the VERY interesting history found on the stone!! Would I delete any logs from cachers that don't send me the answers...not likely, I just want you to see the history!!

So far, that cache has been met with a lot of cachers who thanked me for bringing them to this historic spot!

About hauntings...my house has it's share of "spiritual dwellers", I've seen two of them VERY distinctly!! While I haven't been hurt by any, one DID cause a bit of worry when it pushed a door at my cache teammate Tod. The door nearly knocked him down the stairs. I think it was an accident, OR Tod may have irked them because he would always call them ALIENS!! True story people...I make nothing up here!!

I like them. My folks spent a few years selling headstones, so my dad would trek out to cemetaries to make rubbings of the first set of carvings so the second engraving would have the same font and flowers and things. I like cemetaries; my father taught me proper respect for both the dead and the living who come to visit, and I've always found them peaceful places. I believe those who are there are really 'at rest', and that sounds pretty peaceful to me. I don't see any problem at all with caching in cemetaries, and I'll do them probably a little more readily than others, because it's a nice open area with few visitors on any given day.

They're ok. Lots of places to hide a cache and the muggles laying there aren't going to muggle it. It is kinda weird when you get to a graveyard cache and you see the graveyard attendant burying a person. As the case was for me today when I went to Watertown, SD to geocache...Historical Tour #1 Geocache.

-Mooka520

This has been an interesting topic to read. I think that respectful hides in cemetaries are fine. To me, cemetaries are places to remember those who have gone before us and not a place where the dead are just meant to be forgotten.

We just did two cemetary caches yesterday that were place well and respectfully. We spent time wondering about what life was like when those who died in the 1800's was like and picturing there lives. The stone often say things like "in memory of" and the only way that happens is when someone visits and contemplates the past.

JD

I'm a fence straddler on this issue. I happen to love old cemeteries. In my youth, I would spend quite a bit of my time doing tombstone rubbing, trying to discern the faded writing. I think they are places of incredible peace and solitude, where one can reconnect with your inner self. I am a devout proponent of cemetery caches, (within the guidelines), and I agree that cemeteries need to be utilized for something more than just planting dead folks. That being said, I probably would not place a cemetery cache. I can control my behavior, but I can't control the behavior of others. I would feel bad if some knuckle head acted a fool in a cemetery hunting for one of my caches. Judging from some logs I've read, not everyone is capable of respectful contemplation whilst hunting ammo cans. Obviously this would not reflect badly on me as an individual, but it might cast a black mark on geocaching in general.