Adopting Geotagtracker Travel Bugs?

Wile E. Dragonfly

I picked up a TB from a site about a month ago... at the time, the person who placed the TB in the cache stated that they had picked up from Geowoodstock4 way back in May... and the site was down then, too.

So, a question out there... Does anyone reading this own this TB? It's a green and orange lizard with spots on it's body with the chain through the neck. If you think it is yours, please send me the Geotag # so that I can confirm it's the same one...

Second, if no one here claims this poor little guy, can I adopt it and make it a GC TB? I have a spare tag that I could put on it, but as there is no history... I just hate the thought of one of my TBs out there lost and alone with no friends or family... I will gladly adopt him if no one claims him. Of course, I don't want to steal a bug if the geotagtracker site for some reason is up and working again soon... But, as it has been at least a couple of months... Thoughts? Opinions? Insider knowledge?

Thanks for the help!

OH.... and another funny thing. On www.geotagtracker.com all of the links are basically non-functioning, except of course, the "order" link! I didn't actually buy anything, but it did take me to the paypal site and allowed me to put in my address and then even to put in my credit card number! I'm fairly sure that I could have actually spent money on this site... Not sure why anyone would, but there are some folks out there that are just not very internet savy so maybe...

It does have a geotagtracker ID tag on it.... But, the site to log that I have the lizzard has been down for at least 3 months... I don't want to put it in a new cache without being able to log where it is going or where it has been... and I'm not sure that the site will ever be back up. Does anyone know?

That site is not related to www.geocaching.com. But on the home page it states:

Geotag Tracker will be down for a short time. When it re-launches it will have a new look more features, and new products. If you have found a Geotag and have come here to track it, you can hold it for a short time and log your hide when the site is ready. Or you can hide the Geotag now for the next person to find. Thank you for your understanding.

If you click on "tracking" there is a place to enter a number. I am not familiar with this site and have never seen one of their tags. They do have a contact link, so try that. It is not related to www.geocaching.com.

Thanks... I already tried logging the bug and nothing happens. The site has been completely non-functional for 3 months now. I havn't gotten much feedback in these forums - maybe because no one knows anything? Oh well, can't say I havn't tried... I will keep the little guy and maybe in a few more months will adopt him as my own. I would think if the site has been down for 6 months (at some point in the future) that would qualify him as an orphan? But, I do agree, I should try to contact them... not sure if anything will result, but I have to put forth the effort. Again, thanks for the thoughts!

OH.... and another funny thing. On www.geotagtracker.com all of the links are basically non-functioning, except of course, the "order" link! I didn't actually buy anything, but it did take me to the paypal site and allowed me to put in my address and then even to put in my credit card number! I'm fairly sure that I could have actually spent money on this site... Not sure why anyone would, but there are some folks out there that are just not very internet savy so maybe...

I just noticed Geotagtracker being basically a 404 website a few days ago. Interesting that it's been down since at least May 2006, If anyone can document it being down at an earlier date, please post to the thread.

I still occasionally hear from some of my Traveler Tags, as a matter of fact, one went from Virginia to Alaska last month. That website still seems to be going strong, as far as alternative home-made travel bugs go, I guess :)

Thanks... I already tried logging the bug and nothing happens. The site has been completely non-functional for 3 months now. I havn't gotten much feedback in these forums - maybe because no one knows anything? Oh well, can't say I havn't tried... I will keep the little guy and maybe in a few more months will adopt him as my own. I would think if the site has been down for 6 months (at some point in the future) that would qualify him as an orphan? But, I do agree, I should try to contact them... not sure if anything will result, but I have to put forth the effort. Again, thanks for the thoughts!

I ran a WHOIS lookup on DNSStuff.com for geotagtracker.com You know, good old-fashioned internet stalking :)

Anyways, this lead me to finding out this is the registrant of the domain name geotagtracker.com:

Blue Web Media This may be the proprieter of the geotags themselves, or it may just be the web design firm that designed the website.

I actually didn't have to do all that, they are linked to right at the bottom of the pretty much dead geotagtracker web page :) I would try contacing Blue Web Media through the contact link on their website to see if they know anything.

Hello,

actually I am quite new to the site (Not a year). I found a geotagtracker a few weeks ago. The site does not work. Did it work since this thread was opened?

What is supposed to happen to the Bugs?

Thanks for your help

Tschakko

Greetings from the U.S.A.!! I was the last poster to the thread almost 2 years ago. :laughing: Back then, both geotagtracker.com and bluewebmedia.com still existed, but now they are both totally unreachable. There is nothing there.

You can try sending an email to bluewebmedia@gmail.com, who is listed as the owner of www.geotagtracker.com.

But most likely you have a relic from a failed website, with no way of tracking it, or no way of knowing who the geotag owner is.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Unfortunately, as I stated way back when, this is not a www.geocaching.com site, so we can't do much for you here. I think I recall someone saying a little while back that they are out of business. If I can find the thread, when I have a little more time, I will post a link here.

Greetings from the U.S.A.!! I was the last poster to the thread almost 2 years ago. :laughing: Back then, both geotagtracker.com and bluewebmedia.com still existed, but now they are both totally unreachable. There is nothing there.

You can try sending an email to bluewebmedia@gmail.com, who is listed as the owner of www.geotagtracker.com.

But most likely you have a relic from a failed website, with no way of tracking it, or no way of knowing who the geotag owner is.

I am quite surprised, I got an answer right away. :rolleyes: The site is suposed to be back up and running sometime soon, the site is down to be redesigned. The owner got side-tracked, so he said...

I still think this long time out of order may have killed a lot of the geotagtracker-bugs... :unsure:

Greetings from the U.S.A.!! I was the last poster to the thread almost 2 years ago. :) Back then, both geotagtracker.com and bluewebmedia.com still existed, but now they are both totally unreachable. There is nothing there.

I am quite surprised, I got an answer right away. :) The site is suposed to be back up and running sometime soon, the site is down to be redesigned. The owner got side-tracked, so he said...

I still think this long time out of order may have killed a lot of the geotagtracker-bugs... :anibad:

Oh, I didn't see this for several days. That's good, I'm glad they answered. I just looked at an old thread on the Navicache forums, and geotagtracker.com seems to have gone down around May of 2006!! That's quite a long time for a "redesign", and I'm sure it has killed many of the bugs.

Somewhat on topic, I understand there's a pretty recent Germany-based alternative traveler tracking site.

Hello All from BlueWEB Media and GeoTagTracker.com

In 2006 just before I took the site down, I noticed that the date info on the GeoTags was causing all the logs to be out of order if someone put a date in wrong. I pulled the tracking section of the site with the intention of fixing the problem and then got involved with another project. I didn't think people were still interested in the site until I got an email last week asking about it.

I will have this site up and running by May 1st.

I love Geocaching and Geocaching.com and the Travel Bug

Groundspeak's Travel Bug is still number one in my book. I made Geotags as a cheaper alterative that would create the same fun and promote the sport of geocaching.

My apologies to those who have/had Geotags and were disappointed to find the site down.

Hello All from BlueWEB Media and GeoTagTracker.com

I will have this site up and running by May 1st.

My apologies to those who have/had Geotags and were disappointed to find the site down.

So, any news on when the site will be back up? I know of folks in Georgia who have these travelers they need to log.

Edited by geomuse

Haven´t heard anything, the site is still down, I guess I am giving up.

Maybe I will add an Tb to the tag and adopt the geotagtracker I got

Geotagtracker.com has been resurrected as www.LeaveItSomewhere.com

The Geotagtracker.com site redirects automatically and there is support for Geotags.

My apologies to everyone who has purchased or found a Geotag and found the site down.

The very first Geotag was logged in Germany at LeaveItSomewhere by Tschakko!

The idea behind Leave It Somewhere is that you can track anything, and if you don't have a GPS can still participate.

Thanks to all...

Edited by Eartha

Now that that has been settled, this thread is closed. Geotracker is not geoaching.com related.

Further, Groundspeak does not promote moving caches, and I don't promote balloon releases. Biodegradable or not, this site is suggesting releasing balloons with film cans attached. The strings are bad, the film cans land as litter, and the balloons that don't break up end up looking like jelly fish to other fish and get eaten. Please don't do it.

We CITO! Not TITO! Closing this thread.